Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Glastonbury Festival 2007

Posted

In 2005 a lot of people on these boards kindly provided their forecasts for the Glastonbury Festival (original thread seems to have disappeared). Nobody managed to predict the extent of the storm we witnessed...

a_river_runs_throught_it.jpg

22424842_bef76a2ce9.jpg

In previous years we have been treated to some great forecasting by Glastoweatherwatch.

He's gone on holiday though. So for 2007, the team at Glastofestivalforecast have taken over, led by the Weather Doc himself: "The Glasto Festival Forecast is brought to you by a crack group of ardent weather stalkers, including a translucent red-head with a lifetime's experience in shade-hopping and the Weather Doc (a man with a real life doctorate in something so brainy there isn't space to type it here)."

Problem is, I'm not sure they really know what they are doing... Can anyone help out woth a 'proper' forecast?

There are a lot of anxious Glastonbury ticket-holders out there. There's already a 15 page thread on here worrying about the weather and another 8 page thread here.

Posted

best you pm Paul I'm sure, as well as the auto forecast which I expect will be done, he may be able to come up with a 'taylor' made effort. No doubt there would be some charge for that one?

John

Posted

Hi, yep as John says we'll have a regularly updated automated forecast on the site as soon as it gets a bit nearer. Plus in 2005 we had a hand written forecast by the forecast team on the site too which I hope we'll be able to do again.

I think we did pretty well in 2005, predicting storms and plenty of rain, as reported in the Guardian newspaper!

Netweather are doomsaying the revellers into a big brown puddle by mid-Friday, while the BBC veers toward the sun

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/glastonbury2005...1512727,00.html

I'm sure plenty of people from the forums will also contribute to this thread along the way as well, so you should be well covered :)

Posted
I remember me and a few others (WIB one of them) predicting 2005s festival would be the hottest ever (around 33c at the time) I don't think that was the outcome...

The Wednesday and Thursday were seriously hot. My car outside temp thingy said 35c on Wed afternoon. Spent most of Thursday looking for patches of shade. It all went wrong about 5 am on the Friday morning :D . Too good to last.

Posted

I was happily reading these boards and didn't take heed because Metcheck had forecast a soaking and they are never right. Until that friday morning. It was a particulary impressive rainfall though. Never seen anything quite like it.

Posted
I was happily reading these boards and didn't take heed because Metcheck had forecast a soaking and they are never right. Until that friday morning. It was a particulary impressive rainfall though. Never seen anything quite like it.

I didn't see any rain, just listened to it inside my tent in between the 3 hours of thunder and lightening that was directly overhead, hoping I didn't get struck :good:

When it all finished I went back to sleep (Thursday night was 'big'). Was woken about 10am by my sister 'phoning to see if I was OK. She had seen the news reports on the BBC and was worried, but I couldn't understand why. I got up and went for a wander. When I saw the lake that had appeared there were police or firemen in wetsuits searching round the submerged tents. Someone told me they were checking in case someone had drowned in their tent. That was a bit scary. Fortunately everyone was safe.

The storm was incredible though, never witnessed anything like it, even abroad. Maybe it seemed worse being in a tent in a field.

Anyway, is anyone brave enough to make a prediction for 6 weeks time yet?

Dates are 20 - 25 June, Worthy Farm, Pilton, near Glastonbury, Somerset. :db:

Edited by paddydog

Posted
I remember me and a few others (WIB one of them) predicting 2005s festival would be the hottest ever (around 33c at the time) I don't think that was the outcome...

Actually WIB was right with his 33c, 13c in the morning and 20c in the afternoon. :good:

Posted

Yup, "bloody hot, but with a strong chance of T-storms" was the broad consensus I got from the 2005 net-weather thread, it was right on the money.

Will be eagerly following the debate again this year...

He's gone on holiday though. So for 2007, the team at Glastofestivalforecast have taken over, led by the Weather Doc himself: "The Glasto Festival Forecast is brought to you by a crack group of ardent weather stalkers, including a translucent red-head with a lifetime's experience in shade-hopping and the Weather Doc (a man with a real life doctorate in something so brainy there isn't space to type it here)."

Problem is, I'm not sure they really know what they are doing... Can anyone help out woth a 'proper' forecast?

"Not sure they really know what they're doing"????? - Paddydog, I shll be having words with you on Mindless Banter ;)

Hello btw - I am the ~ahem~ 'Weather Doc' on Glastofestivalforecast. I'm not a meteorologist, but I do actually have a PhD in reservoir sedimentation rates, part of which involved looking at seasonal variation in rainfall & the like. I also taught meteorology at basic level to undergraduates. What I am reasonably good at is interpreting charts - I impressed myself one year by predicting to the hour when we would have showers at Glastonbury by interpreting forecast maps.

