Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Metcheck

Cookie

Posted

I would be interested to know what you think of metcheck? I hear mostly scathing comments on its forecasts, but short term, their forecasts are generally spot on for my area, and they are being highly conservative for this week. I do not have any kind of premium membership so have no access to their preferred models.

Posted
I would be interested to know what you think of metcheck? I hear mostly scathing comments on its forecasts, but short term, their forecasts are generally spot on for my area, and they are being highly conservative for this week. I do not have any kind of premium membership so have no access to their preferred models.

not really the thread for this maybe move! But metcheck are purely based upon the GFS output changing after each run for the short term. they forecast my location 7cm. of snow for this thursday yesterday now they are forecasting rain! (incidently they are the only operation that correctly called a storm in 2005!)

Posted
metcheck have issued an advanced warning must of been on the blower to robert and his spirits sorry off topic :cold:

They had one since yesterday, theyve just gone into a little more detail this morning.

Posted

Interesting to see a massive difference between Metcheck's forecast for BH23 (Bournemouth Airport) and Net Weather's forecast for today and tomorrow. Both claim to be derived from the 0z GFS run - is this a factor of the resolution difference or do Net Weather factor in a UHI calculation?

Going by the observations, it would seem that Metcheck's forecast is closer to the mark so far today. Has anybody else noticed big differences like this?

Metcheck:

post-2410-1171015508_thumb.jpg

Net Weather Today:

post-2410-1171015617_thumb.jpg

Net Weather Tomorrow:

post-2410-1171015642_thumb.jpg

Meteogram:

post-2410-1171015690_thumb.png

Posted

If you look at the uk temps from the 00z, they're more in agreement with the figures on netweather, as I understand it metcheck apparently use the raw data from the GFS for their forecasts, so how they're coming to those figures I'm not sure. We do put some adjustments in for height, locations etc, so ours isn't exactly the same. The reason for that level of difference between the two, I'm not sure - metchecks is way too low when compared with the raw data and their max for today has already been exceeded at 9am.

Ours is a bit high, currently, probably due to the proximity to the sea skewing the figure a little - the landmass is much colder than just a short distance to the sea at the moment but ours more accurately reflect the data it's supposed to be based on!

post-2-1171017089_thumb.png

post-2-1171017097_thumb.png

Posted

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp?zipcode=Sn15 YES PLEASE!!!

Has this got any chance of happening, even if it is a bit warmer than that???

i know its a loooooooooong way off, but could it? or is just just one of those long range forecasts that fluctuates from -20C to 20C within a few hours?

Posted
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/14days.asp?zipcode=Sn15 YES PLEASE!!!

Has this got any chance of happening, even if it is a bit warmer than that???

i know its a loooooooooong way off, but could it? or is just just one of those long range forecasts that fluctuates from -20C to 20C within a few hours?

Metcheck is not the best place in the world to get acurete forecasts then again there proberly not the worst

• 3 months later...
Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Properably updating, was working fine earlier this morning

Nigel

Posted

Metcheck seems to of completely died, anyone got a clue whats happened, i noticed they were experiencing problems yesterday as the server status was coming up as red for everything and as of 9am this morning the site hasnt woke up??

Anyone heard anything??

Posted

Its been down most of the day

I emailed HQ this morning and im still waiting for a reply, usually they respond pretty quickly , im suspecting the Server has gone down , and they are trying to repair it

Nigel

Posted

its very stange for them to go down all day, i agree with you that the server has gone down, hopefully all be fixed soon

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
Metcheck seems to of completely died, anyone got a clue whats happened, i noticed they were experiencing problems yesterday as the server status was coming up as red for everything and as of 9am this morning the site hasnt woke up??

Anyone heard anything??

They actually got a forecast right and the server blew up in surprise.

Dunno why anyone bothers looking at them. Complete waste of time. I suppose you can buy equipment from them which is the only saving grace.

Posted

:lol: They are probably still camping and forgot to put money in the meter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
They actually got a forecast right and the server blew up in surprise.

Dunno why anyone bothers looking at them. Complete waste of time. I suppose you can buy equipment from them which is the only saving grace.

lol still off on mine, they gave 2oC and snow for a time on may 28th :lol:

Posted

Metcheck is back on

nigel