Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 7

Posted

Still heavy snow in Southend On Sea area, I'm guessing this confirms snow has actualy settled sth of the pennines after all.

Posted

Here comes another wave of mod snow!

Getting heavier again here, not as heavy as the first round but its all adding up now and also getting quite deep out there, well at least compared to what was expected and still got several hours left as well as the front tries with all its might to swing northwards, poor thing is really trying to get further north but at the moment for everybit north it gets its also swinging as much eastwards meaning this is a real drawn out process, which is a good thing because once the snow arrives it'll last for a good 4-6hrs and maybe longer where it doesn't make any motre northerly process. For now I'm just happy for it to keep backbuilding like its doing. The best thing is over the next 6 hrs precip should build again slightly as new mesoscale low forms near the frontal boundary which will pep things up again, this may wlel be the first sgns of this on the radar withall the back-building going on.

Steve, fluffy larger flakes here as well, hopefully it isnt a result of dew-points rising too much!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
Lovely pic, dont think the train will be going far today! lol

What do you guys mean by 'backing-up' ?

Is the snow intensifying on the radar?

Backing up i mean by the snow is regenerating to fall again

DSCF0455.jpg

see wot i mean

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Boo Hoo, nothing here yet, though it looks close. Temperature 2C here now!! I sure hope the temps will drop when this arrives!!

Posted
Backing up i mean by the snow is regenerating to fall again

DSCF0455.jpg

see wot i mean

WOW...quality flakes there....just a very slight dusting here although the radar says its been snowing here for ages :) ....anyhoo just about to set of to cannock to work ....turfing :)

Posted

I have to say one thing I am pleased about, irrespective of how much snow falls overnight is that both this event, and the one a couple of weeks ago occurred with temperatures below freezing. Last time out, the snow thawed from the bottom up. It should thaw top down this time.

Its getting fairly heavy here now.

Certainly moderate snowfall.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Flakes getting bigger here, dew point must be slowly rising. I predict 10+cm will be achieve here easily!

Just checked 8cm now, with another 5 or so to come. :)

Edited by Megamoonflake

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

a good 5cm here in Swanscombe,Kent. DP's rising though which gives cause for concern.

Posted

And so the "snow chaos" headlines begin.

Check of BBC Breakfast, right now.

I think the BBC reporter on a flyover just outside of Reading needs to read Tall Paul's helpful hints for measuring snowfall. Looked like about 2-3cm to me.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

looks like 2" outside, though not as heavy now. am just off for a little trundle to decide whether or not staying at home is justified :)

not too sure about this backbuilding- i expect that'll be slightly further north of my location. :) still, one should not complain about 2" of lying snow!!

Posted

Well we must have some sort of snow forcefield around us here... just woken up to nothing outside, even the frost has gone which I expected, but according to nw extra radar and the meto radar we should be snowed in by now!!! Freaky but absolutely nothing here, not a flake has fallen... ho hum.

Damn it, why did we have to move out of Shropshire two weeks ago!! :) For those that have it, enjoy it!

L

Posted

Well looks like I won't be getting into London today for uni on the Strand - sometimes I think I came home deliberately in the hope of seeing more snow LoL

Anyways, here in Kings Hill, West Malling (12 or so miles from Maidstone) it has been snowing since 0400am....snow flakes have been small (I read a post by Kold that said due to the cold DP's?!), but has become quite heavy at the moment with about 3-5cm thus far! Heres hoping for me of the same :)

Just out of interest, and to keep on topic, how far is everyone expecting the front to eventually move?

Posted
Hi Fender I am not far from you, Im In Tettenhall Wolverhampton. What do you think for today then? Starting to get a bit heavier now, settling nicley.

looking at the radar, I think there is about 50 miles of snow to the south of us. Seems to be clear south of Hereford. I am hoping that the front grinds to a halt and it snows for most of the day.

3-5 inches would be my guess

Posted

Its eased off a bit here, but still coming plenty. Can feel lots hitting my face simulataneously, and visibility certainly reduced. And theres a nice line of ppn building up quite powerfully a short distance away headed for me. Meanwhile, steady light snow keeping the rollercoaster going. Hoping this snow behind us can continue to build and slow and generate more snow.