Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Virtual storm chase

Posted

RE: Doppler radar in the US.

The detail is stunning here.

As I'm sure Paul S and others who have been over here know, when a severe thunderstorm warning is issued, local tv stations interrupt the programs to give you live doppler updates. They can also draw a line from the current position and work out near enough the exact time the storm will bear down on certain areas. Pretty amazing stuff.

Posted

Bad Night

1226 3 SW CAULFIELD OZARK MO 3658 9214 *** 1 FATAL, 3 INJ *** BASED A TORNADO SURVEY BY THE NWS THE HOWELL COUNTY TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN 3SW OF CAULFIELD MO AND MOVED NE TO 1SW OF THE JUNCTION OF 160/63. THE T (SGF)

1230 CAULFIELD HOWELL MO 3661 9210 NO DAMAGE REPORTED (SGF)

1233 3 SW CAULFIELD OZARK MO 3658 9214 *** 1 FATAL, 4 INJ *** BASED A TORNADO SURVEY BY THE NWS THE HOWELL COUNTY TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN 3SW OF CAULFIELD MO AND MOVED NE TO 1SW OF THE JUNCTION OF 160/63. THE T (SGF)

1238 3 W WEST PLAINS HOWELL MO 3673 9191 TORNADO TOUCHDOWN OCCURED NEAR ROUTE K, WEST OF TOWN NEAR THE FAIRVIEW SCHOOL. NO DAMAGE TO THE SCHOOL OR OTHER STRUCTURES HAS BEEN REPORTED. (SGF)

1300 CAULFIELD HOWELL MO 3661 9210 DAMAGE REPORTED TO TWO GAS STATIONS, FOUR MOBILE HOMES AND TWO FRAME HOMES. (SGF)

1847 ELWIN MACON IL 3978 8896 *** 1 INJ *** NWS SURVEY TEAM DETERMINED AN EF0 TORNADO BEGAN 1/2 MILE SOUTHWEST OF THE INTERSECTION OF ELWIN ROAD AND RT. 51 AND ENDED 1/2 MILE NNE OF THERE. PATH LENG (ILX)

1905 SW ENTERPRISE COFFEE AL 3131 8585 EM REPORTED TORNADO ON GROUND OVER ENTERPRISE MUNICIPAL AIRPORT. NO DAMAGE REPORTS YET. (TAE)

1910 ENTERPRISE COFFEE AL 3131 8585 IN COFFEE COUNTY...1/8 MILE WIDE DAMAGE PATH THROUGH ENTERPRISE. POSSIBLY DOZENS OF HOMES DAMAGED. BASED ON RADAR...TORNADO WENT THROUGH ENTERPRISE AT 110PM CST. (TAE)

1915 ENTERPRISE COFFEE AL 3131 8585 *** 15 FATAL *** MSNBC REPORTS A TOTAL OF 15 FATALITIES FROM THE TORNADO AT ENTERPRISE HIGH SCHOOL. (TAE)

1920 LEVEL PLAINS DALE AL 3130 8578 TORNADO REPORTED ON GROUND ON CR1 NEAR LEVEL PLAINS. NO DAMAGE REPORTS YET. (TAE)

1925 ENTERPRISE COFFEE AL 3131 8585 TORNADO REPORTED ON GROUND ON FT RUCKER BLVD IN ENTERPRISE. NO DAMAGE REPORTS YET. (TAE)

1930 5 N FORT GAINES CLAY GA 3168 8505 APPARENT TORNADO APPROXIMATELY 5 MILES NORTH OF FORT GAINES, GA. NUMEROUS TREES DOWN AND HOMES DAMAGED. (TAE)

1950 ECHO DALE AL 3147 8546 WDHN TV REPORTS TORNADO AT ECHO, AL...LIFTED MOBILE HOME OFF CINDER BLOCKS WHILE A WOMAN AND CHILD WERE INSIDE. INJURY REPORTS NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME. (TAE)

