Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tornado Hits Carrickfergus

Posted

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6641097.stm

Heres the BBC report on a tornado that hit Carrickfergus tonight around 2100 BST. I actually happened to notice the sky to the north here, in the direction of Carrickfergus, at that time and it was completely black, yet there was blue skies to the south as the rain was just clearing. There also seemed to be some very clow clouds around, not sure if thats of any significance... :whistling:

Edited by Intrepid

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Seems nobody actually witnessed a actual funnel touching down. Sounds more likely the damage was caused by strong straight line winds than a tornado! :whistling:

Posted

not sure but it seems unlikely that 'nronal' wind speeds, of the order experienced tonight in N Ireland would cause tiles to be fetched off roofs.

Posted

Oh God...they're using the term 'mini-tornado' again. Oh, and there is nothing 'freak' about these sorts of convective processes. Boscastle....arguably yes; weak tornado's in Ireland from time to time....certainly not.

:whistling:

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

I live about 3 miles from Carrick. At about 8.45pm last night, after about an hour and a half of steady rain, I noticed that the rain suddenly became very intense - to deluge proportions and was accompanied by sudden and very strong winds. It lasted for all of about 3 or 4 minutes before easing - in fact it was just as the last of that front passed as there were clear skies behind. We even lost our satellite signal for a few minutes, something that only ever seems to happen during very intense rain or thunderstorms. My dish actually points in Carrick's direction! Didn't see any 'funnel' clouds though - just seemed like an intense squall line passing through.

Posted
I live about 3 miles from Carrick. At about 8.45pm last night, after about an hour and a half of steady rain, I noticed that the rain suddenly became very intense - to deluge proportions and was accompanied by sudden and very strong winds. It lasted for all of about 3 or 4 minutes before easing - in fact it was just as the last of that front passed as there were clear skies behind. We even lost our satellite signal for a few minutes, something that only ever seems to happen during very intense rain or thunderstorms. My dish actually points in Carrick's direction! Didn't see any 'funnel' clouds though - just seemed like an intense squall line passing through.

Exact same here. Rain was torrential. First time my sky tv has been knocked out as well :p Very ferocious indeed. Caught the local weather at lunchtime and she showed on the radar how it intensified as it hit the east coast.

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
Oh God...they're using the term 'mini-tornado' again. Oh, and there is nothing 'freak' about these sorts of convective processes. Boscastle....arguably yes; weak tornado's in Ireland from time to time....certainly not.

:p

;) :o

I'm personally too far to the West to have witnessed it although Intrepid would certainly have seen the Cloudline for sure, other than that I couldn't possibly comment. For once, and probably the only time, I have to agree with PP, 'mini-tornado' grrrrr...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

STOP USING THAT DAMN TERM MINI TORNADO!

I still dont like people calling Bostcastle a freak event.... It would be a freak event if the sky was bright green and raining trumpets. Howwver it wasnt!

It was just an bad setup where the storm couldnt move and was being fed by external sources!

So i have to tottaly agree with PersianPaladin , i wish these damn reporters would start naming things correctly!

Its either a Freak, Mini , Or Major .. Cant we just have a Tornado! without people adding their own spin! Its got enought of that for itself.

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

See Martin North put it at T2 tornado over in Ukweatherworld.

Also I can see how you missed the heavy stuff Intrepid as they have good radar shots as well. Seems like the heavy squall line passed just North of Belfast possibly right up to Ballycastle.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/foru...21&posts=28

Posted

That tornado/squall line was really clear on the radar and on satellite pics(with mich higher clouds) and even down here w had a sudden torrential downpour that was quickly followe by clear bue skies.

It's talked about here in ore detail:

here