Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 8

Posted
The netweather radar shows that SE Birmingham to London is now rain - that's not true is it? Can anyone confirm. My BF needs to drive down to near Heathrow this morning and it's taken him nearly an hour so far to get over the hill at the top of the parking bay.

My boss told me not to expect a day off regardless of the weather so I need to start out in a few minutes too. Bah, humbug - I want to play in it.

Cheers.

Jo

Wrong... it aint raining here.. snowing heavy with big flakes

oh and tell your boss hes a bloody killjoy... then stamp on him :D

Edited by nanu

The netweather radar shows that SE Birmingham to London is now rain - that's not true is it? Can anyone confirm. My BF needs to drive down to near Heathrow this morning and it's taken him nearly an hour so far to get over the hill at the top of the parking bay.

My boss told me not to expect a day off regardless of the weather so I need to start out in a few minutes too. Bah, humbug - I want to play in it.

Cheers.

Jo

I can confirm that we currently have moderate-heavy snow in Aylesbury, which is about 30-40 miles North West of London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Thin covering here and snowing light-moderately. Was hoping for a thicker coating but with the looks of the radar- this ain't going anywhere for hours so will build up no doubt! Temps risen to 0.5c this morning and DP to -0.3c. They are levelling out now - don't want them any higher!

Posted

Bit gutted TBH. Was a decent covering at 05.00 but by 07.00 it was thawing & raining. Then, to top off frustration, heavy wet snow fell for half an hour recently and started to settle before all precip suddenly stopped, LOL.

The Salisbury Plain looks pasted so am gonna go for a drive soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
Very strange here, all schools bar 1 have been closed??? lol

That's a joke- a covering of snow and they close!? Just lazy isn't it really.

Posted
Chucking it down in South East Essex...with rain :)

It never really settled before it turned to rain. So that's it for another winter I guess. Still, soon be spring and bbq weather :)

OMG :D your so unlucky.. thats wot usually happens to me when this type of event happens over previous years... hold on il see if i can send some snow in the back of my mates tesco freezer lorry to you. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Bad news for Irish guys and gals on the east coast of Ireland.

The temps only dropped to 1 or 2 above freezing resulting in sleet and wet snow but no lying snow.

This did not altogether surprise me because I have never seen snow on the east coast from a front moving up from the SW.

The only time this happened was in Jan 1982 when a slow moving front moved up from the south on a persistant cold eastery flow.

Kippure, I guess you might have had some up the mountains?

Anway all my netweather friends in the UK, I really hope you enjoy this snow event. I will be thinking of you all.

Posted

dvdfjojo, well I've gotsnow right now where the netweather radar suggest sleet/rain so youtcan't take these too for granted but just use them as a guide

Andy- yeah I remember you talking aobut that last night, I did say it was all going as plan and look where we are this morning, exactly where we expected to be and maybe even slightly better then planned given the fairly common 2-4 inches reports we have so far and no doubt locally there are qute a few 6+ falls as well.

Heavier snow here now appear sto be settling on the grass but not so wlel on the pavements and roads are now very wet due to melted snow, lots of surface spray though. Looks like this precip could wlel be about for a fair chunk of the day over S.Midlands, could see some quite large totals here as well, already S.England has generlaly had 1-4 inches and i expect that to be the cas ein the Midalnds as well.

i think this has been the most widespread event since probably the mid-90's, maybe in the south of England sthe best since 91.

It's certainly not to be sniffed at this one, not in the legendary book IMO but its certainly in the memorable category.

amazing blackie, here in SW Essex I've had about 3 and a half inches of snow overnight, shows what a difference small distance can make!

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Excellent snow, quite a breeze drifting the snow to a couple of feet in places, first time I've seen that for a number of years, still snowing well now, so places NEE of glos look get at least a few more hours yet. About 4'' of level snow atm

Posted

Cheers.

Jo

Odd that! the sleet, snow, rain seem a little too blocky to be realistic IMO.

I am south of the M4 in Newbury and it is still snowing here quite hard. We currently have about 8cms here.

Posted
According to metcheck our heaviest snow is not due till about 12pm ish.

I HAVE A QUESTION: Is it true you get bigger flakes when the temperature is around 0c?

The ideal temp for snowfall is around 0C because the colder it is the less moisture there is hence the expression too cold for snow even though that is inaccurate.

You often see the size of snowflakes change with intensity of precip but also changing temps/dew points.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Just noticed the meto warnings for Yorkshire have gone. :D:)

Must dash, gotta get to work.

Posted
Very heavy snow here!

I concur with that Blizzards! :D

Good to see Louise Lear on BBC Breakfast in Worcester too! Went to bed at 2am with nothing, woke up at 5am quick twitch of the curtains revealed snow then up at 7.30am to PROPER snow :)

Had smaller flakes blowing horizontally in the wind then last 10 mins the bigger flakes arrived again coupled with this wind we have a near whiteout as I type this! Mcelwee doing Midlands weather this morning saying it is going to last until midday at least in my area undoubtedly longer further north!

Best since Feb 1996 for depth for me!

Posted
That's a joke- a covering of snow and they close!? Just lazy isn't it really.

just over an inch of snow atm, with snow forecast to stay til around 3 its probably the right decision

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Has the front stalled now?

Som, your post has given me some real hope!

Edited by Supacell

Posted

still heavy but small flakes if these were big flakes it would be a white out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
slight drifts against walls now!

Same here and getting very gusty too!