Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 10

Posted
We usually do but for some reason this winter has been the worst since i was born 20 years ago i have never seen such a bad winter we have had a few centimeters all winter.

I am more used to 10cm+ falls not 1cm+ like london its shocking :clap:

There's still time for snow. My grandad says that march can be a very good month for snow. we will just have to wait and see

Posted

Well it looks as though my Snow is over for today. After some thawing I am

left with about one cm.

Hardly record breaking stuff, but adds up to a grand total of two centimeters this winter. :clap:

Brian

Edited by grab my graupels

Posted

Steve, you asked my exact location. If you type Cutsdean hill into street map I'm in that area.

Put the ruler onto faily solid ground too (the chicken's yard).

Posted

Snow coming down quite nicely here, still looks like it will be around for another hour or so, and as the temps have now dropped below freezing its building up again :clap::cold::D:D

I hope the low for sat helps bring snow nationwide, even if it does turn to rain, as even though weve had a decent amount its been at a very slow rate, a cm an hour on average. wouldnt mind seeing 5cm in 1 hour before turning to rain on sat

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Brilliant PIT :clap: What would constitute a 4?

4/10 A foot of Snow that melts in an hour which I have seen happen. Perhaps I ought to do it out of five as I'd easily run of reasons for the mark. Today was pathetic but too be honest expected as we're always on the edge. Still it's the 2nd best Snow event of the Winter so far.

Years since we've had got Frontal Snow probably ten years maybe more. A friend a work who lives lower down in Sheffield hasn't been able to make a Snow for ten years. He keeps hoping that one day he can do it before his kids grow up.

I doubt Fullwood had 2 inches. Meadowhead may have managed one inch during this morning but it's been mainly showery light stuff Since 10 ish when it was already melting back.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Someone was asking about Aberdeen earlier (apologies but lost the post so can't remember who it was).

Went to bed with about 1/2" covering and below zero last night. Got up to a thaw - temps about 1 degC and it's been above freezing all day. My husband left for work around 8:30am, saying it was raining on the way out. In the 5 mins or so it took for him to walk there, the rain turned to a heavy hail shower and was snow when I rang him shortly after he arrived. This set the tone for the day - heavy hail showers turning to snow with melting between in the bright sunshine. At one point there was a mushy buildup of 1". The most fun was watching the pigeons being pelted by pea sized hail (shaped, oddly enough, like re-entry capsules) at one point this afternoon. Currently 3 degC.

Posted
Yer mean Mondy? :cold:

We weren't due any - was surprised we got that little covering last night. Maybe the weekend will produce the goods!

Mondy, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for You, Karl and all the good

folk North of me.

Think you deserve it. It would make a nice change instead of wind.

Hope you get a good pasting this weekend mate :clap:

Brian.

Edited by grab my graupels

Posted
Snow coming down quite nicely here, still looks like it will be around for another hour or so, and as the temps have now dropped below freezing its building up again :clap::cold::D:D

I hope the low for sat helps bring snow nationwide, even if it does turn to rain, as even though weve had a decent amount its been at a very slow rate, a cm an hour on average. wouldnt mind seeing 5cm in 1 hour before turning to rain on sat

know what you mean snowtornado, we've currantly got 4" at best and it's taken all day, i remeber getting snow in the eighties that could do that in an hour!! but, as you said, it usually turned to rain shortly afterwards. but looking at the currant charts, it seems a good bet that this cold snap could just well turn into a cold spell!! it really has an old fashioned feel about it!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Absolutely rubbish, 2cm of snow in eight hours is not what i call a frontal snow event, theres a chance for more with precipitation still around and night rolling in however i am not pleased, nevertheless, this is the biggest snow event of the winter.

1/10 is all it gets for now, though there is a chance it can reach 2/10 before all this is over.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
Absolutely rubbish, 2cm of snow in eight hours is not what i call a frontal snow event, theres a chance for more with precipitation still around and night rolling in however i am not pleased, nevertheless, this is the biggest snow event of the winter.

You got 2cm lucky sod just a dusting here lucky to be 0.5cm. Carries on the poor show from frontal systems for the last x years.

Posted
You got 2cm lucky sod just a dusting here lucky to be 0.5cm. Carries on the poor show from frontal systems for the last x years.