2005 3 NW ABBEVILLE HENRY AL 3160 8529 SR10. TRACTOR TRAILER OVERTURNED. (TAE)

2005 6 NE SCREAMER HENRY AL 3172 8513 ALONG CR97. MULTIPLE HOMES DAMAGED. TREES AND POWERLINES DOWN. (TAE)

2105 12 SE HAYNEVILLE LOWNDES AL 3206 8643 TOUCHDOWN REPORTED IN SANDY RIDGE. SEVERAL HOUSES DAMAGED. (BMX)

2115 10 SE HAYNEVILLE LOWNDES AL 3208 8646 EMA REPORTS TOUCHDOWN IN LETOHATCHEE. (BMX)

2135 RAMER MONTGOMERY AL 3206 8623 UNCONFIRMED TORNADO TOUCHDOWN (BMX)

2230 ARLEY WINSTON AL 3408 8721 TRAINED SPOTTER REPORTS TWO TORNADOES TOUCHED DOWN IN ARLEY WITH MULTIPLE HOMES DESTROYED. (BMX)

2330 2 N COLUMBUS MUSCOGEE GA 3250 8497 NUMEROUS REPORTS OF A TORNADO HAS CAUSED DAMAGE TO HOMES IN THE NORTH COLUMBUS AREA. (FFC)

0110 4 ENE WARRENTON WARREN GA 3343 8260 *** 3 INJ *** POSSIBLE TORNADO. NUMEROUS HOMES DAMAGED WITH A FEW INJURIES. SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO BRIARWOOD ACADEMY ON HIGHWAY 278. (FFC)

0222 AMERICUS SUMTER GA 3207 8423 *** 2 FATAL *** POSSIBLE TORNADO. SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO HOMES AND THE HOSPITAL. NUMEROUS TREES AND POWER LINES DOWN. GEMA CONFIRMED TWO FATALITIES. (FFC)

0345 12 SE IRWINTON WILKINSON GA 3269 8303 TORNADO REPORTED BY THE PUBLIC. LAW ENFORCEMENT HAS CONFIRMED AT LEAST ONE HOME DAMAGED NEAR NICKELSVILLE. (FFC)

0510 11 N MITCHELL CO AIRPOR BAKER GA 3137 8424 MOBILE HOMES DAMAGED. (TAE)

0518 3 S ISABELLA WORTH GA 3152 8385 TREES DOWN WITH SOME DAMAGE. (TAE)

0545 2 NE BACONTON MITCHELL GA 3140 8414 (TAE)

0545 4 S ISABELLA WORTH GA 3151 8385 TREES DOWN. ONE 18 WHEELER JACKKNIFED IN THE MEDIAN OF U.S. HWY 19. (TAE)

0600 3 NNE TEMPY WORTH GA 3149 8380 *** 1 INJ *** HOME LEVELED. (TAE)

Also another fatality in the wind report section as well, when Tornadoes hit built up populated areas things are not good.

post-24-1172828043_thumb.png

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

If the current trend (Feb figures not included yet!) could be

a good chasing season Paul..

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/torn/monthlytornstats.html

Oh the Feb figures are there!!! doh!

Edited by Northern Light

Posted

Very sad day and shows how dangerous and unpredictable these things are..

Fascinating to watch a funnel cloud developing though and how violent the lightning is..

Posted

Saw it in the news and was quite suprised, mind you I did hear a week ago about someone saying the set-up in the states was the classic early spring set-up for severe weather but its quite sad to hear.

Generally though Springs that have El nino's decaying always tends to be active, wasn't the 1998 season extremely active?

That Spring had a strong El nino decaying stupidly fast like this one currently, well its more neutral then El nino now I suppose!

I'll expect this tornado season to be very active if this set-up can lock in, storm tracks presently exactly where we'd want for severe storms, as the last week has shown quite neatly.

Posted

Potty,

Yes it is very sad indeed but over half of those lives need not have been lost. I have a feeling like a lot of people in the States that the School authorities are in for a grilling.

