Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Pt 4

Posted
What's FI anyone?

Andy

its an abbreviation for "fantasy island" - a nickname given to weather chart forecasts for many days in advance , often showing enticing prospects of snow, which we look at on here with interest but which seem to nearly always disappear before they come into a timeframe which one can call reliable.

Posted
I hope so Darkman, although I'm meant to drive 60 miles to Finglas at 9am tomorrow, even in a AWD do you think it will be possible?

Hard to say. Keep up with traffic reports etc and choose the easiest routes. A small bit of snow in Dublin can cause chaos and no doubt this will be the case in the morning. Of course conditions likely to be worse down the country. I dont know whether would be wise or not. You will just to wait and see yourself in the morning. How much snow has fallen and it can be hazardous if thawing or frozen.

Posted
I Know - thats what i'm worried about. Could it all go pear shaped this late in the game?

Meteox radar is showing different to Meteo24.

Not sure what to believe at the moment

Posted
Bofh, things going along fine, the key to watch is not the direction but to watch and se eif it tilts like expected, from looking at it right now that looks like its right on time which is a good thing.

Beeb have upgraded recent forecasts which obviously is a good thing for the UK, I still think ther eis a chance they will issue a emergency broadcast tonight sometime, they did it in 2005 in a less severe set-up so they may do it again, possibly, keep your eyes peeled just in case!

As Tom said the beeb forecasts show snow now on the front edge even for the far south of England though down here it does turn to rain as the air is moderated away from the cold we've been seeing but further north according to this forecast it stays as sniw the whole way through, which obviously heightenes the risk for most.

Thanks Kold...my blood pressure must have spiked or something,

Normal service has been resumed....now wheres my prozac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
its an abbreviation for "fantasy island" - a nickname given to weather chart forecasts for many days in advance , often showing enticing prospects of snow, which we look at on here with interest but which seem to nearly always disappear before they come into a timeframe which one can call reliable.

Thank you for this.

We live and learn.

Andy

Posted

Timmy, a very hard call to make. Things may be more marignal closer to the coast but I do think it'll snow away from the immediate coastal fringes, it certainly is likely to be snowing in Colchester and I suspect it will have reached here by 8am as well, could well be in the worst of it at that point if the latest beeb forecast is right, but this set-up could even now still change a little in favor of snow or not.

I'm praying that it can snow quite hard tommorow though, I'm meant to have a mock Chem. test about moles and how to use them to work out things!

Darkman, yeah Ireland is a very hard call, evn harder then mainland England now because the air will be modified by the Irish sea but to what extent though, i don't think even the pros are to sure about exactly what will fall over there right now, certainly wil lbe snow about but exactly where is nearly impossible to be sure of right now!

Edited by kold weather

Posted

I told a few people at work on Monday, that we may get some snow on Thursday. (I know, a wild gamble to predict snow so far out). I hope that the band does make it up here, even if it just fizzles out after an hour or so. I'll get some kudos points then lol

Posted
Hard to say. Keep up with traffic reports etc and choose the easiest routes. A small bit of snow in Dublin can cause chaos and no doubt this will be the case in the morning. Of course conditions likely to be worse down the country. I dont know whether would be wise or not. You will just to wait and see yourself in the morning. How much snow has fallen and it can be hazardous if thawing or frozen.

Hi Darkman, do you think we are only looking at 2cm or so in the Dublin area? I'll take it but not much to get excited over really though? I would have thought more given the duration?

Posted
Anyone in the North East noticed the change in cloud movement? Suddenly the clouds seem to be drifting from east to west over here, with an interesting cluster of lightish showers out in the North Sea at the moment.

They look more NEE to me but they are going so slow its hard to call. Snow cover stayed in the shaded area with very little if no thaw, with only where the sun shines there was a thaw however saying that i was surpriced to see some snow on some parts of the pavements and grass in my street. despite the sun shining on it.

Posted

Nice one, I've got a 16:30pm radar image from Met Office. You can clearly see the rain building up in the South West now. Come on rain....come to blighty, it's time to cystalize you and turn you white :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous
Cork Airport, light rain, gusty.

EICK 071700Z 12020G30KT 4000 -RA SCT004 BKN012 BKN022 06/06 Q0987 TEMPO 2000

No snow?!

At Cork ? lol.

Posted
Cork Airport, light rain, gusty.

EICK 071700Z 12020G30KT 4000 -RA SCT004 BKN012 BKN022 06/06 Q0987 TEMPO 2000

No snow?!

not that suprising given its location, if the precip had arrived around midnight then they may have had snow

Posted
I'm praying that it can snow quite hard tommorow though, I'm meant to have a mock Chem. test about moles and how to use them to work out things!

I always found it difficult to think of the right calculation for the question ugh :whistling:

I think 2-5cm widely is abit conservative, i would think 5-10cm especially N of the M4.

What is the chance of the snow getting washed away soon after its finishes tomorrow afternoon?

Edited by RisingStar

Posted
This is not just idle curiosity, by the way: my girlfriend desperately needs to know the latest position before she leaves work, as she may have to cancel a load of patient's appointments tomorrow morning (she's a clinical psychologist), not to mention her child minder, if there are likely to be substantial traffic delays in North or West London between 7.30 and 10am

If i was you id tell your girlfriend to cancel anyway, traffic came to a stand still a couple of weeks back due to only 2cm on the ground. tonight and tomorrow we could get 3/4 times more then that.

Now add that to the london traffic tomorrow morning..

i dont think il say anymore :whistling:

Posted
Nice one, I've got a 16:30pm radar image from Met Office. You can clearly see the rain building up in the South West now. Come on rain....come to blighty, it's time to cystalize you and turn you white :whistling:

Despite that i'm not going to see much(if any) snow in this system i am frustrated by the METO constant web server too busy. The Meteo rader is bull. The band is heading NE not stright N! So no need to ring the alarm bells yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Yeah, I have a silly amount of A-level Geography work to hand in tomorrow. Of course, this event has completely turned my attention away from doing it.

I shall be monitoring this event at 2 hour intervals from 3 a.m. onwards. :wacko:

HA HA...look at the list of school closures (mine is not on the list :whistling: ) http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/corporate/S...w&Count=150

Edited by Supercell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

By the way, as the Metoffice site has alomost completely frozen due to the huge demand, it may be worth getting a subscription to the NetWeather radar, it's brilliant, it updates every 5 minutes and shows where snow is falling, for only £3.95 for one month!!?

PS. Can I have a discount for this NetWeather people? Does this still count as the referal system offer!!?? :whistling:

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted
Hi Darkman, do you think we are only looking at 2cm or so in the Dublin area? I'll take it but not much to get excited over really though? I would have thought more given the duration?

Its hard to say as KW mentions the Irish sea can modify the air although I dont think it will modify it to the extent where snow wont fall. The wind should be coming off Wales at that stage where snow should be falling and temperatures below freezing.

Poor JS! Not even sleet. Though if there was one location you would choose not to be atm its probrably Cork.

Globe I would go for a conservative 3cm near the coast - much more inland especially north midlands.

Posted

You lucky people!!

Looks as though a fair number are in for a good dumping tomorrow. Sadly here in Jersey we'll just have the same old rain and gales. Enjoy folks, keep safe and hope you all get what you wish for. Have fun!! :whistling: