Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Dan Corbett

Posted
Come on GS - Martin Davies has all the personality of a potato. And not even a Maris Piper at that.

Maybe his personality is dull but i think he needs a new challange as all he ever does is a 30 sec broadcast for ITV. He should consider moving the next step in his broadcasting IMO either the beeb or Sky news.(and not move him to a channel which still uses symbols). And who knows his personality may change.

Posted

I love Dan Corbett most for his analogies: -

16:25 and 16:32 BBC News 24

Dan's at the desk with Peter Sissons, talking over footage of the latest floods.

Peter: Where's this rain all coming from?

Dan: Er, apart from from the sky? Hehe.

Then we get to see Dan, along with the caption 'Dan Corbett, Weather Presenter'.

You think of the Jet Stream as just a roller-coaster; it goes up in one place, it goes down in another [standard roller-coaster gesture].

These weather systems just come to the British Isles, spin and sit and just stay for days, almost like a guest coming for dinner on Sunday and they're still there by Thursday.

:)

http://kirsty.typepad.com/ttwfn/

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

the only other forecaster that got away with such outrageous comments was Ian McCaskill. Met tried to get him off once he became popular but by then the viewing public and the BBC wanted him so he stayed. Could perhaps be the case with Dan.

Posted
the only other forecaster that got away with such outrageous comments was Ian McCaskill. Met tried to get him off once he became popular but by then the viewing public and the BBC wanted him so he stayed. Could perhaps be the case with Dan.

Hahaaa, Ian McCaskill....thats another legend right there.

Posted

Rob McElwee is a brilliant forecaster.He forecasts the weather and tutors the novice when he is forecasting on air.He describes how a particular event will take place etc in a few short sentences.Straight and to the point.

He be one to get you into meterology by just listening to him just like John Kettley was.

With Dan,looks like a decent fellow but a bit eccentric for my liking.The lunchtime forecasts lately when he is forecasting in your unfortunate floods over there presently,i was waiting to see if a 4x4 was going pass him and create a tsunami and drench him.I wonder how he would react to that. :)

Posted
Rob McElwee is a brilliant forecaster.He forecasts the weather and tutors the novice when he is forecasting on air.He describes how a particular event will take place etc in a few short sentences.Straight and to the point.

He be one to get you into meterology by just listening to him just like John Kettley was.

With Dan,looks like a decent fellow but a bit eccentric for my liking.The lunchtime forecasts lately when he is forecasting in your unfortunate floods over there presently,i was waiting to see if a 4x4 was going pass him and create a tsunami and drench him.I wonder how he would react to that. :)

Pah....John Kettley. Over-rated I reckon, and he has made quite a few gaffs in his time - moreso with his new weather company\organisation.

Dan is your man...nothing more needs to be said. And he's very knowledgable too...don't be fooled by his style.

Posted
I really don't like Dan Corbett, little elf like creature.

I must say I find his mannerisms and constant cliches - especially his sign off - pretty irritating.

He reminds me of a Baptist preacher I used to know.

Much much prefer the drug-filled haze that is Francis Wilson. Somehow weather never seems to matter when Francis is around.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I'd rate Peter Gibbs as the best of a generally good lot.

He has a relaxed, fluent and articulate style and is one of the few forecasters who seems to be able to overcome the ridiculously small air time allocation by getting all the relevant information across without souding like an auctioneer.

T.M

Posted

of the present bunch I agree with you TM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Can I say I think Rob is one of the better ones at presenting along with Peter Gibbs....[i can spell his surname!]. There are quite a few which I dont care for and I think Dan is one of those but no disrespect to him , hes a character and a very knowledgeable one to.... :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
Kaddy Lee Preston without a shadow of a doubt. For obvious reasons.

MMMmmmm Kaddy. I met her a few years back. Got a signed picture which I now house in a small shrine in the garden. :(

Kaddy, if your out there...only 3 more years 'til the restraining order expires! :(

Posted

I gather from the drooling she is an attractive lady?

Do you ever remember anything about the weather after she has done a forecast?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
I gather from the drooling she is an attractive lady?

Do you ever remember anything about the weather after she has done a forecast?

It's tricky but I've got round my conflict of interest by taping all of her broadcasts. This way I can watch them again and again. Over and over 'till my eyes bleed. :unsure: :whistling:

Posted

Ok....let's just remember that the people we're talking about could well read this thread and also that it's the 21st century (with reference to a removed post in case you're wondering what I'm babbling on about).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
I'd rate Peter Gibbs as the best of a generally good lot.

He has a relaxed, fluent and articulate style and is one of the few forecasters who seems to be able to overcome the ridiculously small air time allocation by getting all the relevant information across without souding like an auctioneer.

T.M

I don't watch enough BBC forecasts nowadays to pass judgement but I remember that Peter Gibbs used to do the Countryfile forecasts a lot when I watched them regularly in the early 2000s, and I remember thinking that he did especially well with them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
Peter Gibbs is also excellent on Gardeners' Question Time.

Couldn't agree more, OON. I listen to it every Sunday afternoon at work.

T.M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I'm afraid Danny boy's forecasts leave me totally exhausted and gasping for air! must he speak so fast? The first time I saw him on tv he did (and still does) remind me of Norman Wisdom. With those teeth, he also looks like an escapee from the mad hatters tea-party! No, not my favourite i'm afraid so I think i'll stick with Mr. Gibbs.

Blitzen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

I also like Peter Gibbs, and I'm sad that he's not on the main BBC forecasts now, as he once was. Schaffernaker (sp?) is good also; seems enthusiastic, and I like the fact that, amidst the dull-grey suit-wearers that normally present the forecasts, his sartorial style stands out.

Still no support for the beautiful and much-missed (by me at least) Helen Young, though. a065.gif Looks like I'm a one-man fan club. a062.gif

Posted
Still no support for the beautiful and much-missed (by me at least) Helen Young, though. a065.gif Looks like I'm a one-man fan club. a062.gif

Here is she: -

bbcweather_gr_helenyoung.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Here is she: -

bbcweather_gr_helenyoung.jpg

Thanks, PersianPaladin - oddly enough, that's not the most flattering photos of her in the world!