Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mowing the lawn in winter

Great Plum

Posted

Hi all,

I've recently moved to a new place which has a relatively substantial lawn (actually the garden is all lawn at the moment!)

The grass has grown throughout the winter so far - should I mow it? The thing is is that the ground is quite wet and pushing my petrol mower across this could do more damage I think...

Posted

I remember asking this question last year. The answer was there is nothing stopping you cutting it as long as a sharp frost doesn't form. Cheeseburger is a green keeper - he'll keep you right!

Posted

Hi Great Plum, we have the same problem on the golf course at the moment. If the land is really wet i'd be tempted to leave mowing, as you could damage the soil structure, causing compaction and root break.

The more leaf blade you can leave during winter, the happier the grass will be due to a larger area for photosyntesis.

Maybe the upcoming cold spell will knock the growth back and you could wait till spring to mow?

If you do mow, try to do it on a dry day, with a sharp mower and dont take more than a third of the leaf away. Being too aggressive might stress the grass causing bare patches and moss infestation.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I should cut mine too Mondy but the ground is still too wet. You can pull out the grass roots with very little effort and the lawn is bald enough with the kids running on it.. :lol:

Posted

On our country estate I use a sheep to keep the grass down. I do get some funny looks pushing it around though.

Posted

I cut my lawn yesterday.

Got fed up with looking at 4" grass and it being trod down by the kids! lol

Must say it looks rather good now!

Posted
Being too aggressive might stress the grass causing bare patches and moss infestation.
That's where I'm going wrong then.

:lol:

You have bare patches and moss infestation? You'll have caught that from Mr. Nil then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
As the lawn resembles a marsh at the moment I couldn't cut the grass even if I wanted to! :lol:

You and me both, it desperately needs cutting but i would need catapillar tracks on the mower to do it :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Ah, the joys of a Flymo and a postage stamp sized lawn! done my 5 mins of hard labour and we're back to neat and tidy......

Posted
Ah, the joys of a Flymo and a postage stamp sized lawn! done my 5 mins of hard labour and we're back to neat and tidy......

I need to do mine - but the flymo is set really low and I don't know how to adjust the grass cut height of it - my cats are making a muddy track down one side of the garden which is really starting to look odd as well! (and it is not even a straight line!!!!)