Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

February CET adjusted

Posted

Officially the Metoffice have reduced their February CET from 6.0c to 5.8c;

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/hadle.../HadCET_act.txt

So not all the winter months had a CET greater then 6.0c. Meaning it wasn't such an exceptional winter as first thought it would be. A scandalous decision for the global warming moungerers.

Still a winter CET 6.43c is very mild but not as mild as 1988/1989 where all the fuss is made.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

The three months with a 6C CET is just a statistical quirk. At the end of the day it was the worse winter I can remember here, with only 9 air frosts and 1 day of lying snow which was a half covering which melted by 11am. Ironically, spring is following in the same manner. No lying snow at 0900 and only a single air frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow
The three months with a 6C CET is just a statistical quirk. At the end of the day it was the worse winter I can remember here, with only 9 air frosts and 1 day of lying snow which was a half covering which melted by 11am. Ironically, spring is following in the same manner. No lying snow at 0900 and only a single air frost.

yes it was a warm winter here too. I had more frosts but a lot less than the previous year.

2006/07 winter - 21 air frosts, season mean - 5.9 (1.8 above 30yr mean)

2005/06 winter - 38 air frosts, season mean - 4.3 (0.2 above 30yr mean)

So not all the winter months had a CET greater then 6.0c. Meaning it wasn't such an exceptional winter as first thought it would be. A scandalous decision for the global warming moungerers.

4th warmest winter ever recorded, from what.. over 300 years of records? Sounds pretty exceptional to me.

And what's with the digs yet again at AGW'ers? Yet more arrogance and rudeness from the GW deniers. Is quite a theme on these forums.

Posted
And what's with the digs yet again at AGW'ers? Yet more arrogance and rudeness from the GW deniers. Is quite a theme on these forums.

Didn't realise it was going to offend the global warming religion and it was aimed at governments that profiteer out of something that potentially will wipe most of us out and don't intend doing anything about it.

I didn't realise there's already a thread going about the small adjustment to February so I suppose this ought to be locked?

Posted

I had half the number of frosts I;d normally expect in Evesham ...

Still a winter CET 6.43c is very mild but not as mild as 1988/1989 where all the fuss is made.

But that's still probably more than I experienced in the Scottish Highlands during the (non) winter of '89 :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
That makes winter 2006-07 the joint 4th warmest winter on record with 1974-75.

it all depends on where you live..in south west england..it was the warmest winter on record...as confirmed by the met office in exeter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Had February not had that cold spell from the 4th-10th, it would probably be the mildest winter month. Edit: here in Bristol.

Edited by Michael Prys-Roberts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Nice thread...for me all this winter has been is a classic El Nino winter. Nothing more nothing less....pure natural. Can someone show me that if we had an El Nino winter in the past it would have been much colder? Mild and wet all the way.

BFTP

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
Nice thread...for me all this winter has been is a classic El Nino winter. Nothing more nothing less....pure natural. Can someone show me that if we had an El Nino winter in the past it would have been much colder? Mild and wet all the way.

BFTP

In a way, i do agree with you, however you must bear in mind that December and January were ruined by rising MEI vlaues to moderate, and as such, i would never of expected them to produce the cold goods, though February admitedly had the cold weak El Nino signal overruled.

Given that this winter recoded 3 of the 4 main teleconection signals for a poor winter, i am not suprised it was so mild, looking back on it.

BFTP

Seem to be getting an awful lot of El Nino winters lately then...

Posted

The last El Nino winter was 2003, before that 1997, so still a normal rate, the main thing is the lack of La Nina, we just seem to stay neutral.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
The last El Nino winter was 2003, before that 1997, so still a normal rate, the main thing is the lack of La Nina, we just seem to stay neutral.

The way the polar front/storm track shifts between La Nina and El Nino years is dramatic. In a El Nino the polar front soars north to the "GIN Corridor" with storms tracking North of Ireland and Scotland and South of Greenland and Norway. Also the cold air is sealed off in the Arctic during a El Nino leaving the UK stuck in boring, toasty Southerlies and Westerlies. In a La Nina the polar front and its storms can dive south to the Mediterranean bringing the cold Northwesterlies and Easterlies to the UK.

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
Officially the Metoffice have reduced their February CET from 6.0c to 5.8c;

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/hadle.../HadCET_act.txt

Well, in the context of whether or not it blows a hole in GW that argument is rather like losing £10 and finding 10p. There's certainly no end to the creativity of one or two on here who find endlessly banal justifications / arguments for the sustained warmth we're experiencing in the UK, and who continue to hang on to the diminishing prospects for a genuinely cold winter hereabouts.

Posted
continue to hang on to the diminishing prospects for a genuinely cold winter hereabouts.

Yes, diminishing indeed, but the likelihood of jam tomorrow is more attractive than the certainty of misery today.

Edited by snowmaiden

• 2 months later...
Posted

I have studied the MEI data and compiled the data and found dome intresting statistics from it...

1991: 1 – Moderate El Nino

1992: 0.8 – Weak El Nino

1993: 1.1 – Moderate El Nino

1994: 0.9 – Weak El Nino

1995: -0.1 - Neutral

1996: -0.2 - Neutral

1997: 2.5 – Strong El Nino

1998: -0.2 - Neutral

1999: -0.7 – Weak La Nina

2000: -0.3 Neutral

2001: 0 - Neutral

2002: 1 – Moderate El Nino

2003: 0.3 - Neutral

2004: 0.6 – Weak El Nino

2005: 0.2 - Neutral

2006: 0.9 – Weak El Nino

As you can see from this, since 1991, we have had one weak La Nina summer, 9 El Nino summers, and seven neutral MEI summers.

Posted

Last winter may have been mild but for me in my little bit of Northants it was actually the smowiest for about 10 years! We had 4 separate periods of snowfall, more than any recent years. OK 2 of them were not that significant and short lived but the the Snow we had in mid february was more than we have had for many a year, about 6 inches of undrifted snow and 12 inches in drifted areas. It hung aroung for a few days too. So for me I would be happy with more winters like last winter, last years cold winter only produced a couple of pathetic snow events, it was cold but also clear and dry.