Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Dan Corbett

Posted
Surprised no-one has mentioned John Hammond - I like him a lot! He comes across really well with a natural style too, and manages to put good emphasis on the main highlights of the forecast without being over animated or gasping for breath. Sir Rob is still a long time favourite - he is the perfect forecaster whenever wintry weather is on the way and he appears to like summer storms too!

Peter Gibbs is a good forecaster as well - he comes across like he knows his stuff and is very concise.

On the female side - I agree that Kaddy is a great forecaster and obviously is a good fun person too! I could see her being a bit hit and very popular (especially with men! :lol: ) if she followed Nick Miller (another previous good SE Beeb weather presenter) and went on to do national broadcasts.

:)

Tamara

John Hammond is both good, but Sir Rob's the best as far as I'm concerned, followed by Philip Avery and Peter Gibbs. I find Dan Corbett's mannerisms so distracting I can't remember the forecast fifteen seconds after it's over.

Kaddy doesn't have full broadcast meteorologist training, so would probably have to go back to MetOffice school before she could move to BBC Weather Centre, if she wanted to.

Posted

Kaddy doesn't have full broadcast meteorologist training, so would probably have to go back to MetOffice school before she could move to BBC Weather Centre, if she wanted to.

her web site would dispute that as she says completed the full Met O training and worked as a forecaster at an RAF station.

If that is true then she is fully qualified as only trained met forecasters do forecasting at RAF stations.

To go on to National weather forecasting, unless its changed, IF she is a fully trained Met O forecaster then a short course at the BBC centre is probably all that is required, called 'in house training'.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

May i ask why did Liam Dutton did not stay at the BBC weather centre for long? Was it something to do with this Met Office qualifications?

Back on topic i think Dan needs a good rest after spending his time in Tweksbury and i wonder why people critisixe him. He makes the weather fun to watch and most importantly he use humerous examples in what is going on e.g Its like i gone mad with my crayons or splashing the map with blue paint. I don't think its dumbing down because at the end of the day most people who watches the weather are not even amatur level so i think his catchy phrases helps people(helps me)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yes he's done fairly well this week. Even managed to look quite upset when forecasting rain for the flood hit areas.

One thing I don't like is forecasters out on site. I feel sometimes they miss out on latest developments and end up talking a load of nonesense. Reminds me of Louise Lear saying a dry day when the Net Weather Radar showed plenty of rain about. Since she was out on site she'd probably didn't have the latest information and was using a much earlier script.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
Still no support for the beautiful and much-missed (by me at least) Helen Young, though. a065.gif Looks like I'm a one-man fan club. a062.gif

Support from me, w0033944, Helen was/is an excellent forecaster. I met her once as part of an interview I did for a programme on Radio 4 and in 'real life' she's a lovely person, very easy to talk to and completely down to earth.

The BBC dress code would never do anyone justice photogenically, in casual clothes Helen is 100 times better looking that the photograph above would suggest; not that it has anything at all to do with her forecasting ability.

T.M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Support from me, w0033944, Helen was/is an excellent forecaster. I met her once as part of an interview I did for a programme on Radio 4 and in 'real life' she's a lovely person, very easy to talk to and completely down to earth.

The BBC dress code would never do anyone justice photogenically, in casual clothes Helen is 100 times better looking that the photograph above would suggest; not that it has anything at all to do with her forecasting ability.

T.M

I'm not alone! :( She always came across on TV as being very personable and friendly, so it's nice to hear that she actually is that way. I always thought that she managed to make the BBC in-house style look better than most because she didn't try to 'glam-up' as some did with trowel-fulls of make-up, in much the same way that Fiona Bruce always looks by far the most attractive of the main Beeb newscasters in my opinion. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Dan Corbett is fantastic, he is the best forecaster around. "Thats the weather......(points)......for now, he always mentions a picnic. And the funniest phrase I have ever heard from him which had me in stitches was "If your taking your granny out for a walk in the park make sure she has a blanket to keep her legs warm" Absolutely amazing man.

Kaddy is also fantastic :D

Posted
I met her once as part of an interview I did for a programme on Radio 4 and in 'real life' she's a lovely person, very easy to talk to and completely down to earth.

You're either John Humphrys or Sue MacGregor, and I can't decide which.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
May i ask why did Liam Dutton did not stay at the BBC weather centre for long? Was it something to do with this Met Office qualifications?

