Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter

Posted

The worst winter for me for cold 7 frosts now 8 and 3 days of snow 2 only sticking. However i did see my deepest snowffall for me in febuary for a couple of years

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

To add, I've had 20 air frosts so far, by this time last year it was 57. And in total there was 70, including the Spring.

Last year, I had 18 snow showers and two snow coverings. This year, not a single flake. The Winter has been a waste of time, except for the gales and rain but even they were too frequent for my liking.

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted

I haven't checked to see if an analysis has already been done, but maybe the question should be, "where did it go wrong?"

Many LRF's went for a colder than average second half of winter, yet that never really materalised. I'm sure IB, TEITS, WIB, Tamara G, KW and Steve et al will have their own views about what went wrong?

I presume alot of discussion will base itself around the SST's, the strong jet, the AO etc but the I guess the question with these is what caused them to be a portent for alot of zonality? There must be some overiding factors which will hopefully be learnt from and used for next winter!

Posted

As a window cleaner I have lost loads of days work, lying snow not a big problem, neither frosty sunny weather, but wind and or rain really stops play .Pants Pants Pants, crappiest , worsy winter ever!!! At least the white stuff is beautiful and fun for kids of all ages.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

winter has been rather disapointting, as a child i remember waking up to a white wonderland regularly which i took for granted, now i desperatly want snow but i dont get it, i wna move to saskatoon getcam.jpg

Posted
winter has been rather disapointting, as a child i remember waking up to a white wonderland regularly which i took for granted, now i desperatly want snow but i dont get it, i wna move to saskatoon getcam.jpg
:unknw: The uk s recent climate makes me wna move to another country too, Canada, or USA,France, Germany,OR Poland OR N Zealand Anywhere they have proper seasons, warm summers/cold snowy winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

yes james my preference would be canada as the temps are usually the same in winter and summer but in winter they have a minus before it haha, looking forward to a good summer anyway

Posted

To summerise this winter well 1st of all since Nov 1st I`ve had 20 air frosts.

But it`s been one of the most dominating atlantic winter`s ever with SW-lys westerlies no wonder it`s been so mild.

And a very stormy one at that :) the dry quite cold spell over christmas was nothing special as it was gloomy and not that cold here.

November did bring a day/night of sleet/snow showers though.

February did give us 12 inches of snow though and powdery drifting snow on the first day in the east wind which was great as we had our coldest night of the winter at -5.7c before so I`m happy with that :)

But overall it`s been a major disappointment after the last few winters.

Here was our 1st severe gales of many this winter which is what I`ll remember this winter by and of the very heavy frontal snowfall and no snow showers which is unheard of. :hi:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2006/...n0120061203.png

Posted

Wouldn't normally pick up on typos as we all make them, but the one in the title probably says it all:

Winter, The summery

And yes, it was probably more summery (in temperatures at least), than it was 'wintery' :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

winter crap but the double whammy of snow 8-9 feb was ace. but only one cold spell with snow from Nov 15th ish to mid March PATHETIC :hi:

i hope our future winters are not gonna be completely zonal and westerly dominated with CC and GW etc

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Sorry I missed it.

To be honest there wasn't a Winter this year. A late Autumn with three cold days and then into Spring.

Posted

Well winter didn't touch here, we had a 3 days of consecutive frost, that was the height of it, really quite depressing and disheartening for the cold weather lover in me.

Theres always next year and and..... :hi:

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

Winter? I must have blinked and missed it :rolleyes:

A couple of bad frosts, two days of lying snow and the rest was just wet, wet and more wet, grey mild days.

Posted

The winter began with most areas of the northern hemisphere under strong zonal flow, so the main question was, who would weaken first and get access to the rather strong arctic air masses that were evident in the high latitudes from late November.

The answer turned out to be North America, the flow weakened there in mid-January and the arctic air masses came rushing south into eastern North America while western Europe was still under a strong SW flow and having one of the strongest storms in many years on 18-19 January.