The GFF site is meant to be a bit of fun, but I am very serious about trying to produce if not my own forecast then at least a reasonable precis of the forecasts out there. If anyone does have good links to forecast sites (other than the usual metchecks, weatheronline & this one), particularly those that will give longer term forecasts with maps of pressure, precipitation & winds, we'd all be really chuffed, and your name will live in glory evermore, and praised unto the highest, yea even unto thy firstborn.

My gut reaction for this year's Glastonbury? "Simpsons" skies with fluffy white clouds, breezy, not too cold & with the occasional shower coupled with the odd rumble of thunder. Same as usual then ;)

All help gratefully received & acknowledged on GFF :)

(Pleased to see there's a weather photography forum on herre too - I may have a contribution or two for that one).

Posted

I see a forecast for Glastonbury has gone out

http://glastofestivalforecast.blogspot.com/

With thanks to Netweather I see. Moist high presure air, bit doubtful about this from an azores high. Looks like quite an unlilely forecast to me and doesn't tally with the Netweather summer forecast in my eyes. A lot of time to go yet though!

Posted

I would guess at hot and sunny because that is what I am expecting for June and July, but at this range one blip and it could be anything! It will be fun watching the forecast develop over the weeks though.

Edited by snowingtequila

I make no pretensions to knowing what I'm talking about - my knowledge is entirely amateur & based mostly on what I taught undergrads many many years ago :D

I looked at the charts, described what I saw & tried to visualise what that would mean for us poor folks on the ground. From the information on the charts when I wrote all that guff (a good few days ago now) that you now see on GFF, there was very little to indicate that it was going to be scorching hot & cloudless. The Azores high is there but it was pretty feeble looking, the jetstream is weak & heading directly at us and the the presence of rainy wet stuff to the north & south of roughly where Glastonbury is (bit tricky to nail that down convincingly on a such a large scale map!) doesn't favour a positive forecast no matter how much people want it.

I also know it is very likely to change & long range forecasting is a tricky business, but there is a HUGE interest in the weather from festival freaks - particularly Glastonbury ones because of the infamous muds & floods years we've had to endure :)

Netweather's summer forecast is understandably very broad & general at the moment - I'm trying to nail down specific dates & localities well in advance of what proper meteorologists would. I could go into great detail about probabilities & uncertainty & so on & so forth (I have in previous columns on there tried to explain how the whole business of forecasting works in a light hearted way), but really people want to know if they'll need raincoats & wellies. Given the info available at the moment, it wouldn't be right of me to say "yeah it'll be gorgeous", leave the cagoule at home.

I should also say a huge thank you to Netweather for giving us access to the long range charts & so on, it's made me hugely happy & I really do want to give people a clue as to what to expect, but when all's said & done it's a bit of fun.

Posted
I make no pretensions to knowing what I'm talking about - my knowledge is entirely amateur & based mostly on what I taught undergrads many many years ago :D

I looked at the charts, described what I saw & tried to visualise what that would mean for us poor folks on the ground. From the information on the charts when I wrote all that guff (a good few days ago now) that you now see on GFF, there was very little to indicate that it was going to be scorching hot & cloudless. The Azores high is there but it was pretty feeble looking, the jetstream is weak & heading directly at us and the the presence of rainy wet stuff to the north & south of roughly where Glastonbury is (bit tricky to nail that down convincingly on a such a large scale map!) doesn't favour a positive forecast no matter how much people want it.

I also know it is very likely to change & long range forecasting is a tricky business, but there is a HUGE interest in the weather from festival freaks - particularly Glastonbury ones because of the infamous muds & floods years we've had to endure :)

Netweather's summer forecast is understandably very broad & general at the moment - I'm trying to nail down specific dates & localities well in advance of what proper meteorologists would. I could go into great detail about probabilities & uncertainty & so on & so forth (I have in previous columns on there tried to explain how the whole business of forecasting works in a light hearted way), but really people want to know if they'll need raincoats & wellies. Given the info available at the moment, it wouldn't be right of me to say "yeah it'll be gorgeous", leave the cagoule at home.

I should also say a huge thank you to Netweather for giving us access to the long range charts & so on, it's made me hugely happy & I really do want to give people a clue as to what to expect, but when all's said & done it's a bit of fun.

it would be quite funny to see if everyone believed you though and then got a big soaking!

So what do you think wil happen?

Was it 2 years ago that we chatted on the Glasto board!!!!!!!!!!

S

I think Steve Murr (I think that was his name!) from here got it pretty spot on actually! He certainly convinced me to make sure I'd got my wellies!!

It's good to be back :)

:D

Steve

Posted
Was it 2 years ago that we chatted on the Glasto board!!!!!!!!!!

S

:drinks:

Steve

It was. Hi Steve.

Posted

Do you still use the E-Festival forums??-

Or is there a different thread this year??-

Have you go the link-

S

Yes, still on efestivals - follow Magma's link. There is a long thread here too. This is where the Glastofestivalforecast site has sprung from which is being written by Cumulus Hunt (see posts earlier in the thread) and kindly supported by Netweather.

• 2 weeks later...