• Above average
    • Much above average
    • Mildest march on record
  2. 2. Do you think there will be a notible snowfall in March in the Uk

• Yes
    • No
    • Haven't a clue

Posted

Yes although i love snow :D dont we all! very mild in Eastmidlands although the bitter winds our coming from the south! :rofl: ALSO NO I DONT THINK IT WILL SNOW! ooops caps locks o! :D

Although i do have some thoughts i thuink its going to be around 6.5

Edited by Gallow_glass

Posted
Persian Paladin: 4.2C

Steve B: 6.1C

Mark Beyley: 6.5C

Flagpole: 6.7C

Mr Data: 6.8C

Terminal Moriane: 6.8C

Optimus Prime: 7C

Great Plum: 7.3C

Snowyowl9: 7.5C

The Pit: 7.5C

Snow-Man2006: 7.5C

Beng: 7.5C

Snowmaiden: 7.6C

Kold Weather: 7.8C

Roger J Smith: 7.8C

Lesta Snow: 8.1C

Gray Wolf: 8.7C

Rollo: 9C

Summer Blizzard: 9.3C

Summer my second name is spelt BAYLEY not BEYLEY :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Well since the comp started my accuracy has dropped :D Despite my milder than average forecasts the temperature has decided to go well above, so either i guess ridiculously low to get a 'normal' value or i go with what i think will happen and we can get another way above return....

I will go with the latter and my punt for the month is a mild 7.6C

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
Summer Blizzard !!! 9.3 :rofl:

From someone who predicted a very cold winter im shocked.... i thought you liked cold??? SACRA No. 07

:D

SM06

Actually, i only predicted January to be cold, i predicted December and February to be both 0.5C above average.

Sorry about the misspelt name, i'll change it when i update the list, that will be when we are on the third page of the thread, so rather than simply voting in the poll people, make a guess!!!!

Posted

Well, my initial thoughts were for March to turn out a CET close to average. However, now that the cold second half of February has failed to materialise, I'm going to stick my neck out and go for a March CET of 7.7C. Yet another warm month.....

:D

Posted

Persian Paladin: 4.2C

Pudsey: 5.7C

Steve B: 6.1C

Mark Bayley: 6.5C

Gallow Glass: 6.5C

Flagpole: 6.7C

Mr Data: 6.8C

Terminal Moriane: 6.8C

Winston: 6.8C

Optimus Prime: 7C

Great Plum: 7.3C

Snowyowl9: 7.5C

The Pit: 7.5C

Snow-Man2006: 7.5C

Beng: 7.5C

Snowmaiden: 7.6C

Wind Swept: 7.6C

Don: 7.7C

Kold Weather: 7.8C

Roger J Smith: 7.8C

Lesta Snow: 8.1C

Catch My Drift: 8.2C

Gray Wolf: 8.7C

Rollo: 9C

Summer Blizzard: 9.3C

No offence taken, i may be a continental ramper at heart but i back whatever my teleconnection forecasts say, whether that be mild or cold, in summer or winter.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

i think march will be mild overall with some good dry spells. some short cooler intervals. i think at the end of the month it might even feel quite warm never mind mild. im going for 7.9c

Posted

I doubt whether March will be cold, it rarely is after a mild February. It is a well known fact of the British Climate that mild Febs are nearly always followed by mild Marches, just like it is becoming a well known fact of the British Climate that winter is rarely cold after a warm September.

Another fact to the above is, that it does not always work the other way round (Cold Febs often followed by cold Marches), as the cold Febs of 1981, 1991 and 1994 all led to mild Marches. The warm September theory is true that it is rarely followed by a cold winter, whereas again that theory does not always work the other way round, as the cool Septembers of 1974 and 1994 were still followed by mild winters. Sometimes theories work one way but not always the other.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
I doubt whether March will be cold, it rarely is after a mild February. It is a well known fact of the British Climate that mild Febs are nearly always followed by mild Marches, just like it is becoming a well known fact of the British Climate that winter is rarely cold after a warm September.

Another fact to the above is, that it does not always work the other way round (Cold Febs often followed by cold Marches), as the cold Febs of 1981, 1991 and 1994 all led to mild Marches. The warm September theory is true that it is rarely followed by a cold winter, whereas again that theory does not always work the other way round, as the cool Septembers of 1974 and 1994 were still followed by mild winters. Sometimes theories work one way but not always the other.

i think that is a very good point you have made. another thing i heard was warm octobers are followed by cold winters.that certainly wasnt the case this yr, the winter was still mild

Posted

Yes, there is a theory that warm Octobers are often followed by cold winters, but that is for warm and dry Octobers (1969, 1978, 1995 etc). We found in 2001 that the warm wet October type does not work, and was true again this year, as Oct 2006 still was NOT warm and dry, and neither was Oct 2001.

Posted

First foray into this, I'm pushing my luck from John's comp, so I'm punting at a pretty sickening 8.4

Though why I should say it's sickening I'm not sure, once the chance of real winter's gone I'm looking for warm,dry & sunny :D

Dave

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

After a pathetic excuse for a cool August, disappointing autumn and winter I going to presume the worst and give March 2007 a C.E.T of 10C - The HOTTEST March on record. I have completely given up on hoping for cold weather.

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

I'll go for 7.6

Posted

Since 1900, Marches that had a lower CET than the previous winter

1995 5.6 Winter 1994-95 5.9

1976 4.8 Winter 1975-76 5.2

1975 4.8 Winter 1974-75 6.4

1962 2.8 Winter 1961-62 3.6

1958 3.7 Winter 1957-58 4.2

1955 3.2 Winter 1954-55 3.5

1949 5.1 Winter 1948-49 5.6

1937 3.6 Winter 1936-37 5.4

1932 4.7 Winter 1931-32 4.8

1925 4.9 Winter 1924-25 5.8

1922 4.6 Winter 1921-22 4.9

1919 3.6 Winter 1918-19 3.9

1916 3.3 Winter 1915-16 5.5

1901 4.1 Winter 1900-01 4.3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
The warm September theory is true that it is rarely followed by a cold winter, whereas again that theory does not always work the other way round, as the cool Septembers of 1974 and 1994 were still followed by mild winters. Sometimes theories work one way but not always the other.

The slightly cool September of 1919 was also followed by a mild 1919/1920 winter. The cool September of 1952 and 2001 were followed by mixed winters (Cool Decembers but slightly mild Januaries and Februaries).

p.s I certenly don't think it will snow at all this rubbish spring.

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted

The warm/dry October theory leading to a colder winter has been discussed to death, and no link was found, i believe that the links which were found were that a cool and wet August combined with a warm and wet November led to a colder winter in the majority of cases.

In my opinion, the cooler the year, the better.

Posted

Craig Evans;

It is not entirely true that winter 1952-53 had a cold December but a slightly mild Jan/Feb. Jan 1953 was below average (3.3), whereas Feb 1953 was a marginally above average (4.3). A slightly mild Jan/Feb 2002 is a bit of an understatement. Feb 2002 had a CET of 7.0; very mild indeed.

Posted
The warm/dry October theory leading to a colder winter has been discussed to death, and no link was found, i believe that the links which were found were that a cool and wet August combined with a warm and wet November led to a colder winter in the majority of cases.

In my opinion, the cooler the year, the better.

ill try 6.7. ty :p