It seems we are lucky, i drove to Desbury, 7 miles south east of here and they had no snow on the ground.

Posted
Don't worry about us Brian, we've still got weeks and weeks to get some heavy snow (or more heavy snow since we had some a fortnight ago). It was only last year when some regions up this way were absolutely pasted as late as the 11th/12th March. I'm lucky that I know we can get thick snow as late as early May. We'll be fine :clap:

Your concern has been noted :cold:

Too right, CMD - twas my birthday weekend last year when the snow hit - thought i was still steamin' when i woke up the next morning and saw all the white stuff lying

*actually, come to think of it, i was still steamin'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

where abouts in N warks are you so i can see if i might get what you have!

Posted

i think we are both getting the last dreggs of moderate precipitaion that this system has to offer as it's snowing heavily here too, who knows though the radar is really inaccurate as far as snow is concerned

Posted

Well we've had a few snow showers, nothing really of note, nothing stuck around long enough or even long enough shwers of snow to stay around really, but you never know, maybe Saturday may yeild something for me!

Posted
Apparently the rumor in the office is that we had snow at about 4am this morning. I did wait until 1am last night but when it started raining that's when i called it a night. Suffice to say I wasn't expecting anything lying on the ground when i woke up this morning and I was right (no pleasant suprises just incase the models, forecasts, temps. were all wrong!). I received a phone pictures this morning from the guy (lives in Basingstoke 30 miles north) who sits next to me, with a giant Snowman which only made me more envious. However I am genuinely pleased for everyone who did got a good dumping of snow and the pics are great.

Who knows when another event like this will happen again, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Hopefully the cold air will linger a little longer for those who have it to give you a top up at the weekend :)

well we werent going to miss out - so we drove up to find the snow! Actually there was lying snow at Rownhams as we went through at about 11am... so we went off on a snow chase, and ended up in the Chilterns, 80 odd miles away from our home on the coast...it was gorgeous!!! Here is one of the pics - it was pouring with rain on the way back down the M3 and melting the lying snow.

I've seen SNOW!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::):good::)

post-3586-1170957603_thumb.jpg

Posted
I'm between Atherstone and Tamworth :clap:

where's that Baddesley ensor?? how much did you get up there as you are quite high up there?

Posted

what a great day, think its all gone now though but very happy with 13cm!!!

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

Snowing heavily here now. Have around 6cm from this morning's snow and present fall settling on top of that.

Posted
Someone was asking about Aberdeen earlier (apologies but lost the post so can't remember who it was).

Went to bed with about 1/2" covering and below zero last night. Got up to a thaw - temps about 1 degC and it's been above freezing all day. My husband left for work around 8:30am, saying it was raining on the way out. In the 5 mins or so it took for him to walk there, the rain turned to a heavy hail shower and was snow when I rang him shortly after he arrived. This set the tone for the day - heavy hail showers turning to snow with melting between in the bright sunshine. At one point there was a mushy buildup of 1". The most fun was watching the pigeons being pelted by pea sized hail (shaped, oddly enough, like re-entry capsules) at one point this afternoon. Currently 3 degC.

Hi LP - Slow thaw here today is probably caused by the wind picking up. This brings more of a sea influence (current SST's) around 7/8°. Blows away the colder air and it is replaced by slightly higher temperatures. The further inland you travel, the colder it should become as the sea influence becomes less. Snow grain/Snow showers in Altens this morning (80m) was rplaced by a rain shower at lunch time today. Definitely 'rain' temperatures out there at the moment I'm afraid!

Posted
what a great day, think its all gone now though but very happy with 13cm!!!

been fun matey!!! i'd almost given up on ever seeing the grass covered again!!! lol!! still there's a good wedge of winter left!

:clap:

Posted

Just wondering why the School on Beeb News was closed. Roads clear and no reason at all they should be closed. What did they do years ago. It took about a foot of Snow for our sto close and that was becuase drifts were forming across the roads. Too soft in this country.

Still moderate snow here... check out the cam, the road's white again! :clap:http://www.photoweather.com/aws/cam/

Nah thats just sensor noise due to falling light. My looks like that right now and it's hardly Snowing. :)