Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The contrasting start to Mays 1979 and 1990

Posted

The first week of May 1979 was one of the coldest starts to May of the 20th century. A very cold arctic flow flooded the UK during the last day of April and this brought showers of hail and snow to many areas and extensive air frosts. Maxima were well below average for May often in single figures. There was a slow warm up but it wasn't until the 11th of May that the real warm up reached the far north of Scotland.

Rrea00219790502.gif

Rrea00119790502.gif

By contrast, the first week of May 1990 was the hottest start to May during the 20th Century. With high pressure nearby and under brilliant sunshine, temperature soared to 25+C in many places even as far north as Scotland. RAF Lossiemouth recording 27.4C on the 1st, Rothes in Scotland 28.3C on the 2nd, 28.6C at Brabourne (Worcs) on the 3rd and 28.3C at Cheltenham on the 4th. All these values are record maxima for their respective dates. The weather did become cooler and unsettled by the 6th.

Rrea00119900502.gif

Rrea00219900502.gif

Posted

Thank you as always...I can recall both spells: a snow flurry over the North Downs by Guildford in 1979 and 27c in Suffolk in 1990 (12 miles inland with dense haar on the coast).

The contrast between early May 1990 and 1991 in East Anglia was dramatic: cold and wet with 7-8 maxima in places...

Regards

ACB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

1979 was the last occasion I recorded lying snow at 0900 g.m.t in May; there was 2cm lying on the 1st.

Prior to that it was the 18th in 1968.

We've had lying snow in May in several years but it's unusual for it to last until 0900 g.m.t.

T.M

Posted

May 1997 also got off to a very warm start 27C in London on 2nd and 26C on the next day. The general Election on 5th May that year is the 2nd warmest on record.

The hottest General Election was in June 1970, which was the 2nd warmest June of the century. The date was 18 June 1970, Heath scored a surprise win over Wilson and it reached 31C in London.

Edited by Nick H

• 15 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

2nd May 1990:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 13/05/2007 at 01:11, Nick H said:

May 1997 also got off to a very warm start 27C in London on 2nd and 26C on the next day. The general Election on 5th May that year is the 2nd warmest on record.

1st May, to be pedantic. But yes, very warm and sunny.

I've noticed a bit of a pattern with general elections, in terms of the prevailing weather and the party that wins.

On 13/05/2007 at 01:11, Nick H said:

The hottest General Election was in June 1970, which was the 2nd warmest June of the century. The date was 18 June 1970, Heath scored a surprise win over Wilson and it reached 31C in London.

But that would break the trend I hint at above. That said, Heath was a bit of a softie, from what I gather.

• 5 months later...
Posted

I remember them both. We had lying snow on the North Downs on 2nd May 1979, the only time I've seen lying snow in May. May 1990 was my first in the NW and I enjoyed walking in the warm sunshine in the Lake District. 7th May was a bank holiday and, true to form, it clouded over that day although I think it stayed dry until late.

Posted
5 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

I remember them both. We had lying snow on the North Downs on 2nd May 1979, the only time I've seen lying snow in May. May 1990 was my first in the NW and I enjoyed walking in the warm sunshine in the Lake District. 7th May was a bank holiday and, true to form, it clouded over that day although I think it stayed dry until late.

Only very little in 1979, no memories. 1990 though, oh yes that was a very warm start to May, remember it well. I don't think it lasted though.

May 89 and 92 as a whole best May's of that era. Not bettered until 2018.

Posted
5 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Only very little in 1979, no memories. 1990 though, oh yes that was a very warm start to May, remember it well. I don't think it lasted though.

May 89 and 92 as a whole best May's of that era. Not bettered until 2018.

Yeah, May 1990 from what I remember started off warm and then hot and sunny. Then, it did turn cooler, but most of May that year was relatively pleasant temps. It felt cool or cold into the early part of June.