Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

lost all my grass!

Mad Murdoch

Posted
would it be better to let the ground dry out a little before sowing the seed? How wet is it? You don't want it to just rot.

Beginning of April it might have a bit more warmth to it too.

Just a thought :rolleyes:

It really does look like someone has just skimmed the grass off!

ok will wait a bit until i will re seed it...

thats what i have said since it has happened..

but nobody belives me..

Posted
ok will wait a bit until i will re seed it...

I have to say I'm not an expert it's just if the conditions have contributed to the grass dying there is no point trying to start a new lot off until things dry out a bit.

:rolleyes:

Posted

cheers for the advice....

no this happened before we got the dog...

i dont know if this could have anything to do with it, but the giunea pig died on the grass. about 3 days before it happened...

also when it rains we have these big black worm everywhere.

Posted
I like to sow my seed all year round, but find the best results happen either in the autumn and right about now.

I’m sure you will agree Maestro that seed sowing is best done in moist conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
cheers for the advice....

no this happened before we got the dog...

i dont know if this could have anything to do with it, but the giunea pig died on the grass. about 3 days before it happened...

also when it rains we have these big black worm everywhere.

Sorry to hear that Kelly.

Sounds like some chemical has been spilt or put onto it if the guinea pig died on it. But then you said you havent used any weedkiller or anything. Puzzling.

PS: I have lugworm in my lawn, this might be what you are describing. They love waterlogged soil. They wouldn't cause the damage that you have posted in those pics though.

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

As Oon suggests the ground looks very compacted and so, with the winters rain, oxygen to the roots becomes a problem.

Stick a fork in 2/3 of it's length and pull it back a bit ('till you feel the sod lift a bit) and repeat until all of the ground is 'lifted'. Don't walk on it for a few weeks. See if a little oxygenation to the subsoil does with ant roots remaining. If it 'picks up' try a fertiliser. Lift it again in autumn and keep of it and hopefull you'll improve things.

Though Oon was more concise I didn't know if you'd know.....as it were.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

This sounds lke those dreaded daddy long legs. They lay their eggs in the autumn and the grubs feed on the roots of the grass. Otherwise known as Leather Jackets they destroyed our lawn last year. We did have a decent lawn and our neighbours had no problems at all. The worms you refer to are the grubs and they appear on the surface in the morning or after rain. Sorry mate but it looks like a new lawn.

Posted
This sounds lke those dreaded daddy long legs. They lay their eggs in the autumn and the grubs feed on the roots of the grass. Otherwise known as Leather Jackets they destroyed our lawn last year. We did have a decent lawn and our neighbours had no problems at all. The worms you refer to are the grubs and they appear on the surface in the morning or after rain. Sorry mate but it looks like a new lawn.

great, more money!

thanks andy, thats the worms i have.... :)

at least that puts my mind as rest..

i thought there was a grass robber about :)

Posted
This happened to us. Only a small patch of grass though. My dad was not very impressed with the wine he purchased from the local happy shopper, so he poured it over the lawn. The next morning, the grass had gone and all flora and fauna within a 2 metre radius had withered and died. Thankfully, I avoided the liebfraumilch.

i did that didn't need a mower it came up half cut :):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.
ok :)

thank you raythomas...... :)

:)

• 1 month later...
Posted
Same thing's happening to my lawn... only it's the blackbirds that are nesting nearby pulling all the moss up :wallbash:

at least urs will grow back.

thinking about redesigning the garden. having no grass, just decking and pave the rest...

Posted

Leatherjackets were my first thought after reading the first post. I wasn't sure if the climate suited them in the UK though.

Posted
Leatherjackets were my first thought after reading the first post. I wasn't sure if the climate suited them in the UK though.

yes it was leather jackets and they are still here....

cant get rid of them

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

You have some crazy and weird people by you if they were to steal it. i live on a very busy main road with a good sized front garden and i havent had our lawn robbed! :)

The only time our grass goes a bit is when weeks of heat and sun comes here which is often in summer here.

Your Problem is very weird! I cant think of any problem.

Posted
The only time our grass goes a bit is when weeks of heat and sun comes here which is often in summer here.

The only time ours goes is when the dog pees on it. Like bloody great crop circles :)

Edited by Mondy