Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How is wind created?

Lazz

Posted

Hi

Does anyone know how wind is made and what creates gusts? Cause it seems to come out of nowhere but it will be interesting to know how its made. :whistling:

Posted

I've just unblocked my drains and I think the answer is down to kidney beans and chick peas.

Meteorologically speaking, have a look here... http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/weatherwise/f...ocalwinds.shtml

Posted
Hi

Does anyone know how wind is made and what creates gusts? Cause it seems to come out of nowhere but it will be interesting to know how its made. :lol:

Further to Os's excellent link...wind is simply an energy flow: two things drive wind..variation in temperature and variation in pressure. If you imagine the air above you as a giant column, then the greater the amount of air above you (all other thingsbeing equal) the greater the pressure. Now, imagine this were like a tube of toothpaste and it got squeezed, then air would want to flow out. In simple terms that's all wind is, a movement of air from high to low pressure, hence why the wind flows OUT of a HP across (NOT ALONG!!!) the isobars, and into a LP (again, across the isobars).

The jet stream is the stringest wind and arises because cold polar air, and warmer more moist tropical air cool at different rates. That means that as you climb higher, the differential is greater, and energy wants to transfer from warm to cold (the thermal gradient); however, because of the spin of the earth instead offlowing in a straight line, the wind gets deflected to the E.

Gusty wind is more pronounced close to the surface than higher up, and is largely a function of how "rough" the earths surface is. Even shallow valleys can cause significant eddys in a cross wind, which is why airfield tend to be located in large plains. LBA excepted, of course.

Posted

I still think OON is right.. Beans do have this natural effect..

SF is just being a show off and using scientific rubbish.. :lol: