Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Late Autumnal Type Spell in Early July 1965

Lettucing Gutted

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

According to http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/1965_weather.htm Northerly winds brought Bright, Cold and Dry weather to Britain in the first week of July 1965. It then says that temperatures were CLOSE TO FREEZING in the the Midlands on the 4th July.

Unfortunately it doesn't specify exactly how cold the 4th July 1965 was.

Does anyone know how cold the 4th July 1965 really was in the Midlands?

I would like to know both the Max and Min temperatures for that day if possible. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Rrea00119650704.gif

There would have certainly been below average temperatures, though i suspect the article refers to the minima.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

Thankyou Summer Blizzard.

Sorry heat lovers but I would like to see that cold, dry bright weather myself in future Julys. It is ashame I was wasn't born before 1986 otherwise I would experienced some of the coldest weather of the 20th Century.

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
The article is referring to minima. The 4th of July 1965 had maxima into the low teens across the south.

PS

Shouldn't that be early autumnal rather than late autumnal type? :p

Or even late Spring!!

Posted
The article is referring to minima. The 4th of July 1965 had maxima into the low teens across the south.

Thankyou Mr_Data. :D

PS

Shouldn't that be early autumnal rather than late autumnal type? :p

Yeah. Sorry about that. I wrongly assumed that when Trevor's webpage mentioned "Close to freezing" I thought he meant the daytime high which I then assumed would be something like the old 1960-1991 average high in November (9C).

Edited by Craig Evans

• 3 years later...
Posted

It is now the 45th Anniversary of this forgotten high-summer cold snap. With a Mean CET Daily temperature of only 10C the 4th of July 1965 was the coldest July day of the 20th Century and indeed recent times.

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cetdl1772on.dat

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted

The maximum at London on the 4th and 5th were around 16.0c only. The highest was on the 14th when it reached 24c. The lowest minimum for a more central location of London was 7.1c which is exceptionally low. Here's the average London temperature for May - September 1965;

May 13.1c (rather warm)

June 15.5c (about normal)

July 15.8c (very cool)

August 16.6c (rather cool)

September 13.3c (very cold)

http://www.london-weather.eu/article.104.html