1. The Schools maybe should close if in a HIGH Risk Area

2. Gymnasiums should NOT Be used, a 1960's directive says all pupils if unavoidably in school should be taken to Corridoors in the middle of the school and NOT Gyms

3. The Teachers should not have told Parents to pick up their children as the Sirens were wailing, some Parents had a lucky escape when their cars were picked up and flipped over

4. The School had a 20 minute notice for this storm from local media sources.

Paul S

Posted

Well I have to agree with you on all those points Paul. Perhaps with it being so early in the year that some felt it was unlikely to happen the way it did all pan out yesterday. There certainly were some major mistakes made and I hope that something is learned from all of this. It's just like all sense went out of the window...

Posted

Very tragic to hear about this. Its just the start of the Tornado season as well I think..

Posted

I think what people should also remember is WHERE This happened. If a High risk was issued accross the Mid West in either Tex/Okl/Kan or Nebraska then you would expect about 500 Chasers to Chase and give vital info to the Law Enforcement etc, in High season this could be as much as 1000 people chasing a high risk, now as far as I know only a handfull of chasers bothered yesterday and most of them were from Alabama and Mississippi, believe me when i say this is almost Non Chaseable, I onionse a brick last year when we were stuck in 3 lanes of stationery traffic on I20 Near the Mississppi crossing with Tornadoes crossing the road in front of us and behind us, too many people and dreadful chase terrain, a bit like trying to get a Nado in Wolverhampton if you were on the Eastern side of Brum at Tea time (IT Aint Gonna Happen) most of that Area is below sea level with heavy woods and hills. So if you look at the stats hardly anybody loses their life in Tornado Alley nowadays, whereas the Dixie Alley has a nightmare with Fatal Statistics, remember Missouri in March and April last year, scores of people killed, Florida earlier this year as well.

Paul Sherman

Posted
i was watchng this on the news this morning.

didnt think it was the tornado season!

Tornadoes can hit any time of the year, but they are more numerous and amplified between

mid March til the end of May .. Cold air from the north clashes with warm moist tropical air..

Posted
Tornadoes can hit any time of the year, but they are more numerous and amplified between

mid March til the end of May .. Cold air from the north clashes with warm moist tropical air..

thanks for le me know that. learn something new everyday! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

news off the wire tells us Tornadoes happen 'out of season' in El-Nino years......El-Nino ended in late Jan????? The twenty that died in Florida a month ago could be put down to an 'El-Nino' influence but what of this late winter storm?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Yes some great Vide Clips there, have seen almost most of that footage, the 2 Tornadoes are the 3rd May 1999 Moore F5, & You also have the Air Force Base when the Tornado missed about 1 Billions worth of Fighter Jets. Steve that Manchester F4 Was the one where National Geographic successfully deployed probes in its path, and got vital data regarding vortices within a Tornado as well.

Great Clips

Paul Sherman

Posted
Yes some great Vide Clips there, have seen almost most of that footage, the 2 Tornadoes are the 3rd May 1999 Moore F5, & You also have the Air Force Base when the Tornado missed about 1 Billions worth of Fighter Jets. Steve that Manchester F4 Was the one where National Geographic successfully deployed probes in its path, and got vital data regarding vortices within a Tornado as well.

Great Clips

Paul Sherman

Hi Paul, ah yes remember seeing that NG prog.. :shok: there was another when a chap made a unit with still/video camera's inside, it got smashed but it

did take a partial pic of the inside of a twister.. :( wonder if it is somewhere on the net.

Steve

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yes, an awesome clip of a tornado, looks a bit close for comfort until they decide to move. I'll be making sure Paul S or me gets us the hell out of there long before they do if I'm in the car!

Posted

Just noticed Chuck Doswells Tornado footage of the Texas Tornado that wiped out a whole town on there as well.

Paul S

Posted

Amazing videos. Thanks for posting them I don't think I would want to be that close to a Tornado. :nonono: