Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Apophis on collision course with Earth!

Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Debates have begun in the scientific community over the consequences of a probable impact by this 250m rock in 2036. The concensus is it could cause more devastation than the 2004 tsunami if not 'dealt with' before it's predicted arrival.

What are our options in dealing with N.E.O.'s (near Earth Objects) in your opinion?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Anymore doom and gloom from you my son, and i'll be blocking you :lol:

Well, i didn't know anything about this, so links and like would be a help and then i'll get back to you! ;););)

Edit: http://www.space.com/news/050519_asteroid_mission.html

1 in 10000 probabiltiy of a hit. It's like Global Warming, mate. All ifs, buts, maybe, possibiltities..no hard fact 100% proof!

Edited by Mondy

Posted

http://space.about.com/b/a/256690.htm

After an earlier close passage by the Earth on April 13 2029, astronomers felt it was possible (though improbable) that asteroid Apophis could pass through a keyhole leading to a collision in 2036. Although that possibility has now been ruled out, Sutherland says "the asteroid will fly so near the Earth on an earlier encounter on Friday the 13th of April, 2029, that it will come closer than TV and communications satellites."

We're all doomed, i'll tell 'ya!

Surely by 2036 we will be able to handle something like this.

Well, if these wackos are to be believed, a couple of missiles will blow the said rock to smithereens

http://www.rense.com/general69/doom.htm

Posted
We're all doomed, i'll tell 'ya!

As the Protoceratops said to the Velocoraptor.........

We will be hit at some point and some of the methods of deflection are very 'subtle' (parking a spacecraft alongside to allow it's gravity to draw it off course or Giant mirros to heat up a localised area to produce heat/thrust to alter orbit) and some less so (see Mondy's thread).

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Grumpy Pants!

I know we are treated to these stories year on year but we hadn't had ours this year!

We may not be able to stop Tornadoes or Hurricanes but if we (the U.N.) doesn't create a workable inter-govermental strategy to 'deal' with such eventualities then we haven't advanced any further (in this field) than the Dinosaurs did and so, in time, we will share their fate (they coped with climate change though and were able to watch when the first Bird Flu!!).

Posted

Gee-Dubya, you must be the most miserable git on the planet, and probably pose a greater threat to human will-to-live than any of the potential Armageddon scenarios you take such pleasure in bringing us.

Personally, I believe it will all end with aliens.

Edited by The Penguin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous
Gee-Dubya, you must be the most miserable git on the planet, and probably pose a greater threat to human will-to-live than any of the potential Armageddon scenarios you take such pleasure in bringing us.

Personally, I believe it will all end with aliens.

I was thinking "the second coming".

Edited by Supercell

Posted

Some reasonably up-to-date info on Apophis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_MN4

If we are still here, a pass at 5.6 earth radii should be worth looking at. Interesting to note that it won't be till 2013 before the small risk of a collision on the second pass can be more accurately calculated.

:)P

Posted
Isn't the world going to end in 2012?

PT,

Referring to my life-planner, by 2012 my mortgage will be paid off, my doughters will be married off, and my wife will have run off. My @rse will be in clover.

So yes, in all probability, the world will end right then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The posts above highlight why one day in the very near future, we will all die! I can only assume you all dont mind dying, as everyone these days seems to treat imminent death as a joke :D

Asteroids, Global warming, diseases - all joked about, then suddenly when its too late it's a case of "oops we should have done something"

Although the 2036 Asteroid may not hit, whats to say there isnt a much bigger one 10 years later?

I think human society is going, and rightly deserves to be killed off!

Posted

Stephen - would you rather we all ran round screaming and tearing our hair out? There is nothing I can personally do should an asteroid be heading my way so I am bloody sure I'm not going to spend the next thirty years worrying about it!

Posted

Exactly flagpole.

The end of the cold war has a lot to answer for. How fondly I remember the days when all we had to worry about was being blown off the face of the earth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Stephen - would you rather we all ran round screaming and tearing our hair out? There is nothing I can personally do should an asteroid be heading my way so I am bloody sure I'm not going to spend the next thirty years worrying about it!

Not everyone is going to run around screaming and losing it. Thats true, but what if one came into view tomorrow?

Theres no answer but thats the question, if it ever happens should we do anything or just consign ourselves to fate?

Posted
Not everyone is going to run around screaming and losing it. Thats true, but what if one came into view tomorrow?

Theres no answer but thats the question, if it ever happens should we do anything or just consign ourselves to fate?

But what can I do? What can you do? Nothing!

So laugh at it, it will make your last few years more enjoyable at least!