Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3rd March - Total Lunar Eclipse (Merged... again)

Sonia

Posted

OMG hazard warning: never make a fresh cuppa ,then turn your screen off to better your view of a lunar eclipse! :D

I just spent 10 mins pouring coffee out of my keyboard, thank goodness it still works...so far :rolleyes:

Posted

Danjon Scale

0 Very dark eclipse. Moon almost invisible, especially at mid-totality.

1 Dark Eclipse, gray or brownish in coloration. Details distinguishable only with difficulty.

2 Deep red or rust-colored eclipse. Very dark central shadow, while outer edge of umbra is relatively bright.

3 Brick-red eclipse. Umbral shadow usually has a bright or yellow rim.

4 Very bright copper-red or orange eclipse. Umbral shadow has a bluish, very bright rim.

What do you reckon?

Posted

i am in work tonight and even went out for a smoke but all the buildings around me are too high to see the moon. any more photos posted would be great. :rolleyes::D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Danjon Scale

0 Very dark eclipse. Moon almost invisible, especially at mid-totality.

1 Dark Eclipse, gray or brownish in coloration. Details distinguishable only with difficulty.

2 Deep red or rust-colored eclipse. Very dark central shadow, while outer edge of umbra is relatively bright.

3 Brick-red eclipse. Umbral shadow usually has a bright or yellow rim.

4 Very bright copper-red or orange eclipse. Umbral shadow has a bluish, very bright rim.

What do you reckon?

number 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I'll appreciate any colour. Only a tiny a speck of white can be seen now here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
I'll appreciate any colour. Only a tiny a speck of white can be seen now here.

Does your area have streetlights or other artificial light nearby? Looks rusty red here, number 2 on the scale Mr_Data posted.

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted

My dad just called to say the moon has nearly been covered, if I have not been watching this all night, parents no idea :rolleyes:

Posted
Does your area have streetlights or other artificial light nearby? Looks rusty red here, number 2 on the scale Mr_Data posted.

There are streetlights at the end of the road, but not immediately out the front of the house. I can now see the moon turning orangey, only faint at the moment though.

Posted

Its funny, it looks like it isnt almost covered anymore to the eye with the red hue all over it.. and its white cap

Truly spectacular, we were just saying imagine if you hadnt heard about it and you looked up at the sky and saw that!!!

:rolleyes:

Posted

Absolutely beautiful sight here, defo number 2 Mr Data

Rusty colour with brightish rim.

Crystal skies

Paul S

Posted

I let the kids stay up until totality. They were so excited. When I was about their age I remember my dad letting me do the same. There is something very otherworldy about the moon now, the night sky could be a scene from a science fiction drawing.

It looks much more of a sphere. Like an orange christmas tree bauble with twinkly star lights!

Edited by Daisy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Fantastic sight - I was just out there thinking what it'd look like if you were on the Moon. The blazing Sun would begin to be eaten away by a larger darken sphere until completely gone. Then you'd seen a dim glowing orange ball where the Sun once was covering everywhere in a haunting orange light - that must be pretty damn amazing! One day maybe we'll see it...

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Superb conditions here.... seen a total lunar a few times but this one is really clear here. Looking forward to see what colours develope.

Just popped in for a fresh tinnie. :rolleyes: ... not gonna waste any more time on the web whilst nature is at it's best... back outside for more. :D

Enjoy... cheers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff
i am in work tonight and even went out for a smoke but all the buildings around me are too high to see the moon. any more photos posted would be great. :rolleyes::D

hi mick, here are a couple

post-6055-1172962723_thumb.jpgpost-6055-1172962735_thumb.jpg

Posted

What a lovely sight! I can now see the orange. The rim is a greyish white colour. I better make the most of it.