Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Nature notes

Posted

Hi

I have noticed a lack of swifts this year - every year up to now, we have had flocks of them (Bromley) screaming over our house, doing their crazy aerobatics, but this year, I have seen very few.

Posted
So who's going to do the googling to fins out what info there is? I'm busy... :mellow:

:)P

Lol - I will have a quick look on the BBC nature watch !!

It says the results re Swifts are still being collated/coming in - but the link is below - quite interesting all round really ..

http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk/NR/rdonl...fullresults.pdf

Edited by Angel15

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

I'm not so sure I have seen less swifts this year than normal but I haven't seen one for nearly two weeks now which to me is a sure sign Summer* is now over. They are usually the last to arrive and the first to leave with most gone by mid August.

*(Summer? What Summer!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
I'm not so sure I have seen less swifts this year than normal but I haven't seen one for nearly two weeks now which to me is a sure sign Summer* is now over. They are usually the last to arrive and the first to leave with most gone by mid August.

*(Summer? What Summer!)

I don't know why it should be either. Saw plenty feeding at height but not much of them blasting through the buildings in town. It marks high summers end to me also...ah well at least I have my Tawny Owl baby and Bats to keep me going!

I'd found 2 dead moles on the lawn within 6 day's of each other and couldn't figure how/why they should have come to be there.One of Lukes carers clued me up as to what was happening. Moles are the worst tasting critter out there (which is why they aren't on any other critters 'dinner' menu. Of course baby owls don't know this and seeing as, for an owl, they're an easy catch our baby must've tried them......and rejected them.

Both corpses are in kysts awaiting Jamies attentions when de-fleshed (can we glue the bones together Papa?) Ho, hum.