Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worst Weather Event you Have Experienced?

Costa Del Fal

Posted
Winter 2006/2007

Well last year goes into one of my favourite winters. :cold:

As i was saying this winter has been awful!

Its hardly been :oops: !

Agree there like last winter was great, so far this is the worst winter I`ve seen yet but it could easily change and if we do get a major cold spell it could be memorable especially after the storms.

And the record breaking autumn is another.

The winter of 1987/88 was extremely dissappointing after the previous winters. :oops:

Summer of 1988 as Summer of 95 said and a more recent one in 2004 never known such a wet summer,the thunderstorms made up for that though in august.

I love thunderstorms but one in 1985 was frightening,not seen one like that since. :)

There are more but must dash.

The severe gales of week last Thursday. The worst gales I could remember.

That`s interesting same here,except it was exciting/Scary at the same time.

It was worse than Jan 1990,much more violent I thought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
How come? :)

It was on a board and the board got destroyed!

Oh we had to get out of bed at 3am before it flys away! Seriously! :cold:

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
It was on a board and the board got destroyed!

Phwoar! I don't think any of us have ever experienced wind that bad before. Glad I wasn't there, that's all I can say - did it really destroy the Christmas lights? That's blasphemy, wind shouldn't be directed at Christmas decorations...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

No but it could of stretched the cable and destroyed completely but thankfully it didnt i think!

:cold::)

Posted

Another quite bad expreience was on holiday at woolacombe. The wind was so bad it was pushing me back! :):cold:

I think that was in Summer 2005.

I was going to body board in the sea. Eventually i got there and the waves were Massive!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Worst conditions for me was November 20th 2006, driving from Calgary to Canmore, about an hours drive on the highway. It was thick fog that suddently turned to the heaviest snow I have ever seen. Complete white out conditions and snow so heavy (about 3 inches per hour) You could not make out the road from the verge from the middle or see a foot infront of you. Had to stop for 30 minutes until it got slightly lighter (still easily over an inch an hour still) and travelled at 10 mph on the main highway for the next hour until I got out of the storm.

Luckily for the rumble strips on the side of the road, I could hear that I was touching the edge of the road so it guided me through it. Scary stuff but amazing how quickly conditions can change

Posted

Jan 1977 aged 12yrs.. on the sat went with my mate to Combe Martin to babysquash her sisters kids while they went to a wedding.. Started snowing at midday and continued for 3 whole days the whole village and also North Devon was cut off for over 2/3 weeks we had no electric.. But we were ok because we had a raburn. snow was up past the windows and we had to dig ourselves out.. Manage to make a sledge and go up and down the village getting food ect for the older people.. chopper had to drop food into us.. Tried to walk ontop of the hedges to get home but kept droping through the gateways.. I have to say it was the best time of my life ... an event i will never forget.

lol kaz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It would probably have to be the period I spent in northern France on 3-9 August 2003, when temperatures reached 35-40C every day and fell no lower than 20-25C at night. It was interesting, perhaps, to see what 40C felt like, but it wasn't an experience I would want to repeat- I can cope with 25-30C these days, but not that kind of heat.

My least favourite month for weather in the past 15 years was March 1996; I remember it being cold, dull, and not especially snowy either. That title would probably have gone to January 1996 (just 5 hours of sunshine in Tynemouth and 8 in Durham) had it not been for the snowfalls of the 25th-27th. November 1997 and December 2002 were close runner-ups.

Strangely enough, my favourite February of the past 15 years occurred in 1996; two "least favourites" of their type sandwiching a "favourite", illustrating the weather's capacity for providing paradoxes.

Posted
It would probably have to be the period I spent in northern France on 3-9 August 2003, when temperatures reached 35-40C every day and fell no lower than 20-25C at night. It was interesting, perhaps, to see what 40C felt like, but it wasn't an experience I would want to repeat- I can cope with 25-30C these days, but not that kind of heat.

My least favourite month for weather in the past 15 years was March 1996; I remember it being cold, dull, and not especially snowy either. That title would probably have gone to January 1996 (just 5 hours of sunshine in Tynemouth and 8 in Durham) had it not been for the snowfalls of the 25th-27th. November 1997 and December 2002 were close runner-ups.

Strangely enough, my favourite February of the past 15 years occurred in 1996; two "least favourites" of their type sandwiching a "favourite", illustrating the weather's capacity for providing paradoxes.

I agree sometimes it gets way to hot to stand but i prefer hot than cold!

