Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Pt 4

Posted
I don't think comments of 5-10cm being laughable are helping. I think 10cm is quite significant for these times, 15cm would be a good fall for any decade. I think a lot of older people see the past with 'snow goggles' I'm pretty sure back then 10-15cm would have got them looking out the window and not staying indoors thinking "that's a nice dusting of snow"

:)

Not at all-if anywhere in the Midlands gets 15cm i'll eat my hat! I really hope it happens but i think this is been way over ramped :rolleyes: Wait see i guess...........

Posted
Are Derby and Nottingham too far north to see the heaviest falls. The BBC and Met Office forecast is very good however some on this board are predicting it to be more of a Birmingham area thing which would be highly annoying knowing a place a few miles down the road is getting a good dumping. I could be soo soo close bet yet again no cigar.

I think your smack bang in the middle of it mate, your area would probably see the most of it.

Posted
Are Derby and Nottingham too far north to see the heaviest falls. The BBC and Met Office forecast is very good however some on this board are predicting it to be more of a Birmingham area thing which would be highly annoying knowing a place a few miles down the road is getting a good dumping. I could be soo soo close bet yet again no cigar.

no you should be fine anywhere north of you though could struggle :rolleyes:

Posted

why is my nw extra 5min radar not showing 5mins ago its at 16.25

Posted

Irish Met office are giving 2cm to 6cm of snow for anywhere north of Wexford, the real question here is when it will turn to sleet and rain with the warm air coming in behind the front.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
Exactly :rolleyes:

Interesting to see the metoffice disruption map - it's improved for southern areas with only the extreme coastal areas falling outside of the 70% disruption area. Previously, most of the southern counties - Doreset, Hampshire, E+W Sussex etc were firmly in the 30% area.

I'm glad you can get on to the Met Office website: I can only get occasional entry, and little or no navigation within it; the rest of the time I either get my ISP (AOL)'s timeout page, or a met office notice & apology explaining that the site's unavailable because of high visitor demand. I've been trying all afternoon.

I will restrain from ranting about this here, as I have already done so in the media forecasts section of the forum. But could anyone who has managed to get on tell me what the latest warning/forecast says - there was apparently an update just after 4pm?

This is not just idle curiosity, by the way: my girlfriend desperately needs to know the latest position before she leaves work, as she may have to cancel a load of patient's appointments tomorrow morning (she's a clinical psychologist), not to mention her child minder, if there are likely to be substantial traffic delays in North or West London between 7.30 and 10am

Posted
What do think our chances are of seeing anything overnight ?

I have to drive up to Sonning at 4 in the morning and am getting concerned.

or have i been reading to many threads lately

you may get 4-6 inches in Reading.

Posted
Irish Met office are giving 2cm to 6cm of snow for anywhere north of Wexford, the real question here is when it will turn to sleet and rain with the warm air coming in behind the front.

I would say that your inland. The snow will begin to fall and settle. Evarorative cooling. You will probrably see snow all the way through I would have thought. Further North the better obviously but this is countered with your location. Inland areas of Britian and Ireland are going to do VERY well indeed out of this.

BTW 2 - 6cm? Maybe on the Coast but your looking at far more then that inland and further North. 10 - 15cms. Significant amounts.

Edited by Darkman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
loved Roger's quote

I think FI has magically broken through into real time

at last!

What's FI anyone?

Andy

Posted

Funny how people start to worry, LOL. The movement of the LOW will ensure the precip moves across as forecast. I'd also expect there to be plenty of precip down into France that will move up too.

Posted
Arrrghhhh

yes the radar is showing it heading Due North.

What the hell ?

its going in the right direction dont panic, at least thats how its shown on the netweather radar

Posted
I think your smack bang in the middle of it mate, your area would probably see the most of it.

It feels too good to be true that tommorow there is a major snow event rather than FI. I would listen to the BBC and take note of their predictions. For that snow event in January they got it bang on despite many claiming London wouldnt see nothing yet even Central London had a dusting.

Posted
I will restrain from ranting about this here, as I have already done so in the media forecasts section of the forum. But could anyone who has managed to get on tell me what the latest warning/forecast says - there was apparently an update just after 4pm?

