Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Poll: Has this winter changed your view about human affect on climate change?

West is Best

Has this winter changed your view on Global Warming?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. AGW = Anthropocentric Global Warming, in other words that humans are contributing to climate change

• It is making me think about the issue again
    • It is making me think there might be something in it afterall
    • It's changed me from a sceptic to thinking humans are partly to blame
    • It has made little or no difference: I already believed in AGW
    • It has made little or no difference: I don't believe in AGW

Posted

Is Climate Warming real: Yes

Is man is having an effect on it: Yes

Is that effect significant: Not sure

Are there other factors at work to explain events like this winter: I Think so, the recent warming has been too quick and to localised to be put down to CO2 emissions alone

Has this winter change my view on man's effect: Difficult one but NO, the amount of warming is alarming however it is being caused and this winter really serves as a focal point rather than any positive proof

Should Human's try to reduce their emissions given the evidence so far: Yes we should as we have an obligation to the planet to look after it and not treat it as one big dustbin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The NOAA have this take on December

but you can't just take one month to change someone's opinions about how 'bad' things may be.........

and for the year

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
It's NOT a fudge, it's the right answer. We CANNOT control it, because there are other factors and influences at work. If we had the mother, father and all ancestors of a volcanic eruption next week then we would see how little influence we have in the face of major forcing. But, as part of the system, we CAN - and do - influence it. There IS no other correct answer. If we're not influencing climate then please account for the urban heat island!

SF, although I disagree with your overall view on this subject I am open to the sense behind many of your comments. However I think your reference to urban heat islands is misleading in the context of global warming and climate change. The effect to which you refer is a short range radiant heat output, acting in exactly the same way as a central heating radiator, rather than the result of an imposed chemical imbalance. It could be argued I suppose that the cumulative effect of all urban heat islands might theoretically increase global temperature by a tiny amount, but the practical effect (in a field ten miles away, say,) is zero and there is no proof that climate is influenced, although local weather may be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
If global warming is happeneing, how come I've spent more on logs this year than last?

Debate over I think.

Feeling colder is a natural process within the elderly/ageing (ooh, me bloods thinning).

Posted

It's just the vagaries of Nature. It is also the current media "bandwagon". Give it a few more years and the media will be bleating on about the next "thing" that will bring an end to civilisation, as we know it, Jim.

What do I base my opinion on? Over half a century of living on this Earth!

Notwithstanding the above, we should repect our planet and should not abuse it's bounty.

Posted
backed up by the computers.

you only have to look at computer generated graphs to see that is the case - no corruption there.

I sincerely believe that these can be (and are) manipulated to some degree by people with "agendas".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

My opinion has been changes somewhat in that I have gone from believing that GW was around 5% anthropogenic to perhaps 10-15%. I still believe that in 20-30 years (if I am still around) that we will be looking back on this period as 'the great overstatement/panic/error' of the scientific age.

Only the most rabid GW sceptic could refuse to acknowledge that the post-industrial era has affected our climate but I do think it coincides with a confluence of other factors too, such as the NAO cycle, sunspot activity, low volcanicity levels, Milankovitch cycles, etc.

Also, let's not forget about the debate over the 'urban island' issue............ :unknw::(

AM

Posted
If global warming is happeneing, how come I've spent more on logs this year than last?

Debate over I think.

Yeah, good point: I've spent a barrel load more on oil.

Posted
It's made me think that this is typical "El Nino" British winter.

Erm, it is, only warmer? Or has Europe seen such a spell before? Has Moscow seen such mildness? Has the Baltic seen so little ice? I find that hard to believe.

But, I've wondered about this. So, I looked up the charts for 1916 in the Met O library (the warmest Jan in the record). It was undoubtedly warm - for example monthly max temperature at Benson 58F. However, there was also a bone chilling spell of weather at Spitzbergen (next time I must look at other places, I was kind of doing a NAO temps thingy) with temperatures below -40C and the max temperature for the month of about -6C. Check out what it's been like there this year.

I did a similar excercise with Jan 1921 (another mild month). Again, undoubtedly mild here. This time I thought about Europe and checked Stockholm, so far 1921 was colder there. Lowest morning temp -17C (not the min in think, morning) ~17 frost. It's been warmer there this year I think.

So, the more I look (and I'll look again) the more I'm convinced this year is exceptional, and not just EN. And that's what the graphas and figures we've seen so often show.

Edited by Devonian

Posted
well i have sparked many a discussion on the subject, mainly because i am a firm believer in the fact that we are responsible for our climate. to what degree is debatable (for me) but whether it is a minute effect or massive effect. mankind is having an impact. (imo).

there is no swaying in my thoughts that the global climate is reacting to environmental issues such as pollution/carbon emmissions/greenhouse gases/rainforest depletion etc etc. and until these issues are addressed we (as in mankind) will never be able to judge just how bad things are. i defy anyone to reasonably argue that if in the next 12 months all of the above were to stop, that the climate would not react differently. the world population continues to grow, the ice caps are receeding, deforestation continues, car/aircraft emmissions are increasing.......... even if these have no effect whatsoever on the earths climate. they surely need addressing as a matter of urgency. Our natural resources cannot sustain the earths population in future years, but then without a temperate/seasonal climate who would it need to sustain?

I totally agree with all you have said Mick - it just seems that some people will not accept that we are the main cause of this predicament and prefer to adhere to the fact that it is due to 'natural causes'.

China and USA are the biggest polluters by far and as I have said before, I doubt anything constructive will be done about it until it is of course too late. However, we all adapt - evolution is a logical thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Is Climate Warming real: Yes

Is man is having an effect on it: Yes

Is that effect significant: Not sure

Are there other factors at work to explain events like this winter: I Think so, the recent warming has been too quick and to localised to be put down to CO2 emissions alone

Has this winter change my view on man's effect: Difficult one but NO, the amount of warming is alarming however it is being caused and this winter really serves as a focal point rather than any positive proof

Should Human's try to reduce their emissions given the evidence so far: Yes we should as we have an obligation to the planet to look after it and not treat it as one big dustbin

I think my answers would be much the same.

Posted
I still believe that it is highly unlikely that "personkind" has any influence on our climate.

I agree with John. The earth is warming up, but the overall increase in temperature during the past 50 years is less than 1 degree C.

The increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide is the result of global warming, and not the cause. This is because warming of the oceans causes dissolved carbon dioxide to be expelled into the atmosphere.

Myths about global warming can be found at: http://www.friendsofscience.org

Posted

Welcome to the forum hiphil, that's some way to get off the mark. Ha. I suspect your post count will increase rapidly if you respond to all the rebuttals that are about to come in.