Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 10

Posted

suprised to see no cars getting stuck going up my hill

Posted

No snow here mark yet im hoping for some on saturday look at below taken from my blog

''Well i have seen reports of 12cm+ of snow today and boy gosh wasnt it bad further south.... whilst i have just recieved a sleety shower from this cold front i am now very interested for devlopments through saturday where 5cm could accumulate. This front passing hrough currently wont introduce milder air however the milder front makes imbounds on Saturday trying to push away our colder air. So, the main cause of concern is through this evening and tonight where tmperatures are expected to plumit widspread -4's and even down to -10's in the midlands area... Tomorrow will be a day consiting of this front in the south sweping through causing rapid thaw of any left over snow and with that.... the renewed risk of flooding. As the front pushes into northern England overnight then it will readily turn to snow and like i say more signifcant accumulations even across N.England and Scotland this time which is promising... so id better dust down that sledge for the hills then TWS lol? And sunday will see this front push through with some heafty showers following and the snow in the north of the country turn to rain again. So keep in touch and keep Safe :rolleyes:

Keep upto date with Netweather

Keep upto date with Meto

Keep upto date with Weatheronline

Just keep safe on those icy roads especially tonight.... another update tommorow

SM06''

:)

SM06

Posted

is the snow on saturday still on and if so what areas and what amount do you expect?

Posted
is the snow on saturday still on and if so what areas and what amount do you expect?

Like quoted above it is looking likely from the midlands northwards is looking likely for some now on saturday with amounts upto possibly 5cm and it wont turn to rain until early sunday :)

But i still usher a word of caution as nothing is set in stone (ie rain/snow all depends on where milder air is)but after viewing the BBC local forecast tonight my head is held high :rolleyes:

SM06

Hope that was helpful

Edited by SNOW-MAN2006

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
Still snowing hear but as i said earlier its very fine. Is it still snowing anywere else?

Snowing here, Mark. Like your area though, it's very fine snow.

Posted
Kinda strange here. 0.8c and fine drizzle currently falling. The worrying aspect is the ice forming on streets and pavements literally as the rain falls. :rolleyes:

Freezing rain (well drizzle) is very dangerous as the ice it forms is generally invisible. Watch out in the morning Mondy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
Kinda strange here. 0.8c and fine drizzle currently falling. The worrying aspect is the ice forming on streets and pavements literally as the rain falls. :rolleyes:

That'll be freezing rain. Usually falls as light drizzle.

Posted
Like quoted above it is looking likely from the midlands northwards is looking likely for some now on saturday with amounts upto possibly 5cm and it wont turn to rain until early sunday :rolleyes:

SM06

Hope that was helpful

thanks, i would have been so excited at the chace of 5cm the other day but because of the 17cm drifts today it seems nothing lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Some pics from this afternoon-

post-1600-1170963452_thumb.jpg post-1600-1170963481_thumb.jpg

post-1600-1170963505_thumb.jpg

Mammatus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
No snow here mark yet im hoping for some on saturday look at below taken from my blog

''Well i have seen reports of 12cm+ of snow today and boy gosh wasnt it bad further south.... whilst i have just recieved a sleety shower from this cold front i am now very interested for devlopments through saturday where 5cm could accumulate. This front passing hrough currently wont introduce milder air however the milder front makes imbounds on Saturday trying to push away our colder air. So, the main cause of concern is through this evening and tonight where tmperatures are expected to plumit widspread -4's and even down to -10's in the midlands area... Tomorrow will be a day consiting of this front in the south sweping through causing rapid thaw of any left over snow and with that.... the renewed risk of flooding. As the front pushes into northern England overnight then it will readily turn to snow and like i say more signifcant accumulations even across N.England and Scotland this time which is promising... so id better dust down that sledge for the hills then TWS lol? And sunday will see this front push through with some heafty showers following and the snow in the north of the country turn to rain again. So keep in touch and keep Safe :rolleyes:

Keep upto date with Netweather

Keep upto date with Meto

Keep upto date with Weatheronline

Just keep safe on those icy roads especially tonight.... another update tommorow

SM06''

:)

SM06

Sounds good :)

You are in quite a bad place being right on the coast though, judging be what a coulpe of other members have said it could be touch and go. I hope you get some though, I should be OK here inland a bit and 200m asl.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Ah forecast depths of 5cm == 0.5mm or less. Seems that way where Frontal Snow is concerned these days.

