Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

March Photo Competition

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind
post-4726-1175209537_thumb.jpgpost-4726-1175209758_thumb.jpg

Thats my last 2.

This months entries are outstanding. Up to now i think JC's Guinness is the one, even though i don't drink, its making me thirsty.......

Russ

Thanks Russ,

I only had this one pint as it was 1pm and I was driving. There is nothing to compare to a good pint of Guinness, slurp!

Like your photo's, that one with the guy with the sidhe is very unusual.

Great quality

Edited by John Cox

Posted
My three entries all come from a weekend spent in Glenfeshie near Aviemore in the Cairngorms. Gorgeous weather and superb scenery - what more could you ask for?

The opportunity to photograph some wonderful birds as well, that's what!

My first, however, is a lovely morning view over Loch an Eilean:

post-2922-1175198723_thumb.jpg

My next is an flight shot of a Snowy Owl:

post-2922-1175199011_thumb.jpg

My final effort is an attempt to pander to the landscape afficianadoes whilst at the same time pandering to my own wildlife bent at the same time:

A true Monarch of the Glen perhaps?

post-2922-1175199200_thumb.jpg

And for those wondering, they were captive bred birds and my holiday was a photographic workshop - I would be very lucky indeed to find a wild Snowy Owl in the Cairngorms!

DS

Edited for spelling

Absolutely Outstanding, have never voted for 2 pictures from the same set but your 1st and 2nd ones are exceptional. Love the owl, bloody poser!!!

Have not even taken 1 photo this month :)

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Quite a photogenic month, March has been. It's been a hard decision but here are my three favourites.

09anviltothewestky2.jpg

Anvil Cloud - Saturday 3rd

26sunriseal3.jpg

Sunrise - Monday 12th

29sunsetol3.jpg

Bright Orange Sunset - Monday 12th

Edited by Michael Prys-Roberts

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
Love the owl, bloody poser!!!

Paul S

Who me or the owl? :doh:

Thanks Paul - I enjoyed taking them and would recommend the trip to anyone

Edited by desperately seeking

Posted

DS - I have to say both your owl photo and the eagle one are not just worth of being in a calendar, they are of national wildlife photo award winning quality. Absolutely awesome, both of them - but especially the owl. Perfect composition, wonderfully sharp, and the owl is looking straight at you. Add the splash of red from its open mouth and it just becomes jaw-dropping. Well done! I take my hat off to you. post-2999-1175368603_thumb.gif :good:

As for doing a photo course, I would wholeheartedly agree that they are worth doing. I won a course in Dorset for coming second in a competition organised by my company for its worldwide offices back in 2001, and that helped give me so much more confidence in my photography. And the courage to quit my job! :lol: I'm glad I didn't win that competition, either. The winner got to fly to New York, business class, and stay in the company apartment. Nice...except that he spent the whole five days he was there photographing the company's Manhattan offices and staff - without getting paid for it! I think they just wanted a photographer on the cheap. :nonono:

Great photos there, too, Michael. But they need shrinking by 50%. I only have some moon shots to post this month. I'll put one or two on here later.

Posted

I'm so sorry DS!

I think I was confused by Louby's post shortly after.

Thankfully you got the jist!

Smich

Posted

OK, three moon shots from the eclipse of March 3/4. All taken slightly later than OON's, hence the different orientation of the moon and stars. These were between midnight and midnight +8, just at the end of the eclipse.

Shot with a tripod-mounted Canon EOS D20 and 100-400L lens using remote shutter release and image stabiliser switched off, ISO 1600 and about 0.5 second exposure. The last one has been cropped in slightly to show the detail, otherwise all as shot.

post-2999-1175381154_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1175381197_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1175381219_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blackie

Posted

Well, i thought it was hard to vote in the February competition, but seeing the shots for March, it is going to be even harder! Your owl shot is amazing DS; just stunning, well done. If you hadnt taken that one, then the eagle shot would be a contender for the winner too. As a lover of sunsets, there are some stunning ones again too, and i love your shots of the eclipse Blackie, very well captured in the different stages.

One of these days i might even take a shot worthy of putting up here. Well done to all for this month - oh as it is after midnight, it's now last month of course!

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Morning everyone

Just wanted to say what a magnificent shot of the Owl , in my eyes that has to be March winner , well done to DS and thankyou for sharing

:nonono::good: :lol:

Nigel

Posted
I'm afraid that I've decided to ban shots of owls.

Sorry.

And that, for me, is the biggest compliment I could ever hope to receive!

Of course, if this is true then I could always try this one (this is not an entry, just me being cheeky - and not a little bit cocky!):

post-2922-1175440490_thumb.jpg

Ailsa the Golden Eagle, from the same workshop as the Snowy Owl (whose name is Aspen).

DS

Posted
I've added this pic to give you some idea of how high the guys were on the turbine.

You have to look quite hard to pick out the mans tiny frame against the massive structure.

ugh, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - cannot stand heights, but a super photograph, and also the sea scape.

Posted

Not too late am I? Didn't really get out to take any interesting shots this month, but since everyone liked my February ones, thought I'd have another go :) And no eclipses or owls here :p Bad news is I think two of them were shot in Staines.

post-7007-1175719816_thumb.jpg

post-7007-1175719866_thumb.jpg

post-7007-1175719974_thumb.jpg

Edited by Often_Will