Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 9

shuggee

Posted

A few inches of snow and my kids were jumping for joy at 5.30 this morning. B) :D

There appears to be ppn slowly making it's way Eastwards from Cardiff.

Edited by yamkin

Posted
Thanks K.W.

I am very glad that you got a decent amount, as I know how much you have

been anticipating this spell.

By the way good work with your forecasting yesterday. things turned out pretty much

as you suggested they would.

Good work!

Brian B)

glad you got some , could see you were a bit miserbale yesterday at not being "invited to the party"

Welcome !

Posted

turned out very good for me around 4inch of level snow with 7inch drifts heres a few pics from earlier

post-6161-1170937603_thumb.jpg

post-6161-1170937635_thumb.jpg

post-6161-1170937697_thumb.jpg

post-6161-1170937813_thumb.jpg

post-6161-1170937871_thumb.jpg

Edited by tom_f123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

still have moderate snow in north brum

EDIT now snowing heavy again,this small band of snow seems to have stalled over us

Edited by phil b

Posted

This is really starting to annoy me..... this is my sixth winter in Scotland - you know, that place that is supposed to be in the frozen north, with snow all the time - and so far hardly any snow. This is a total non event - there were about 4 flakes on my car this morning, and now it's bright again. Even the mountains were devoid of snow last weekend when we should have been having fun with crampons and ice axes. Grrrr! Bet we don't get any on Saturday either - and I was hoping to go skiing this weekend....

Posted
By the way, the most incredible thing, from my point of view in oxfordshire (southern midlands if that means more to others), is that the saturday event could affect us in this area again. It almost looks like a carbon copy of the event today now:

Temp charts because of lying snow:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2417.png

down towards -8.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn3617.png

temps friday afternoon not getting much above 1C.

And at 6z saturday:

temps: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn4817.png

ppn: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn484.png

and 12z saturday:

temps: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn5417.png

ppn: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn544.png

And at 18z its not much changed. Still, this snow we have now looks like sticking around for a while, so the northerners can have their share this time around. But if that did do the same as today system did, and they look very similar, the southern midlands and co. could end up paralysed.

I do hope so. Metcheck reckon 12-14cms for us on Saturday - Result !!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

The front looks to be very weak now, though there are heavier birsts embeeded and i should be looking at snow until the evening.

I am slightly worried that the air temperature could let me down in the next few hours, my dew point is -3C, but the air temperature is +1C.

i wouldnt get too excited.its produced nothing but a few bits of dusty flakes here and there ..dont hold your hopes up

Posted
glad you got some , could see you were a bit miserbale yesterday at not being "invited to the party"

Welcome !

Thanks.

Yes I was a bit down in the dumps Yesterday eveyone seemed to be getting snow all

around me.

I shouldn't complain as I know there are still people who haven't had a flake this

winter.

I'm quite suprised how much snow i have got this morning, it keeps going from

fine like Graupel to thick proper flakes.

Wow i have got really thick flakes.

K.W does that mean the Dew points are pretty close to the temperatures.

Well what ac omplete and utter load of cobblers.

The words 'non event' spring to mind(yet again).Typically the belt started decaying just as it reached NW England meaning the flurries blowing around in the wind was as good as it got!!!!!

For those in the NW,i think this area is rapidly becoming the snow desert of england,im so p'd off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
I do hope so. Metcheck reckon 12-14cms for us on Saturday - Result !!!!

B)

Stand aside. It's the turn for us lot in North Yorkshire, Tyne&Wear, Lincolnshire, etc to get the significant snow.

Posted

Very dissapointed with todays snow as I was kind of expecting a bit of a dumping. Norwich normally does get some quite nice snow fall and TBH we got more snow the other week when we got a couple of cm in a very short time.

It has been snowing since about 8.30 this morning however the only way I can describe the snow is drizzle as it lighter than what I would call light snow. I think thats almost it for today as it look like the ppn is disapearing fast on the radar! B)

If you know any different or more is on the way please let me know. B)

Posted
B) Really hammering it down. Meto radar not showing this. Snow depth on the up :D

yep, stopped there for a while starting to get going again now, im off for a walk up the town. Enjoy your snow everyone B)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Sun making an appearence here now through the murk, steady thaw in progress still quite slippery on some paths in town though. Temp of 1.6C and dew point heading for 1C aswell.

1200 plot shows air temps of 6-7C along South coast, and dew points upto 4/5C, 9C in Cornwall, though you don't have to go far inland for temps and dew points to drop to near 0C. Plenty of stations North of M4 across Midlands recording 0C with dps similar.

post-1052-1170938255_thumb.png

Posted
Very dissapointed with todays snow as I was kind of expecting a bit of a dumping. Norwich normally does get some quite nice snow fall and TBH we got more snow the other week when we got a couple of cm in a very short time.

It has been snowing since about 8.30 this morning however the only way I can describe the snow is drizzle as it lighter than what I would call light snow. I think thats almost it for today as it look like the ppn is disapearing fast on the radar! B)

If you know any different or more is on the way please let me know. B)

I don't we can expect too much here in East Anglia now. Its recently turned to rain here, 10 miles inland from the Suffolk coastline and there's a rapid thaw of the lying snow we have had.

Still, there's always Saturday perhaps.

Posted

I don't believe this, I'll take some pics when my daughter gets home.

It's amazing that when it snows where I live it does snow.

I suppose it's my elevation that helps.

Is anyone else near me getting this.

Posted

Thanks Brian.

Tom, thats a decent amount of snow you got there, about what the met-office were prediciting for the Midalnds as it happens.

I do think to be fair to the met-office they have handled this set-up rather well. In the end it did turn out to be quite a simple set-up to forecast once it became clear to see what was going on in the radar, but it was the models that caused so much uncertainty about the set-up plus they under-did the cold pool at the lower levels of the atmopshere, i really do hink the colder then expected night on Tuesday really did us a favor because it caused a lower base to set up on Wednesday which allowed temps to be cold enoughlast night for widespread snow to hit where was progged.

Nick's weather is similar to mine, a thaw is occuring and the cloud does appear to be thinning now as well.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
Hi all,

This was the snow depth an hour ago. 2 cms higher now. I have plenty of pics to upload later B)

lol i like the upside down ruler haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Nothing like what was expected here. The snow fall the other week was much better with a thick covering (despit melting by morning). Its all but gone here with only a few white patches around. Snow/sleet still falling though but temps too high (1.1c) for it to stick. Maybe Saturday...

Posted

Well im not too disapointed, but a sleet shower here now, more rain than snow.... just the odd white flake within it.

The thaw is on big time!

Posted

The words 'non event' spring to mind(yet again).Typically the belt started decaying just as it reached NW England meaning the flurries blowing around in the wind was as good as it got!!!!!

For those in the NW,i think this area is rapidly becoming the snow desert of england,im so p'd off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it depends where you are in the northwest! I did hope for more this morning but only got an inch I got a good covering in the last cold spell and expect more from tnhis winter yet!

Posted

If you're that upset about it, why not go for a drive east You won't have to go that far to see some snow. It was never forecast to snow in the NW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Snow generally stopeed here now but still flurries around.

We have a good chance of some good snow again on saturday!