Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Day 7 Reports & Pictures

Paul Sherman

Posted

Hi guys we bagged an amazing WEDGE TORNADO Today, it was rain wrapped but the picture from Nathan shows it really well, this was 15 miles South West of Medicine Lodge in Kansas, the chase was quite hairy to say the least.

We started out in Ellsworth and made our way down Highway 281, just west of Greensburg, the devastation near there is amazing, we saw everything destroyed by the F5 Tornado, Stewart has some amazing photos.

We headed west into Medicine Lodge and intercepted an embedded Supercell moving across the Oklahoma and Kansas border, we took mud roads and at times was fighting to keep the car on the road, we crested the top of the hill and saw rain wrapping around a Meso, I then spotted the wedge tornado coming out of the rain and turned abruptly, as i tried to head east I nearly ditched the car off the road, the guys are calling me Colin Mcrae now :whistling: Leaves were floating down around us from the circulation, as we hit the tarmac again an Intense Hail core was chasing us. We then stairstepped the squall line down to Oklahoma and watched amazing gust fronts from each individual cell, then shot lightning and now in the Best Western in Weatherford (Ok)

post-24-1178513731_thumb.jpg - Our Position with the Meso just South West of Medicine Lodge (Ks)

post-24-1178513788_thumb.jpg - Gust Front from the Squall Line

post-24-1178513821_thumb.jpg - Whales Mouth on the Gust Front on the 820 mile Squall Line!

post-24-1178513868_thumb.jpg - Moody Skies in Oklahoma

post-24-1178513898_thumb.jpg - Kansas Dirt Tracks Killing our Car!

post-24-1178513930_thumb.jpg - Near Weatherford Oklahoma

Wedge picture and Tornado Damage from Stewart & Nathan to follow

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Here's a screengrab from the brief video I have waving the camera blindly behind us out of the car window as we were slip-sliding our way through proper Kansas mud roads with a hail core on our tail. Very lucky to even get what I have :whistling: I should get some more lightning shots up later hopefully.

post-1731-1178515378_thumb.jpg

Posted

Some serious damage photos from just outside Greensburg. Some of these shots are quite graphic and show the devastation a tornado can cause.

post-7065-1178516587_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1178516624_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1178516639_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1178516660_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1178516698_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1178516718_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1178516734_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1178516754_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1178516804_thumb.jpg

post-7065-1178516841_thumb.jpg

Posted

Yep looks good to me Paul well done and no doubt you were ducking and diving that blinding blinking rain too :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

This was our Location and view for those interested, just to prove how far into the I have a problem end of nowhere we managed to get ourselves....

post-1731-1178517016_thumb.jpg

And the SPC report submitted by somebody else which matches what we saw.

2127 15 SSW MEDICINE LODGE BARBER KS 3709 9868 LARGE TORNADO INITIALLY RAIN WRAPPED. (DDC)

Currently watching an absolutley amazing lightning show in Weatherford, OK. CG's crashing all around us with the loudest thunder I have ever heard!

Posted

Some great pice there guys. Looks like your getting to see what you all went for.

Posted

Fantastic job, we used to consider coming in off the golf course in Ontario when the skies looked like that mammatus all quads (wish I was kidding).

I experienced one supercell passage in the middle of the night while living in Ontario (Jul 95) and had 20 mins of continuous thunder and lightning with 100 mph wind gusts from a cell that also produced an F2 tornado, at 0300 local time.

As you say, it is quite remarkable to experience this continuous thunder and a night-time severe thunderstorm, not to mention that you have much less idea without a live radar (this was before we were connected to the internet) what is actually happening at such an ungodly hour.

Will post some ideas about tomorrow in a while, stay safe.

Posted

thanks for relaying al this info guy's it makes for amazing reading ....it must be one hell of a rush chasing these monsters around the wide open spaces of America

hopefully one day I can go chasing to...stay safe all :clap:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Still some awesome thunderstorms rolling through here in Weatherford SW Oklahoma, some very close cloud - ground lightning landing nearby outside our hotel rooms and intense rainfall, and it's 1.48am in the morning after many hours of constant storms along a long squall line running NNE through Wern OK, and a long rewarding day after bagging our wedge tornado and we're still not tired of seeing storms so late in the night. Expect some great cg lightning shots from us later today.

Posted

Front is moving very slowly east and forming a wave close to team's current location. Very heavy rainfalls likely between there and OKC overnight. By Monday morning (central time) this complex should be around OKC to just west of DFW, with potential for massive redevelopment in parts of east-central OK and north central TX tomorrow mid-day. In fact this complex may just keep firing all night and remain severe even in the usually quieter morning hours, given some timing of energy peaks around 16z ... would suggest finding a safe way through to a position ahead of the slow-moving storm complex probably towards an area north of DFW for best chase opportunities tomorrow afternoon, although Oklahoma might prove good enough. Placing the max risk from 25 miles NW of Fort Worth to 50 miles southeast OKC by 18z to 21z.

In the meantime there is every possibility Oklahoma City could get severely whacked by this front around 0400-0600 local time ... tornadoes have been known to form at this rather unusual time of day, so remain vigilant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Good quality pictures and reporting there, glad you are all enjoying the weather :clap: .

Stay safe.

Russ

Posted

Great stories, mother nature really has been going flatout to impress you guys this year, looks like this year will be up there with some of the more severe tornado season if this keeps up.

Posted

Heres 2 from about 60 i have got from tonight, these storms have been trailing for about 5 hours now, 7 1/2 inches of rain so far!!

post-24-1178525961_thumb.jpg

post-24-1178525989_thumb.jpg

At one point on my video we have 4 simoultanious Lightning strikes at once.

Paul S

Posted

Stunning cloud formations there, guys. And well done on capturing the wedge tornado. :clap: That must have been an incredible sight - and frightening too, given the destruction caused by the one that hit Greensburg on Friday.

Looking forward to seeing lots more photos and reading your reports. Stay safe.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Amazimg photo's of the storms, really sad to see those two people seemingly trying to find personal items amongst the wreckage of what was once their home. post-7065-1178516754_thumb.jpg.....Truely looks like an atomic bomb had been dropped...

Stay safe , i'm sure you lot with Paul 'Mcrae' Sherman at the helm..

Posted
We headed west into Medicine Lodge and intercepted an embedded Supercell moving across the Oklahoma and Kansas border, we took mud roads and at times was fighting to keep the car on the road, we crested the top of the hill and saw rain wrapping around a Meso, I then spotted the wedge tornado coming out of the rain and turned abruptly, as i tried to head east I nearly ditched the car off the road, the guys are calling me Colin Mcrae now :unknw: Leaves were floating down around us from the circulation, as we hit the tarmac again an Intense Hail core was chasing us. We then stairstepped the squall line down to Oklahoma and watched amazing gust fronts from each individual cell, then shot lightning and now in the Best Western in Weatherford (Ok)

N0t sure if that petrified me f0r Iife 0r made me want t0 g0 aII the m0re! :blink: :wacko: :blink:

Nice 0ne!

Posted

Super photos there. I know I'll probably be slapped for saying this but did I spot free steak??

The photos show that this sort of weather has no respect for anything. I wonder what the cost to livestock is and the wildlife too? Sitting here I can only imagine what it feels like to experience the situation.