Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

0mm of rain in a month

PB22

Posted

Has anyone ever recorded no rainfall whatsoever in a month?

To date, I've not. But after looking at the latest models, it looks like that April 2007 could be first ever month in which I receive no rainfall whatsoever! Amazing stuff, and also rather worrying for the summer ahead, if you are trying to maintain a golf course or garden.

Is anyone else still sitting on 0mm for this month?

Posted

I had my first rain a couple of days ago and this morning as that band of showers came up. I think i didn't have any rain last june or if i did it must have come at night than dryed.

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

Had a little bit of rain here at the start of the week but not enough to make an impression on the ground. Everywhere is still very dry and dustly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

5mm here and hardly any during late March either! Very dry indeed...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I've recorded 18.5mm so far this month which is very dry for here but not in the same league as some of the values quoted above.

The driest month I've recorded in the last 44 years was Sept' 1986 with 8.2mm. Sept' 1959 would definitely have been drier than that, probably around 2mm, but I didn't have a station then; even the wettest parts of the Peak District recorded only 4 to 7 mm that month.

T.M

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Still dry overall here but 4mm fell this morning taking the total to 7.2mm this month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Ive had 35.2mm but that is short of the expected. quite a difference from last december when i had 215mm. Total for the year so far is 314.2mm

Edited by Red Raven

Nearest local amateur weather station shows 0.3mm rainfall for Canterbury this month. Amazing..

Well, i live in Ramsgate on the Isle Of Thanet (sure you know it) (dont judge me im not a criminal or a londoner) :bad:

Ive had 00.00mm of rain so far this month - one drip or so but nothing landed in measuring tube, and it wouldnt have made a difference if it did so there is nothing to report - i appear to be the only one - on TWO there is me and one other in Folkstone free of rain so far this month :)

Posted
Well, i live in Ramsgate on the Isle Of Thanet (sure you know it) (dont judge me im not a criminal or a londoner) :bad:

Ive had 00.00mm of rain so far this month - one drip or so but nothing landed in measuring tube, and it wouldnt have made a difference if it did so there is nothing to report - i appear to be the only one - on TWO there is me and one other in Folkstone free of rain so far this month :)

Don't worry, your not alone. I'm part of this special club! I hope it doesn't rain now, as now I am this close to a 0mm month, I want to achieve it!

Posted

IOW weather, the nearest, in spite of being in a forrin country, shows 0.6mm; I'd estimate that we've had about 0.4mm this month. I've been watering the garden since the begininning of the month (but you don't want to hear about my little peccadilloes).

:)P

Seems like we're not the only ones with problems, though: according to this, the Netherlands has had no recorded rain since the end of March.

I'm really sharing it because the last paragraph might give some of you hope...

Edited by parmenides3

Posted

oops! slipped through the edit deadline:

Seems like we're not the only ones with problems, though: according to this, the Netherlands has had no recorded rain since the end of March.

I'm really sharing it because the last paragraph might give some of you hope...

In the Netherlands, the KNMI weather institute said this month had already broken records as the warmest, driest and sunniest April and noted global warming was one of the reasons.

The Netherlands has not had rain since March 22 and April is set to be the driest in at least 100 years. Farmers have started pumping water from canals and rivers to irrigate their crops.

Germany has also recorded the highest April average temperature at 12 degrees, and the most hours of sunshine at more than 276, since records began in 1901, according to preliminary estimates by the German Weather Service (DWD).

The lack of rainfall prompted several German states to issue warnings about the risk of forest fires which have hit neighbours Switzerland and Austria.

Drought has hit Hungary's key grain regions and may severely reduce grain and oilseed crops, leading trading firm Agrograin said. "In mid-April the average temperature was 5-6 degrees Celsius higher than usual," said meteorologist Gyorgy Gyuro.

Italy's river Po, which waters the region accounting for one-third of the country's agricultural production, fell on Sunday to 6.53 metres (21 ft 5 in) below its normal level at one control point, having fallen 80 centimetres in a week.

The Met Office said there was a one in eight chance of temperatures in the three summer months -- July, August and September -- repeating the 2003 and 2006 heatwaves.

"In meteorological terms that is really quite a high probability," a spokesman said.

On Friday, Department of the Environment warned of summer smog at the weekend with high ozone levels endangering the ill and elderly. But in contrast to 2006, Britain was at least not facing a drought after a mild and very wet winter.

In Germany, one newspaper said soaring temperatures could inflame libidos.

"Skirts are getting shorter and there is more bare flesh flashing," Germany's biggest selling newspaper, Bild, wrote, warning Germans to keep a close eye on their partners.

"The heat excites the sex hormones much more strongly, disturbs the sleep and stimulates lust."

Courtesy of Reuters/Yahoo news

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

No rain during April for my particular corner of Suffolk. We've been watering our garden for 3 weeks now. Our (natural) pond is as low as it was at the beginning of July 2006. Have no idea where all the rain from the winter has gone. Cracks appearing in the back lawn and top paddocks. The hay meadow has just a hint of new green but with no growing grass I have no idea when we can expect to harvest for hay. Normally it would be about 8-12 inches high by now and we could start thinking about harvesting anytime from end May. We need rain asap and are getting more and more concerned as the month progresses.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Well I hadn't seen a drop of rain since 28th March, until Wednesday, when a small, sharp shower dropped 1.2mm, but that ofcourse evaporated off in no time at all, still, got that lovely earth smell afterwards. Digging the garden yesterday, it was bone dry down 4 inches or so, and its heavy clay here. Been watering the greens on the golfcourse everyday for the last 3 weeks, the ponds are already as low as they are in July, if this is to keep up for a bit longer, this summer looks like further hosepipe bans for sure.

ET this month - 72.4mm Rainfall total this month- 1.2mm

ET this year - 184.1mm Rainfall total this year - 144.8mm

There figures are calculated by my Davis vantage Pro 2, im not sure how much trust to put into it. However, according to this this month is well down, almost 3 inches, good job we had a very wet start to the year! Still, a deficit for when we should be having alot more rain than evapotranspiration, it's only natural.

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted

Only 2.5mm here in Peterborough according to the official RAF Wittering weather station.

Now if this was either June, July, August this wouldn't be that unusual for this part of the country but for April it is astonishing.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted
How are the lawns looking in these areas then? My lawn is as lush as green as it's ever been.

My lawn seems to be fine at the moment - the recent rain has meant all the weeds have shot up! LOL