Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Dan Corbett

Posted

Dan is a fantastic forecaster IMO. Has his own personality, and relates well to many viewers. Certainly in my family, when he comes on they actually sit up and watch the weather!

Rob McElwee is another top class forecaster too.

Posted

Rob McElwee? No no no no. He’s a smug, supercilious little anglophile and really gets on my tits.

Posted

yes it was a funny sketch and he now is added to hall of (in)fame(y) with John Kettley and Ian McCaskill.

He's amusing but no doubt the only reason the BBC signed him up is because he's "funny" and "entertaining". The weather forecast is not supposed to be "funny" or "entertaining", there's plenty of other stuff on TV for that. It's supposed to be informative! Just tell me about what's going to happen, not go rambling on about fairies and spaghetti and lawnmowers and stuff.

No doubt if someone just came on TV and, gasp, told us about the weather, people be "disenfranchised" or some tosh.

More dumbing down of our society.

Grr.

Edited by Magpie

Posted
He's amusing but no doubt the only reason the BBC signed him up is because he's "funny" and "entertaining". The weather forecast is not supposed to be "funny" or "entertaining", there's plenty of other stuff on TV for that. It's supposed to be informative! Just tell me about what's going to happen, not go rambling on about fairies and spaghetti and lawnmowers and stuff.

No doubt if someone just came on TV and, gasp, told us about the weather, people be "disenfranchised" or some tosh.

Grr.

Well he tells us about the weather pretty well...and as much as 'Joe public' needs to know.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Grr.

I'm not happy about the dumbing down of our society either but I hardly think that Dan Corbett talking about bbq's in his forecast can have any bearing on that! After half an hours tedious inane 'news' surely a bit of light-heartedness (after all the weather isnt life and death for most of us!) is rather refreshing, unsurprising really that he has so many fans.

We need more Dan's in the world, it would be a much better place. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Dan is a brilliant forecaster. I love the lighthearted stuff; he still manages to get the message across and also hold the attention of viewers. I'd much rather have the funny quirks than an entirely serious forecast in which my attention is likely to drift to something else. (just like a news 24 forecast the other night, I won't name names but this person rambled on in a lengthy forecast about the night and the following day, nothing else. Most of the time was spent on the pointless guided tour, and because it was a long forecast which only went out to 24 hours, plus was delivered in a monotone voice, I didn't really pay full attention)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Just seen Dans forecast tonight and he described a high pressure as 'like throwing a lump of cement into a stream' :whistling:

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Just seen Dans forecast tonight and he described a high pressure as 'like throwing a lump of cement into a stream' :mellow:

Which goes to show how good he is: he's explained the effects of a high pressure in terms that allow the average viewer to picture it in their mind's eye.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
i think its just me but i much prefer sir rob

Don't get me wrong; I prefer Sir R of McElwee as well. What I can't get is why everyone (well, the guys anyway) raves about Helen W. She's nice, but I must admit my favourite was another Helen - the gorgeous Ms Young. :o What can I say - I like the fuller-figured woman. :o :mellow:

Edited by w0033944

Posted
Don't get me wrong; I prefer Sir R of McElwee as well. What I can't get is why everyone (well, the guys anyway) raves about Helen W. She's nice, but I must admit my favourite was another Helen - the gorgeous Ms Young. :o What can I say - I like the fuller-figured woman. :o :mellow:

lol. bring back bill giles and michael fish i say!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Both Rob McElwee and Tomasz Schafernaker are my faves as they appear to be quite enthusiastic about storms, and Tomasz is the first ever forecaster i have heard to mention 'tornadoes' in a forecast.

Posted

No-one, simply no-one, comes anywhere near Francis Wilson! We are frequently in stitches ... what a legend!

me and Jim plus a few of my more 'interesting' pals follow Matt Taylor with a passion:

If I batted for the other team it would definitely be Jay Wynne for me. If anyone has a sexy voice it's him. Wow!!!!!!

Edited by West is Best

Posted

I think Rob is like your best teacher at school making what could be a dry factual broadcast into something which captures the real beauty of the weather to the layman. Dan can be like that though a little less of the 'speckly showers' or 'heat of the day' for me. Change the record!

Posted

I've been enjoying watching the forecasts on the main evening news being outside broadcasts. Poor old Dan looked very lost Mon & Tues waving his arms about in vain with no map to point to and no screen display off to the right to check his position etc. Bless.

Posted

I like Dan Corbett as he makes watching the weather interesting but what annoys me is that he sometimes go on the right hand size so he in effect blocking the view of some regions(why can't he not stay on the left hand side).

I like Rob aswell but he tends to blabber on a bit and when(for example N Ireland) a region appears his blabber on makes him miss a region or he says very little for example video of Rob presenting the weather on Youtube and he says when its get to N Ireland ''This is your journey to work'' which is poor and blind people will not know what the weather be like(e.g is it going to rain, sunshine etc).

I like Tomasz aswell he looks very interested in doing the weather and seems very excited aswell. Like Supercell pointed he was the forecaster who predicted tornados and he got it spot on so credit where it due. Just ashame that he called the shetland isles 'no mans land' and he got suspended by the beeb because of that comment(is that true?)

I love Helen Willets(anyone know when shes coming back?) presenting the weather as she lits up my morning when she presening on Breakfast much better than Carol should make her a sports presenter so it will make her and Chris love in get ever so closer.

I like most of the presenters in truthness and they are better than the ITV presenters(though i feel Martyn Davis should moved to the beeb as he can be quite a good forecaster) who only give 30 seconds weather revies.

Edit: Yep Shuggee he did looked a bit 'lost'. Obviously not use of an outside weather broadcast it seems.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

Come on GS - Martin Davies has all the personality of a potato. And not even a Maris Piper at that.