Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worst Weather Event you Have Experienced?

Costa Del Fal

Posted

See my post 26 th december 1998, that was the worst

The winter of 1981/82 seconed, minus 20+ for days/weeks, i live on a farm,

they had to bring 1000 gallon plastic bags for the milk as tankers could not get here.

milking cows was a nightmare, things froze so fast

January 2005, the storm that flooded carlisle, not as bad as the '98 one though.

Will never forget a thunder storm that passed over on dec31st 1974/ 1st jan 1975, a real banger, woke everybody up.

And that wiered summer of 2007, one day i saw a literal wall of water, it came towards me, a few yards from me it went in another direction

i looked up and saw clouds, black nasty ones going across each other, it looked like water spouts was about to happen, it diddent

but not good anyway, and in march/april that year i was wallpapering for a friend and saw hail stones the size of tennis balls

Posted

The worst weather I can recall goes back to 1957,returning home from RAF Stafford on what had been a reasonable day,as I approached Ripon the rain started and got heavier and heavier,I drove the car onto the A1 and within minutes the road became a river and it was impossible to drive-every car jusy pulled into the edge and the torrential rain lasted for some time,however once it stopped the road became passable again fairly rapidly.

Posted

It was 2004 I cant remember which month exactly however it was during one of the later Autumn storms, getting caught out whilst on a Bird-Hunt for a elusive Grey Shrike in a town nearby. The first clue should have been when there was no sign of the Shrike whatsoever, the winds had picked up and I was finding it increasingly difficult to balance in the gusts.

The walk back to the station was even more precarious, the station being on a exposed hillside surrounded by a small forest. Small twigs and branches began breaking off in the Autumn foliage and having to side-step this. Awaiting the train I boarded and waited, and waited, and waited. Then came on the tannoy that a tree had fallen on the line and we'd be somewhat delayed. Not too much of a problem we all thought.

So 25 minutes later we began to move along the tracks, again this stretch of line is along a embankment exposed to straightline winds, and my main concern was the gradual rocking motion of the train from the wind. I thought at any second it was going to go over, and rearranged myself into a better seat accordingly. We then came to a halt where workmen were clearing the line, unfortunately either side of us was tree's towering overhead. Some bending so the kinetic energy from the wind was being dispersed, but the stronger tree's were dangerously close to breaking over the carriages. It literally was white-knuckles for those 20 minutes while the workmen were rushing to clear the line. I've never been more relieved before we finally got moving again and out of that area. Hearing on the radio when I got home, the line was blocked again from fallen tree's in that exact place.