Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heavy Wind Question.

Posted

Im one of these "Power Kite" flyers & kitesurfers you see at the seaside with a Kite Buggy or out on the water with a big kite surfing.

Ive been doing this sport for about 9 years now and have noticed a difference in Wind "power" depending on the time of year and the rest of the weather .

Let me explain.

In winter when its damp and cold with zonal south westerlys brining fronts in off the atlantic the "power" developed by my 5 meter size kite is way more than if i had been flying the same size kite in the summer on a dry summers day in exactly the same winds.

Is anyone on here able to explain why this is happening, is it something to do with moisture in the atmosphere thats present on a damp day?

When i say damp, i dont mean the day would be raining or even enough moisture in the air to make the kite wet while flying.

If anyone has an answer i would love to know why.

Thanks.

Posted

Just a theory, but I'm guessing the air would have more 'weight' when it has a higher moisture content, so I imagine it would provide more power for the kit surfing?

Ps - is kite surfing/buggying as fun as it looks?!

Posted

Cheers For the reply Paul......

Any ideas where i could get some more info from, i would be very interested if anyone has any data.

....and yep, it really is that much fun :bad: try it, i highly recommend it :) next itme you see someone with a power kite down the beach or in your local park go ask for a try,

you will be off to the shop buying one after !!