Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 12

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
Cymru, did you have much rain before the snow arrived?

And if you did has the snow settled on it?

It rained/sleeted all afternoon, lincolnshnow. Started turning to snow around 4.30pm and then came down really heavily. It's covered all the ground where yesterday's snow had melted. I was quite surprised as it was really wet out there but even the roads are covered now.

Posted
Looks like your getting your own back! We had 4-5" here yesterday just 20 miles from Nottingham, and just sleety rain now. I don't believe it lol, everywhere in Nottinghamshire has settling snow apart from myself - Sods law.

At least you got some yesterday!

We got a light dusting which melted straight away

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Steadily getting heavier - sticking everywhere, and the main band hasn't even reached us yet. With any luck by the end of tonight I'll be able to report decent depths along with all those lucky people in S Wales and W Midlands :wallbash:

As an aside, one thing I've really noticed since we moved up here from Leeds six years ago is that up here whenever it snows it seems to stick straight away. I remember back in Leeds sometimes it could snow for two hours and still not stick, but up here, even relatively light or short-lived falls stick immediately giving a covering, so when it does start snowing for any length of time (like now) it doesn't take long to get a reasonable depth, and then just keep on accumulating.

Posted
Been snowing here most the afternoon (wet snow) not sticking. However it is now sticking and coming down very heavy :)

*passes cookies and hot chocolate around*

Robert

Great stuff Robert, Good to here :wallbash:

Brian.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Steadily getting heavier - sticking everywhere, and the main band hasn't even reached us yet. With any luck by the end of tonight I'll be able to report decent depths along with all those lucky people in S Wales and W Midlands :wallbash:

As an aside, one thing I've really noticed since we moved up here from Leeds six years ago is that up here whenever it snows it seems to stick straight away. I remember back in Leeds sometimes it could snow for two hours and still not stick, but up here, even relatively light or short-lived falls stick immediately giving a covering, so when it does start snowing for any length of time (like now) it doesn't take long to get a reasonable depth, and then just keep on accumulating.

Your lucky it still seems to be light here dont know why, but at least it is sticking in places.

Anyone know if there's much chance of that massive band of ppn coming from the SW turning to snow? Not necessarily for my area but for places above us like Wales, Midlands etc.

The last BBC forecast said snow to "all levels" for Wales from this band.

Posted

give it time you should get it, bit close to the western edge, keep an eye on the radar and hope the brighter colours come over you!

Posted
At least you got some yesterday!

We got a light dusting which melted straight away

Seriously?

Wow. It was our best snowfall since 94', literally.

Lasted around 5-6 hours, with 2-3 hours of very heavy snow.

Posted

been snowing here for 5 hours now, and fairly heavily for the last 3, looks like its off up north now though and i suspect it may turn sleety as the precip rate lessens.

Posted
Stop it Robert! Anymore hot chocolate and cookies and Il be sick! :)

I will remember that for later! :wallbash::)

Posted

I give in lol. still no snow in rotherham, just the sleety stuff that always seems to happen. On another note, didnt that robert fella have a physcic prediction for the 10th febuary? Must have come a day early :wallbash:

Andy

Posted
Great stuff Robert, Good to here :wallbash:

Brian.

Thanks Brian,

Good luck for you getting some to :)

Robert

Posted
I give in lol. still no snow in rotherham, just the sleety stuff that always seems to happen. On another note, didnt that robert fella have a physcic prediction for the 10th febuary? Must have come a day early :wallbash:

Andy

SnoW fOrecast for tommorrow in the north....

SM06

Edited by SNOW-MAN2006

Posted
give it time you should get it, bit close to the western edge, keep an eye on the radar and hope the brighter colours come over you!

What do you think our chances are John? I keep looking at your weather station because your not far from me, the dewpoint is too high though atm. When will the main band reach us?

Posted

I don't want to fill the board up with will it snow questions but was hoping someone could tell me what the chances are of snow over the weekend in the Glasgow area? We haven't had any snow this cold spell and it would be nice if some of that weather reached us up here!

Thanks in advance :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
Your lucky it still seems to be light here dont know why, but at least it is sticking in places.

Yeah, that's quite surprising - I can't believe an extra 80m altitude and 10 miles east can make that much difference. Anyhow, looking at the 17.00 radar there's some heavy precipitation probably about 15-20 mins away from you (by now), so it shouldn't be too long before things kick off for you too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
I will remember that for later! :wallbash::)

Nooooo me wants more cookies and hot chocolate! I need to comfort eat and drink after seeing my snow melt at midday and have sleety snow since which didnt come close to settling! While Coalville 15 miles north west of me still have 2 inches on the ground and its settling there still.

Cookies and hot choccy all the way!

Posted

got dark temp has droped and now its going mad in leicestershire. complete road covering in 5 mins. and blizzard like conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Still not settling in Derby. Is is settling anywhere near here with the same elevation?

Snow falling very heavy here (Mickleover) with thick flakes. Definitely sticking - i'd say about 2cm but building up quickly.

Went to Cannock Chase this afternoon - some very heavy snow there - i reckon about 10cm away from the roads but the roads were getting a bit dicey too. Not sure how it is there now!