Posted

March 1996 had some snow here midmonth, the 12-13-14th all had snow cover. I agree most of the month was very dull (until the last few days) and that got a bit depressing, January 1996 likewise was dreadful until about the 20th when it suddenly got exciting (freezing rain, snow, ice days).

As for my least favourite of the last 15 years there are lots of candidates:

February 1997 which I mentioned in another thread; non-stop mild wet westerly muck without any snow, very little frost and few dry days. A month I particularly disliked because it spoilt a decent winter.

November and December 2002 in Newcastle where I was at the time were truly horrid: mild, dull, wet then an easterly which brought nothing but cloud and drizzle. Worse than Jan or Mar 1996 because of the lack of wintry weather and the length of the sunless period (mid Nov to mid-Dec must have matched Jan 1996 for dullness).

October 2004: dull, wet but not record-breakingly so, and mild with very little temperature variation.

The worst summer month is a tie between August 1992 and June 1997.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Quite a bit of agreement there, from my perspective. I spent most of November and December 2002 in Lancaster, where sunshine was close to the long-term average; the southerlies brought showery mobile weather while the easterlies brought sunny intervals- but I certainly remember my parents commenting on how dull it was in the North East (as was the case when I came back for the Christmas holidays). Maybe if I'd been in the North East for most of those months, they may have beaten Jan & Mar 1996 (and as you say, probably mainly due to lack of wintry spells as well as dullness)

I'd also agree with your choice of June 1997 for worst summer month (there was almost no sun here from the 22nd onwards, and frequent maxima of 10-12C and lots of persistent rain)- I can't comment on August 1992 as I didn't take as much notice of the weather back then, though I remember a very wet day on the 13th and a cool bright morning on the 14th.

Posted
So Blizzards, would you say any particular bout of wind has been your worst event? or has there been worse things caused by the weather?

The wind in December? Its certainly been the worst wind i have experienced. Anyway your only a few miles away from here so im sure we had the same weather but perhaps it just seemed worse here as a board for the christmas lights was broke!

:lol:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

I an plane, trying to land in a thunderstorm, with a tornado on the ground at Tarbes airport in SW France. Think it was May 2000. The worst turbulence you could imagine, we should have been diverted to Toulouse, but it was too late.

Then when we did land, the terminal had no power, trees were down and roofs damaged. As the stair thingy came over to the plane, it was struck by lightening - a matter of metres away.

It was all a bit much.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
I an plane, trying to land in a thunderstorm, with a tornado on the ground at Tarbes airport in SW France. Think it was May 2000. The worst turbulence you could imagine, we should have been diverted to Toulouse, but it was too late.

Then when we did land, the terminal had no power, trees were down and roofs damaged. As the stair thingy came over to the plane, it was struck by lightening.

It was all a bit much.

Yeah i understand that would be a bit much! lol!

Ive gone on holiday many times but never suffered a thunderstorm in air...yet. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

The thunderstorm that hit Plymouth around the 13th of July 1995. I'll been at work all day working hard in a hot telephone exchange in Plymouth City Centre- finished and we got news of problem thunderstorms coming from France that night on Spotlight from Craig Rich.

I can remember going to bed at 1030pm (work night, still single, good boy in those days being 21! :lol: ) and the thunder starting. Honestly it never stopped all night- only got about 1/2 hr kip and the lightening was seriously amazing. Two houses behind my parents got hit (being slightly higher), the rain was unbelieveable.

I can remember two important things following that night. Firstly was the amount of Plymouthians walking around at lunchtime like zombies from lack of sleep (my boss let me go early as I'd done all the work and there was no point in having someone 1/2 asleep when the 3pm shift took over and they'd had a few hours unlike the early crew).

Secondly and sadly my aunt died from a heart attack that following night. The Doctor and coroner were convinced it was down to the sheer amount of electrical activity around Plymouth and West Devon that night :lol:

Posted
I had to go commando and drive through a field (past downed trees) to get home. Sweet! :lol:

:o :lol: What? You took your pants off to drive through the field? :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

The worst weather I have experienced is 4 days of prolonged light drizzle :lol: :lol:

The best weather I've experienced -

Hurricane of Oct 1987

Some great summer thunderstorms I've chased across East Anglia since 2002

Haverhill Gales/Tornado's Jan 2007 :lol:

Mammatus

Edited by Mammatus

Posted
No Blackie.

My pants were BLOWN off I was cacking it so much :lol: :lol:

I was driving a VW Polo at the time :lol:

Did someone put you in the back with one of those fisher price console things and told you to drive??