Just had a walk around light covering of Snow inch or less further up the hill. Dusting here which is trying to melt despite sub zero temps. Interesting too see if it does what it did last Winter and melt overnight. Although last time it did that the temps were lower at -2C. Last Winter checking the ground temps they were 5 degrees higher than they are now.

Just noticed predictions -10c tonight. beeb said one or two locations outside Cities may get to -4C. -10c is very unlikely.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Hello everyone, newbie here! You all seem a pretty friendly bunch, so I thought I'd gently dip my toe in the water.......

I have no expertise whatsoever in meteorology, in fact I haven't a clue. But........I am very keen and interested! I love the weather, in all it's wonderful diversity that we get here in the British Isles. And a few weeks of watching and learning from you guys will stand me in good stead, I'm sure.

Right......that's my maiden speech out of the way, I'll just sit quietly here at the back of the class and continue my education! *smiles*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

This should be in the reports section, but I'd like to share with you all - it's snowing heavier here now after persistant snow flurries since 6pm.

Try and get some pics.......

Mammatus

Posted

Snow finally fizzled out about 30 minutes ago here. We've a good 3 to 4cm and it looks from the forecast to be staying with us at least until late morning tomorrow. There might even be some of it left as a primer for Saturday's snow - already showing on the radar. :rolleyes:

Anyone any idea what time on Saturday that next front will hit South Yorks ??

Posted

Last night at 4am..it started to snow. the heavans opened up. It began to stick on the wet roads .Then it turned back to sleet. Driving to work was ok???

Then at about 10am it started to snow again till about 1pm.

Home now and its dark. Theres a good covering on the grass and side of the road. Further up its meant to be real bad. WILL GET SOME PHOTOs tomorrow after work.

:rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think SM06's assessment will prove reasonably accurate for areas of northern England and Scotland more than 10 miles inland from the east coast; however within 10 miles of the east coast it will be warmed by the sea, and thus precipitation will fall mostly as sleet or wet snow which doesn't settle. When the wind picked up off the sea this morning I was getting readings of about 4C; you can take 2C off that for when precipitation falls, but it really needs to be below 1C for much chance of settling snow.

However, coastal areas have a chance of a slight dusting tonight as a slight easterly drift causes showers to hug the coastal fringe, with temperatures getting down to around freezing; inland, temps will get well below freezing but as a general rule there won't be many showers around. Inland eastern Scotland may manage a couple of inches tonight (in addition to any cover they already have).

Posted
Sounds good :rolleyes:

You are in quite a bad place being right on the coast though, judging be what a coulpe of other members have said it could be touch and go. I hope you get some though, I should be OK here inland a bit and 200m asl.

It is always a diasadvantage but i think the main snow belt will arrive overnight friday which it will be subzero, a very fingers crossed event for the coast but things can still change :) all the luck mind to you

SM06

Posted
Hello everyone, newbie here! You all seem a pretty friendly bunch, so I thought I'd gently dip my toe in the water.......

I have no expertise whatsoever in meteorology, in fact I haven't a clue. But........I am very keen and interested! I love the weather, in all it's wonderful diversity that we get here in the British Isles. And a few weeks of watching and learning from you guys will stand me in good stead, I'm sure.

Right......that's my maiden speech out of the way, I'll just sit quietly here at the back of the class and continue my education! *smiles*

Welcome to net weather Basset Hound, Hope you enjoy and dont be afraid to get stuck in! Ask lots of questions too :rolleyes:

Posted

Good good join the family! There is an extensive learning area somewhere around on this site, if you ever need to find something out for yourself, and i would also recommend the model discussion as the thread from which you will gain the most technical knowledge.

Temps in Oxford being a bit slow getting back down again this evening. Hovering close to zero right now. Feels colder.

Posted
Snow finally fizzled out about 30 minutes ago here. We've a good 3 to 4cm and it looks from the forecast to be staying with us at least until late morning tomorrow. There might even be some of it left as a primer for Saturday's snow - already showing on the radar. :rolleyes:

Anyone any idea what time on Saturday that next front will hit South Yorks ??

Just went to have a look away from the houses towards the hills have had 7cm. here which isn't too bad I guess as I thought most of it had missed us. Gone very icy now, can't see the temperature rising a great deal tomorrow and saturday could be pretty interesting around here whatever happens.