Yes - but Liam will be back very soon (within weeks!)

• 1 year later...
Posted
I have to admit, that amongst a seeming multitude of generic and rather boring weather presenters across the various channels - Dan Corbett stands out as a character. You know that it is going to be unique when he appears on the screen, grinning, and ready to leap into action. It is not only his enthusiasm which makes him a very likeable character in my view; but his amusing asides and suggestions that he makes throughout his forecasts (he apparently described a band of cloud over northern england as a "shawl over the shoulders of a mourning widow"). His asides and banter are more notable when he is on the radio.

I think the forecasting world needs more Dan-Corbetts...and the brilliant 'Corbettisms' that come with them.

Check out some of his forecasts: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnN-c7UgsZw

He even has his own fan-blog: -

http://kirsty.typepad.com/ttwfn/

Feel free to post any more of his quotes in this thread. Because they just tickle me (although I understand he is a bit like marmite - you either love him or hate him apparently).

Another classic from 'our man Dan' on News 24.

To paraphrase, on Sunday evening there is a band of rain over Ireland attached to a band of rain over Scotland moving South 'like a 2-legged Octopus'

Another Dan Corbett Classic

regards

gobbyash :)

Posted

he certainlly makes it interesting but i find him alittle OTT at times, shame because he can be quiet funny with some of his phrases.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it

Dan Corbett.....the man, the legend. Yesterday a cold front was described as a 'blue layer of treacle'. The Milton of our times.

Rob Mcelwee almost ties though; i love the way he has a big smile all over his face when anything cold, snowy or stormy happens. A marvellous contrast to the rest of the sorry bunch who become apologetic whenever the weather isn't bloody mild. I probably should get out more often i suppose.........

Edited by Sleet30031972

Posted

Personally i think Dan Corbett is fantastic. He brings to the weather what no other forecaster does or can. And even though he uses these mannerisms/catchphrases it doesnt detract from the forecast. He's just so different and animated whearas other presenters seem to be just going throught the motions.

-Looks like ive gone mad with the crayons

-Like ive gone mad with the paint

-Will you LOOK at these finishing temps?!

-Like throwing a blanket over the Uk-ZHMMMM!

He's just crazy!

Even though he might be distracting to pro weather forecasters, to the wider, general public he paints a picture in the mind that helps to undertand the weather eg the location of high preesure over the UK/How it travels off into the sea etc

In short-He's a legend!

Posted

I love Dan! Although he's quirky, he still knows his stuff, as does Rob. I really like it when Rob finishes his forecasts with a cliffhanger......'or will it?' Makes me laugh every time. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Another classic from 'our man Dan' on News 24.

To paraphrase, on Sunday evening there is a band of rain over Ireland attached to a band of rain over Scotland moving South 'like a 2-legged Octopus'

Another Dan Corbett Classic

regards

gobbyash :)

I saw that...it was cringeworthy :)

Although nobody beats cold ramper Rob!

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Can't bear him, what a toff I bet he got beaten up loads at school. I mean he's asking for a nosebleed.

"Time for the umbrella this afternoon I should think! Looks like a swimming pool I'm afraid, like I've gone mad with the blue crayon!"

Edited by Yeti

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Earlier on I was watching the 6 o clock news and he went... "Look at that cloud just moving away south west, blue skies coming through in the Midlands, like someone opening the curtains :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Earlier on I was watching the 6 o clock news and he went... "Look at that cloud just moving away south west, blue skies coming through in the Midlands, like someone opening the curtains :D

Saw that as well! :D

Where does he get these bizzare, totally irrelevent comparisons from?! At least he has a bit of character though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Saw that as well! :D

Where does he get these bizzare, totally irrelevent comparisons from?! At least he has a bit of character though!

No idea but I think hes great :D Sure some people may think he comes out with crazy phrases but it adds a bit if humour to the weather, better than a boring forecast like "Rain for some, moving away, blue skies for the Midlands thereafter" *Weather finishes* lol.

Posted
LMAO!!! Classic weather blooper here, look at Joanna Goslings face when he says "Like a tablecloth being thrown over a table"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G3FwLD3ceqc

The cloud does have a few holes in it like a piece of swiss cheese!

:D:D:D:D lmao what an idiot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I hadnt noticed this little 'gem' of a thread......

Without any doubt, Dan's the man...the 'Sid Waddell' of TV weather forecasting...lol