Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather software etc

robert

Posted

Hello,

I have been looking around the net for some weather software that will allow me to forecast. I will also use this with my own way of forecasting! 8)

I was looking at http://www.martasystems.com/Yosemite/flash/yosemitemain.htm yes I know it is expensive but would it do the job i want and do you think it would be weather newbie friendly!

I am also interested in home weather station setup but unsure which is the better to go for Davis etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Robert

Edited by robert

Posted
I'd recommend Netweather extra for the weather info you want :lol:

As for stations, the best are Davis, but all depends on what you want to pay.

with all the import & all the other tax's i would do what paul says

Posted
I'd recommend Netweather extra for the weather info you want :lol:

As for stations, the best are Davis, but all depends on what you want to pay.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I had thought about getting NE Extra and shall be doing :lol:

I am pleased you told me the best were Davis as that was the one I was going to go for but was unsure.

The other software I mentioned it is very expensive but I am not exactly sure for that price would it be worth it in the long term.

It does state: Economical High-End Forecaster Software

Contour GRIB Model Data onto Satellite & Nexrad

Commercial Web Site Content Generator

24-bit Color with 8-bit Alpha Channel for Smooth Color Blending

Runs under Windows 2000 & XP

Compatible with NOAA-Port and All NWS/WMO Data Types

So I assume I would easily be able to make my own forecasts from the charts. It says it is not based on elaborate programing scripts, designed for the end user not UNIX programmers! So I take it should be quite easy to use?

I basically will be using it in conjunction with the unconventional way I forecast! :)

Thanks again for your reply much appreciated.

Robert

Posted

Just let Paul/Karl do the hard work and produce the interpretations on NW extra and the use a quality weather station like the Davis to record the results. It really is the best option.

Steve.

Posted

Thanks Barry,Steve, Paul

I will give it some good thought over the coming days before I decide anything about that software. I don't need it for the USA :rolleyes:

Robert

Posted

yes use the Net Wx Extra and data we have put in the Guides to help with trying to work out a forecast.

Mind you there is no better way than to start a course in meteorology, either full time at university, or by reading and searching the web for data. You do need the background knowledge to be able to understand what any programme is telling you.

And yes the Davis is the best one, and the most expensive.

Have a look on my site for ideas on what to use and how to use them to prepare a forecast. You may find it interesting.

regards

John

Posted

Thanks again for all your help.

I am deciding the best place to get the Davis pro 2 from. I was looking at this one http://www.skyview.co.uk/dept1/acatalog/Wi...irated_Rad.html

It also comes with a freeMaxi-installation kit. So i suppose will be easier for me to set it up out of the box?

Robert

Posted

I forgot to add re my last post. Does anyone know if that version is completely wireless. I mean will I need to run any cable from the house by drilling etc if anyone knows it would help as I can then plan ahead. Thanks again

Robert

Posted

Skyview delivered my new Wireless VP2 last week and I installed it at the weekend...an absolute doddle and it works flawlessly. I was always a bit nervous about wireless but it's actually far better than the cabled one which I had end of problems with. The only potentially annoying thing about the wireless version is you still have to connect the anemometer to the main rain/temperature gauge with a cable...unless you're clever like me and get an additional anemometer wireless transmitter kit, then it's almost all wireless.

Posted
Skyview delivered my new Wireless VP2 last week and I installed it at the weekend...an absolute doddle and it works flawlessly. I was always a bit nervous about wireless but it's actually far better than the cabled one which I had end of problems with. The only potentially annoying thing about the wireless version is you still have to connect the anemometer to the main rain/temperature gauge with a cable...unless you're clever like me and get an additional anemometer wireless transmitter kit, then it's almost all wireless.

Thank you very much for that information.

I will look on their site and see if I can find that kit as it maybe a good way around that.

Do you recommend the WeatherLink data logger?

Also any other good software you know of that will work with it.

Thanks again it is much appreciated I shall be putting my order in tomorrow of before I go to bed :D

Robert

Posted

I use the weatherlink and have never had a problem. You need it for the data logger anyway. I think the software comes free in effect.

Got some money burning a hole in your pocket?!

Posted
I use the weatherlink and have never had a problem. You need it for the data logger anyway. I think the software comes free in effect.

Got some money burning a hole in your pocket?!

Well yes a little :whistling:

I thought I may as well treat myself. That other software I was looking at in my original post above is very expensive but it does look good and I was considering that as it says it can work with the Davis. I suppose there is a lot of other software out there that also works with it and I shall have a scout around on the net to see what I can find.

P.S. I shall also get Net Weather extra :lol: so not leaving that out. I shall get it same time I put my order for the Davis I think.

Robert

Posted

Forgot to add!

Only part I will hate is getting it up on a mast! I hate heights lol :D

Flying is a different matter as your enclosed lol but looking down from above in open area tends to make me freeze! :cold: :lol:

Robert