Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Pt 4

Posted
Its hard to say as KW mentions the Irish sea can modify the air although I dont think it will modify it to the extent where snow wont fall. The wind should be coming off Wales at that stage where snow should be falling and temperatures below freezing.

Poor JS! Not even sleet. Though if there was one location you would choose not to be atm its probrably Cork.

Globe I would go for a conservative 3cm near the coast - much more inland especially north midlands.

What tempeture do you have now?

Posted

Hello all

Well my longing for a good dumping of snow may come back to haunt me!!!!!

My mrs was due to give birth last sunday to our first child. This didnt happen so obviously now overdue and i am starting to worry what on earth i will do if i wake up in the morning to a snow bound street with my dear mrs screaming her waters have broken :wacko: :D

Am i facing that much snow here, i live high up on the side of a mountain, Ty canol about 200m ASL, if anyone knows the area.

Any ideas guys we are starting to get a little nervy :whistling:

Cheers WW

Posted

Amazing drop in temperatures on the beebs site for Milton Keynes. Yesterday looked like around -4c tonight, now they quote -10c...wow. Even the temperature for friday daytime has fallen in 24 hours from 7c to 2c......looks like the cold weather is hanging around longer and further south and all the progression in a pretty short timescale. Time to find my wellies!!!

Posted
Here

Latest reports of rain and sleet in the south,coming north accross Ireland. Note some of the tempetures. :whistling:

That was always forcast Kippure. Temps have been falling back and dp's are very favourable atm. The forcast is rain and sleet turning increasingly to snow in a nutshell. There is snow falling atm in places like Kilkenny and Galway allbeit light but thats the first front. Its the secong more potent one we are interested in.

What tempeture do you have now?

3C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and bitterly cold winters with lots of snow

Us Northerners can't win! If the low moves too far North the cold won't return so Saturday's possible snow event won't happen. If the low doesn't move far enough North we won't see any snow from this current set-up! :wacko: :whistling:

Posted

My temps now down to -1.3C and dewpoint -10.7C - not that I know the relevance of dewpoint.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
My temps now down to -1.3C and dewpoint -10.7C - not that I know the relevance of dewpoint.

A negative dew point means snow is more likely, even at marginal temperatures. It's very likely you'll see snow.

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Not looking to promising here, the temperature is stuck at arouind 2.5C and with the cloud rolled in i cant see it dropping much more :angry:

Posted
A negative dew point means snow is more likely, even at marginal temperatures. It's very likely you'll see snow.

Thanks - I'd always wondered. :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
4.2C Rose up to that from 3.7C

But im not panicing yet. Where can i veiw the dew points?

Kippure

See this http://www.thehangar.co.uk/metars/index.php

Its translated for you and updated regularly. In airline lingo they are known as 'actuals' which are self explanatory.

Rgds

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days
Not looking to promising here, the temperature is stuck at arouind 2.5C and with the cloud rolled in i cant see it dropping much more :angry:

Simular here although using a dewpoint calculator HERE, it says the DP is around -9°c, so maybe just maybe, although my location may hinder. Wind strenthening too.

Posted
That was always forcast Kippure. Temps have been falling back and dp's are very favourable atm. The forcast is rain and sleet turning increasingly to snow in a nutshell. There is snow falling atm in places like Kilkenny and Galway allbeit light but thats the first front. Its the secong more potent one we are interested in.

3C.

Won't the second front bump up temperatures a little? :angry:

Posted
Kippure

See this http://www.thehangar.co.uk/metars/index.php

Its translated for you and updated regularly. In airline lingo they are known as 'actuals' which are self explanatory.

Rgds

Andy

Nice one. :angry: Dew point of -2C This will be very borderline the warmer air is so close. Which way will the see-saw go.

Edited by kippure

Posted
Its hard to say as KW mentions the Irish sea can modify the air although I dont think it will modify it to the extent where snow wont fall. The wind should be coming off Wales at that stage where snow should be falling and temperatures below freezing.

Poor JS! Not even sleet. Though if there was one location you would choose not to be atm its probrably Cork.

Globe I would go for a conservative 3cm near the coast - much more inland especially north midlands.

3cm will do :angry: What would you consider near the coast, how many miles?

Posted
Won't the second front bump up temperatures a little? :angry:

It will but that becomes slow moving later therefore with temperatures low to the north it readily turns to snow. Anyway all will be known in a few hours time! :good:

Posted
HA HA...look at the list of school closures (mine is not on the list :good: ) http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/corporate/S...w&Count=150

Brilliant memories there! What snow was all about - a day off school! Particular favourite was the day in January 2000 - snow about 4-6 inches I can't remember exactly, and snowball fights in the playground at 8.55. We were kept in registration for an hour, before being sent to our second period class where some boys cracked a window throwing heavy snowballs :good: . About 15 minutes in the headmaster came to the class with the good news that we were to make our arrangements to go home :angry: as conditions were expected to get worse, which they didn't. Very icy the next day.

A slightly strange one was the closure in 2001 for what was here a mere dusting, however it may have been worse for teachers living further east.

I hope you have a 'snow day' tomorrow, supercell!

Posted
Nice one. :angry: Dew point of -2C This will be very borderline the warmer air is so close. Which way will the see-saw go.

The only thing with the hangar website is that often updates at approx 50mins after the last data - which ain't too helpful when you want it now! :good:

Posted

In order to avoid disappointment, I am fully expecting to draw back the curtains in the morning and see the rain drizzling down. :angry: