Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Romania- mild winter as well

Posted

Hello there,

Been reading your forum for some time now, and I have to say that it's great, the vastness of information about the weather that you guys possess is remarcable.

Now about the weather in Romania. Well as you probably can imagine it's warm over here,and it has been warm (7-8 C above normal) evrey day since the 4th of the month, december was... also warm.

The romanian meteorologists said at the begining of the month that the weather will cool down after January the 17 but that dosen't seem to happen, so I was wondering, do you have any information about East Europe weather ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Hello there,

Been reading your forum for some time now, and I have to say that it's great, the vastness of information about the weather that you guys possess is remarcable.

Now about the weather in Romania. Well as you probably can imagine it's warm over here,and it has been warm (7-8 C above normal) evrey day since the 4th of the month, december was... also warm.

The romanian meteorologists said at the begining of the month that the weather will cool down after January the 17 but that dosen't seem to happen, so I was wondering, do you have any information about East Europe weather ?

I don't have information as such, but I know your warmth is being cause by the same reason ours - endless streams of lows going over Europe, you must have had quite a bit of rain.

I imagine that if it does cool down, I would say that areas like Orsova which are protected all around by Mountains could well maintain the highest temperatures. I think first before you cool down though, the Atlantic will have to stop creatng low pressure systems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i saw tht moscow reached 8c yesterday or thursday!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

8C must surely be a record for Moscow; I recall the January record there being somewhere around 4-5C.

That said, it was snowing in Moscow at 1C yesterday according to Yahoo! Weather, so they must finally have had a bit of snow- the record was probably hit on Thursday then. They had a virtually snowless December according to the BBC- which must be truly exceptional.

(Btw, 1C is still well above average for Moscow and some Januarys don't reach 1C during the entire month- the long-term average max is -6C!)

In Romania you probably need some cold winds from the N and NE to bring those temperatures down; those don't look to me like happening anytime soon.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
In Romania you probably need some cold winds from the N and NE to bring those temperatures down; those don't look to me like happening anytime soon.

Just what the GFS is showing at t+264:

post-1052-1168700687_thumb.png

... all the way down to Greece. Been a few winters recently where SE Europe has been cold and snowy while we've been basking in mildness in the UK.

Posted

Thank you for your replays, and thank you Nick F for that GFS, it's beautiful :unknw:

Been a few winters recently where SE Europe has been cold and snowy while we've been basking in mildness in the UK.

Indeed, we've had some good winters, especially last year (just check out the pictures below which were taken in January 2006 at the shore of the Black Sea), but, unfortunately, SE Europe is following the general trend of global warming, no question about it.

post-6670-1168780635_thumb.jpg

post-6670-1168780732_thumb.jpg

post-6670-1168780768_thumb.jpg

post-6670-1168780795_thumb.jpg