Although the flow then weakened as many had expected from various different forecasting perspectives, the problem at that time was that the arctic air mass had settled into the eastern half of Canada so that there was only limited amounts of arctic air available to travel out of the arctic to other destinations. Western Europe and eastern Asia both got only limited amounts as a result, despite some brief windows of opportunity. So the winter season was reduced to a few weeks in each case and while it was probably the mildest winter or second mildest on record for you, at least there was in fact quite a decent if brief display of winter's power in late January and early February.

From my evolving research perspective, I think what it all shows is that we are in the midst of a reset of the arctic vortex to a more western longitude favouring colder weather in western and central North America, while almost all other northern hemisphere regions face a less promising period for several years if not decades ahead. It has also been noted here that we have had a rather cold winter with more snow than usual at all elevations, about four significant snowfalls at sea level, and a heavy snow pack accumulating in the alpine. This may also be related to a shift westward of the arctic vortex that in my research would be related to a westward shift of the NMP.

I don't think it means that winter weather has been eliminated from western Europe altogether, but I have to say that after the past two winters with promising windows of opportunity, if this is the most you can get out of them, a mild set-up in some future winter would be likely to produce a complete lack of frost and snow. Whether it has something to do with AGW or is just some natural cycle playing out, it will take almost a perfect alignment of various factors to produce anything really wintry in future seasons, at least until this westward drift of arctic features stops or accelerates to the point where you get into the action from the other side of the circulation, so to speak.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For Cleadon, the winter quarter had the following stats:

Snow cover days: 2

Sleet/snow falling days: 10

Those don't tell the whole story. By the "snow cover days" measure it was the most snowless winter since 1999/2000, and by the "sleet/snow falling days", the most snowless since 1997/98. However, I only reported snow on three days- the remaining seven had only sleet, and by that measure, it would stand as the most snowless winter quarter for over two decades.

Maximum snow cover accumulation was 2cm; the lowest for a winter quarter since 1997/98. (It should be noted that 1997/98 was followed by snowy interludes in March and April, so if Spring 2007 turns out snowless, snowlessness records may tumble for Season 2006/07 as a whole.)

Perhaps what has been more remarkable is the tendency for homogeneous warmth. The Atlantic systems have been so never-ending during the Atlantic spells that temperature variation was somewhat limited.

Posted
Wouldn't normally pick up on typos as we all make them, but the one in the title probably says it all:

Winter, The summery

And yes, it was probably more summery (in temperatures at least), than it was 'wintery' :lol:

You beat me to it! Freudian slip. or a statement regarding modern education. Modern education for the even larger teapot anyone?

Maximum snow cover accumulation was 2cm; the lowest for a winter quarter since 1997/98. (It should be noted that 1997/98 was followed by snowy interludes in March and April, so if Spring 2007 turns out snowless, snowlessness records may tumble for Season 2006/07 as a whole.)

Perhaps what has been more remarkable is the tendency for homogeneous warmth. The Atlantic systems have been so never-ending during the Atlantic spells that temperature variation was somewhat limited.

The second "beat me to it". I was musing a moment ago that the winter isn't over yet, but nowadays, alas, it seems to be the case that wintry weather really does limit itself to the boundaries set by the winter nadir and the end of the meteorolgical winter. Not that long ago it stretched outside the start of the meteorological winter and beyond the spring equinox.

Posted
The second "beat me to it". I was musing a moment ago that the winter isn't over yet, but nowadays, alas, it seems to be the case that wintry weather really does limit itself to the boundaries set by the winter nadir and the end of the meteorolgical winter. Not that long ago it stretched outside the start of the meteorological winter and beyond the spring equinox.

Like last year for example? Or the previous one for Autumnal winter weather? So not that long ago at all really

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

..... so of us expected a very mild winter, after all, it was only a matter of time in this age of gw before a record warm, or near record warm winter would occur..

although i dont like it too cold, id sooner have a winter then not...

Posted

The difference here would be the much lower number of air frosts and a slightly lower number of days with snow falling, very disappointing winter, the snowfall not amounting to much or not arriving at all and the overnights in December and January making it very unpleasant.

Posted

Certainly the past season has been one of the least wintery that I can remember with virtually no lying snow and a very limited number of both air and ground frosts. The Atlantic has without doubt ruled the roost and we must hope that it relents if we wish to have anything at all that resembles summer.