Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Pt 4

Posted

Indeed its going to make very little northward progress over the next 12 hours Stelmer as the front starts to pivot around the developing LP that is diving SE towards S.England and as it does so the front willturn to a more WNW-ESE line heading north-wards.

Peter Gibbs saying forecasters staying at the weather center all night tonight because of the seriousness of this set-up and once again said the biggest snow risk for a good few years. Though not everywhere will get the sort of snowfall that is being banded about I feel given the fronts current strength plus the speed it progged to move at may well give quite a large amount of snow quite widely, certainly large compared to recent winters attempts!

Edited by kold weather

The weather this evening is Staggering- Not for the snowfall so far but by the shear temperature drop with the onset of dusk-

Ive seen some drops of around 3C / 4C per hour which in this day an age is amazing-

I mentioned being impressed with last nights cold- but with dewpoints hitting -7s etc we are looking at a penetrating frost ahead of the frontal zone-

I have an incling that -10 will be reached-

This is also excellent news for the areas close to the margins- the colder the better please-

We await with baited breath the first reports of PPN type out that front-

Shouldnt be long.............

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
I'd love to know how you've figured this one out.

Using met office. Probably 6pm it will stop.

Blizzards possible in the morning then turning a little lighter in the afternoon but staying heavy.

Posted
just started snowing here in co roscommon

Ahh SF10...just had to find you on Googleearth.....showing my ignorance of all things IriDoh a dumb swear filter got the better of me Interestingly the NWx radar shows a sleety mix for your area at the mo! Good luck :lol:

SS

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
If i was you id tell your girlfriend to cancel anyway, traffic came to a stand still a couple of weeks back due to only 2cm on the ground. tonight and tomorrow we could get 3/4 times more then that.

Now add that to the london traffic tomorrow morning..

i dont think il say anymore :lol:

Thanks, Nanu - and those kind souls who posted the up-to-date Met Office warnings for me earlier. You may well be right, but she's reluctant to cancel unless absolutely necessary. We're still not very much the wiser, predictably. The real questions are (1) will the North Circular and A40 have been properly gritted, and (2) even if they have been, might the heaviness of the fall overwhelm that for a while?

Incidentally, since about 5pm I have generally been able to get to the horse's mouth on the Met Office site, which suggests that they have belatedly brought some more servers into action (if I understand these things right). I wish they'd anticipated the heavy demand (not difficult), and done so earlier.

Posted
The weather this evening is Staggering- Not for the snowfall so far but by the shear temperature drop with the onset of dusk-

Ive seen some drops of around 3C / 4C per hour which in this day an age is amazing-

I mentioned being impressed with last nights cold- but with dewpoints hitting -7s etc we are looking at a penetrating frost ahead of the frontal zone-

I have an incling that -10 will be reached-

This is also excellent news for the areas close to the margins- the colder the better please-

We await with baited breath the first reports of PPN type out that front-

Shouldnt be long.............

S

this tallies with the minor upgrades that we've been seeing all day from the Meto. Exciting 24 hours coming up!

Posted

So i'm guessing this is good but abit crap as forecasts on the MO seem to show it turning to rain in south later and then by saturday rain in northern england.

RUbbish, i don't understand the models correctly which is why i'm posting here for some help.

Ta, DB.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
After the predicited event on thursday ( if it happens) whats the chance of snow for the weekend?

Well for the Midlands again and northwards saturday should have snow then followed by sleet then rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.
Ahh SF10...just had to find you on Googleearth.....showing my ignorance of all things IriDoh a dumb swear filter got the better of me Interestingly the NWx radar shows a sleety mix for your area at the mo! Good luck :lol:

SS

believe me its pure snowflakes,

very light at the moment

Posted

The front has some downpours in it, very heavy stuff....although it has reached N.I already pretty much, what will the track of this be?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I am only forecast 3cm-5cm of snow tomorrow by my local forecast, but 6-7hours of snowfall!!? I would have said 4inches is vert possible, snow is still laying here, nearly 2 inches still, so should be interesting!!

Temps now -0.1C

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted

I'm confused a tad, bbc news 24 said a very serious situation with the midlands, Se and east anglia getting alot of snow. And then on Anglia news they said that Ea is supposed to have the snow the longest and could be worst affected. But then said 5cm

Posted
Temperature down -1.9C already with the frost persitting all day in the shade. Looking forward to this evenings/night event.

Evening KS, nice to see a fellow Shrimper on board!!..

So what do you make of tonight/tommorow for us lot in the SE?..

:drinks:

Posted

shock...Manchester area and heavy snow mentioned in the same sentence!! on the BBC weather forcast!!!! didnt think it would transpire this far northwards ?? do the models back this up?

Posted
I'm confused a tad, bbc news 24 said a very serious situation with the midlands, Se and east anglia getting alot of snow. And then on Anglia news they said that Ea is supposed to have the snow the longest and could be worst affected. But then said 5cm

There pulling your leg!

Posted

it's called covering ALL your bases!

:drinks:

Posted

Here in N London it is currently:-

1.7 deg

59% RH

-5.4 Dewpoint

fingers crossed for some snow, although I'm supposed to be driving into Central London tomorrow leaving around 7:00am (I'll be taking my camera though)

Could be like this in the morning :drinks: (taken 24/01/07)

post-631-1170872279_thumb.jpg