This is what I see

London & South East EnglandHeavy Snow0100 Thu 81500 Thu 8This is an update to the warning issued on Tuesday 6 February 2007 The Met Office is expecting a period of heavy snow to develop across much of Wales and parts of Southwest England early on Thursday, extending to the Midlands, London, the Southeast of England and East Anglia during the morning. Some snow is now also expected to reach Northern Ireland, with a risk to parts of northern England before dying away from all areas by Thursday evening. Accumulations of 2-5cm are expected quite widely inland, with 10-15cm possible for parts of the Midlands and Wales. Rain is more likely close to southern coasts and across most of Devon and Cornwall. The period of snow could cause disruption to travel networks, especially across high level routes and the fact that timing of this event will coincide with the morning rush-hour. This warning will be superseded by Flash Messages.

Posted
I'm glad you can get on to the Met Office website: I can only get occasional entry, and little or no navigation within it; the rest of the time I either get my ISP (AOL)'s timeout page, or a met office notice & apology explaining that the site's unavailable because of high visitor demand. I've been trying all afternoon.

This is not just idle curiosity, by the way: my girlfriend desperately needs to know the latest position before she leaves work, as she may have to cancel a load of patient's appointments tomorrow morning (she's a clinical psychologist), not to mention her child minder, if there are likely to be substantial traffic delays in North or West London between 7.30 and 10am

This is the latest on met office site:

This is an update to the warning issued on Tuesday 6 February 2007 The Met Office is expecting a period of heavy snow to develop across much of Wales and parts of Southwest England early on Thursday, extending to the Midlands, London, the Southeast of England and East Anglia during the morning. Some snow is now also expected to reach Northern Ireland, with a risk to parts of northern England before dying away from all areas by Thursday evening. Accumulations of 2-5cm are expected quite widely inland, with 10-15cm possible for parts of the Midlands and Wales. Rain is more likely close to southern coasts and across most of Devon and Cornwall. The period of snow could cause disruption to travel networks, especially across high level routes and the fact that timing of this event will coincide with the morning rush-hour. This warning will be superseded by Flash Messages.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Thank you OP

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

The temperature is gradually falling here but I think the best we will get is sleet, I think the temps will be a bit too high. Would love to be wrong. It's currently 3.1C and has now clouded over, not good for a a temperature fall.

Posted
This is what I see

London & South East EnglandHeavy Snow0100 Thu 81500 Thu 8This is an update to the warning issued on Tuesday 6 February 2007 The Met Office is expecting a period of heavy snow to develop across much of Wales and parts of Southwest England early on Thursday, extending to the Midlands, London, the Southeast of England and East Anglia during the morning. Some snow is now also expected to reach Northern Ireland, with a risk to parts of northern England before dying away from all areas by Thursday evening. Accumulations of 2-5cm are expected quite widely inland, with 10-15cm possible for parts of the Midlands and Wales. Rain is more likely close to southern coasts and across most of Devon and Cornwall. The period of snow could cause disruption to travel networks, especially across high level routes and the fact that timing of this event will coincide with the morning rush-hour. This warning will be superseded by Flash Messages.

Hi flagpole. confident of anything in our part of the world? Lincs FM say 8cm but BBC forecast suggests a dusting. what ya reckon?

Posted

Bofh, things going along fine, the key to watch is not the direction but to watch and se eif it tilts like expected, from looking at it right now that looks like its right on time which is a good thing.

Beeb have upgraded recent forecasts which obviously is a good thing for the UK, I still think ther eis a chance they will issue a emergency broadcast tonight sometime, they did it in 2005 in a less severe set-up so they may do it again, possibly, keep your eyes peeled just in case!

As Tom said the beeb forecasts show snow now on the front edge even for the far south of England though down here it does turn to rain as the air is moderated away from the cold we've been seeing but further north according to this forecast it stays as sniw the whole way through, which obviously heightenes the risk for most.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Hello folks! I have to travel up the A12 from Burnham (north of Southend) to Colchester, I have seen on the projected rainfall (snowfall) radar that in this area that rain/sleet is forecast rather than snow as we are rather close to the sea, would this be correct. What is the timing on this PPN for tomorrow in this area??

Many thanks if anybody can help as I have to travel 33 miles to get to Colchester, and will snowfall be prevelant in the Ipswich area around 8am??

Posted
Hi flagpole. confident of anything in our part of the world? Lincs FM say 8cm but BBC forecast suggests a dusting. what ya reckon?

I dunno. I watch the forecast like everyone else :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Anyone in the North East noticed the change in cloud movement? Suddenly the clouds seem to be drifting from east to west over here, with an interesting cluster of lightish showers out in the North Sea at the moment.