Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Hi all,

Thought it might be interesing to open this topic for all our interested Euro watchers. Like the British Isles, much of continental Europe has been recording some amazing April warmth following the sequence of above average monthly temperatures. For instance today , parts of Northern Germany and Belgium have recorded 27C plus. Denmark 25/26C. A bit cooler here in Austria around 21 C, still not bad going for Mid-Late Spring with the snowline moving rapidly towards 2500m. Much of France has had unseasonable warmth for the past 4 weeks.

C

Posted

If anything the Continent has been much warmer than the UK. Do the high temperatures cause problems with melting snow in the Alps?

Posted
they will do at this rate

Hi John,

Only snow patches at 2000m in the Tauren at the moment. Looking at Gross Glockner this afternoon in the warm sunshine, snow level has gone up the start of the glaciers. Weekend forecasts of 24C for much of Austria, but the heat in Germany is making the news here.

Best Regards,

C

Posted

Morning all,

Another very warm day forecast for the heart of Europe. Amazing spread of +21C temperatures today across much of the continent. Hot spots again likely in parts of Germany and into Poland. Very little of movement of the air mass at the moment, creating a very hazy atmosphere at lower levels.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Morning all,

Another very warm day forecast for the heart of Europe. Amazing spread of +21C temperatures today across much of the continent. Hot spots again likely in parts of Germany and into Poland. Very little of movement of the air mass at the moment, creating a very hazy atmosphere at lower levels.

C

In 2003 the ground in France became so 'warm' (and expanded) that the foundations of their nuclear plants started to expand making the plants unsafe to operate. I wonder if continued heating this early will enable the 'warmth' to get to greater depths later leading to similar problems with roads/buildings?

Posted
Morning all,

C

Afternoon,

Again temperatures around 27C throughout Central Germany and into Belguim. The odd report of 29 C reached in this location. Here in Austria, not as warm but still 21C plus widely. Very dry conditions in Upper Austria and the NE regions continue with a mod/high Forest Fire alert.

C

Posted
In 2003 the ground in France became so 'warm' (and expanded) that the foundations of their nuclear plants started to expand making the plants unsafe to operate. I wonder if continued heating this early will enable the 'warmth' to get to greater depths later leading to similar problems with roads/buildings?

Nope. They also have such buildings in the middle-east.

Posted
Afternoon,

Again temperatures around 27C throughout Central Germany and into Belguim. The odd report of 29 C reached in this location. Here in Austria, not as warm but still 21C plus widely. Very dry conditions in Upper Austria and the NE regions continue with a mod/high Forest Fire alert.

C

Hi,

Much cooler airmass now pushing into Germany,(even negative dew point readings in the North ). Has reached 27C in Graz and 26C in Klagenfurt this afternoon. Very dry condition prevail.

C

Posted

Its been very warm in Europe, tohugh worth noting that so far the warmest anomaly for Europe in April has been focused over central-North France and also the south of England, though over the last week that warmth has spread to central parts of Europe as well, very warm in Germany and Poland this week.

Posted

How's it looking down in the med? i'm heading out on the 15th and it doesn't seem to be too warm down in the balearics for this time of year?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
How's it looking down in the med? i'm heading out on the 15th and it doesn't seem to be too warm down in the balearics for this time of year?

Very true, the med has been very disappointing for weeks with an obundance of cloud, showers and fresh/strong winds. Temperatures as a result are pegged back to average or just below.

Mammatus B)

Posted

Hi,

A good example of The Fohn effect this afternoon in the French/ Italian Alpine border regions of the Aosta and Savoie. Marked rise in temperatures on the lee side of the mountain range. Moist winds from the Bay Of Biscay deposit rain in the Central Massif and the Jura with warmer drier air being sucked down the other side of the Alps. Temps up to 80F in the Aosta region this afternoon-high 70s in the Haute Savoie Alps and only 60F in Jura region.

C

Posted

Hi,

A hot day today in the Austria. Very humid as well with temperatures widely into the 80s. That active cold front over the Western Alps could well produce a few sparks later.

C

Posted
Hi,

A hot day today in the Austria. Very humid as well with temperatures widely into the 80s. That active cold front over the Western Alps could well produce a few sparks later.

C

Afternoon all,

What a change in 2 days. Current temperature 0.9C with sleet. Snow lying at 1850m.

C

Posted
Afternoon all,

What a change in 2 days. Current temperature 0.9C with sleet. Snow lying at 1850m.

C

All change again. Hottest day of the year in Austria today, 30C in Innsbruck. Generally around 26C. Thunderstorms forecast for Tuesday and warm up again on Thursday with temperatures up to 29 C.

C

Posted
All change again. Hottest day of the year in Austria today, 30C in Innsbruck. Generally around 26C. Thunderstorms forecast for Tuesday and warm up again on Thursday with temperatures up to 29 C.

C

Very sulty today. No wind. Temperatures up to 30C in the SE of Austria. Warmest day of the year so far up in Katschberg with todays max of 14C.

C

Posted

Is this lovely heat set to last into the weekend? I am going to leipzig this weekend and would like to know what to pack. I have looked at Wetter.de and yahoo weather etc. Some sites say it will stay sunny all weekend and others say there will be rain/storms on Saturday and Sunday. If anyone can advise I would be grateful (as would be my suitcase) :drinks: Prost

Posted
Is this lovely heat set to last into the weekend? I am going to leipzig this weekend and would like to know what to pack. I have looked at Wetter.de and yahoo weather etc. Some sites say it will stay sunny all weekend and others say there will be rain/storms on Saturday and Sunday. If anyone can advise I would be grateful (as would be my suitcase) :wallbash: Prost

Hi CattleBat,

Experience shows that although there is inevitably likely to be some marginal mixings of the air masses over Europe this weekend, I think in Eastern Germany the tropical continental air mass will be retained with the displacement of the warm air to be further west.

C

Posted

Thank you for your advice carinthian. I will pack some lovely summer clothes (and an umbrella just in case).

Posted

New heat records were registered throughout Lithuania this week as more hot weather and thunder showers are forecast for the weekend.

On Tuesday, the nation’s highs were 27 - 30 degrees Celsius, exceeding the temperature records for that day in as many as 15 meteorology stations, the Lithuanian Hydrometeorology Service reported Thursday. Temperatures were just 0.1 degree shy of the all-time May 22 high registered in Kaunas in 1937.

The hot weather will alternate with short periods of rain and thunder in Lithuania over the next few days.

http://www.baltictimes.com/news/articles/17949/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Either I'm totaly isolated from the news these days or we've not been hearing an awful lot about the European heat here in the UK. I can see from the GFS that the East of europe has been hot for a while yet and it's set to continue. I wonder when it will become 'newsworthy'?