Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK Mountain Snow/Weather 2008

kippure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

41 snow patches made it through in the Highlands in 2000/1 and I think only two the following year. One, the most reliable Garbh Coire Mor on Braeriach survived through in 2004/5.

There were only a handful of years in the twentieth century that none survived.

Posted

Yes 2001 was a good year, most years some does survive, usually in Garbh Coire Mor in the Cairngorms which im think im right in saying has only not survived a handfull of times in the last 30 years. The patches on Ben Nevis do seem to be much larger and prolific this year, there are still several patches surviving. Its usually not until mid October or Early November that the furst sustaining snowfalls come so we will have to wait a while before we can say they have survived, unless there is an unseasonally early dump followed by sustained cold weather.

In general the Cairngorms patches are the most likely to survive due to their more easterly possition and lower humidity and rainfall. The Ben Nevis patches do survive fairly frequently too but have become more marginal in recent decades, there are still at least 3 or 4 patches at leat on Ben Nevis and also patches on Aonach Mor and Aonach Beag.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

No surprises to see a covering on the Cairngorm cam at the moment - left my work at 5 today and there was a significant chill wind and temperature of only 8°

http://www.cairngormmountain.com/cams/image2.jpg

[/quote

Yes, came through Glenshee at teatime in a snow shower (2000ft, temp 2C). Covering on Cairngorms above 3500 ft. Not that unusual, but a bit earlier than the past few years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.
time to dust down the winter climbing gear!! :D

cairngorm webcam showing snow.

hi dc, welcome to the forum. :)

do you have a link?

Posted

Hi dodgy crampon - welcome to posting on nw :D

Moved your post into here as there's already been some discussion about this - and SF10 - see two posts up! And for more webcams see the pinned threads at the top of THIS PAGE.

Posted
Could well see more high elevation snowfall mid-week next week as another northerly plunge comes down so keep an eye on those webcams again.

Its looking good at the moment for some snow , quite a covering in places in this northerly :doh:

For all you snow lovers!

Nevis Range today to do a survey on any remaining patches. Ben Nevis, Aonach Mor and Aonach Beag all holding patches in excess of 25m long. The Aonach Beag one is particularly impressive as it is still over 10 feet deep at the eastern side. Not bad for a patch that sits at only 3100 feet (which is lower than Scaffell in the lake district).

post-7268-1191189226_thumb.jpg

post-7268-1191189249_thumb.jpg

post-7268-1191189263_thumb.jpg

post-7268-1191189275_thumb.jpg

Posted
For all you snow lovers!

Nevis Range today to do a survey on any remaining patches. Ben Nevis, Aonach Mor and Aonach Beag all holding patches in excess of 25m long. The Aonach Beag one is particularly impressive as it is still over 10 feet deep at the eastern side. Not bad for a patch that sits at only 3100 feet (which is lower than Scaffell in the lake district).

Great picks and report - keep 'em coming! This next month or so is the crucial time I think.

Edit: the pictures are Aonach Beag? But the first patch from a distance looks to be a different shape to the three close ups?

Edited by Devonian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

So far the snow patch survival looks the best for some time, but with plenty of warm weather likely in the first half of October, those patches are going to diminish some more yet.

Posted
Edit: the pictures are Aonach Beag? But the first patch from a distance looks to be a different shape to the three close ups?

I think the 1st picture is of a smaller patch in one of the gullies on Ben Nevis?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
Need to send someone up with a rake to clean the surface, then get some turns in on some sweet spring snow! :):)

Any news on the patchs. This recent mild spell must have put a dent in them?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
Any news on the patchs. This recent mild spell must have put a dent in them?

The Winter Highland discussion shows they were still around on the 8th, at least on Braeriach and Aonach Mohr and I suspect elsewhere in the Nevis range in particular. It was very warm up here today however [18.4c in my garden] and this will have continued the thaw. Not that long now to go now though.

This recent mild spell will have put a dent in the patches, but I'm not sure how much will have been lost.

My gut feeling is that they will all still be there, and the cool weather that's forecast will help - as will the longer nights.

I'm guessing here, but I'm fairly sure that Aonach Mor, Aonach Beag, Ben Nevis and Garbh Coire in the Cairngorms will all still be holding snow.

I'm doing a survey on the 25th October, and will report back. Who knows, by then they could be buried under 5 feet of new snow!!

Posted

I will be heading into the mountains for the first time Since march at the end of October/start of November. Doubt i'll be going to those snow patches, but hopefuly by then there will be some snow ;)

As for the recent weather effecting the patches, i don't think it will have too much... remember they have survived a very wet summer so far so they are doing well!

Posted

a very light dusting of snow up on the cairngorms this morning and a nice frost,

the snow patches are looking slim on garbh coire mor mind, will try and get some photos up but im not great at this computer thing!!

with warm temps comeing in this week not too sure how they will fair!

but im sure the november snows will come, and i hope they will survive!

any news on the aonach mor/beag ones?

steve

Posted

A photo from a couple of days ago of Aonach Mor which was posted on Winterhighland, showing it's snow patching hanging in there with a dusting of fresh on the tops. Its about 600k.

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2593

Some more pics and discussion about snow patches from winter 2007 that are still holding out in the Winterhighland forum at http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read....2,76649,page=10 .

Just need that FI blizzards to move from T+300 to T+6hrs !

Posted
A photo from a couple of days ago of Aonach Mor which was posted on Winterhighland, showing it's snow patching hanging in there with a dusting of fresh on the tops. Its about 600k.

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2593

Some more pics and discussion about snow patches from winter 2007 that are still holding out in the Winterhighland forum at http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read....2,76649,page=10 .

Just need that FI blizzards to move from T+300 to T+6hrs !

I wonder if it's possible to give a grid references for these various snow patches? I've got OS maps but I'm finding it difficult to figure out where patches are from pictures alone..