Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Glastonbury Festival 2007

Posted

Thanks for all your help Netweather people and thread contributors :)

I'll send you a postcard!

Is there anyway to get daily Glasto forecast updates by text or something?

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Just nikwaxed my boots -- AGAIN.

According to contacts already on site and in the Town, there's been very modest/intermittant rain in Glastonbury yesterday and none last night.

My main ambition is to be able to put my tent up around 4 pm tody (at the Town campsite) and up high above Lost Vagueness tomorrow morning, in the DRY.

I expect little else than rain otherwise ...

I may be some time, said Captain Oates .... have a good time all and come to the Fest well protected. Nikwax and Goretex are your friends. As are the interiors of beer tents and music marquees ...

Posted
Just nikwaxed my boots -- AGAIN.

According to contacts already on site and in the Town, there's been very modest/intermittant rain in Glastonbury yesterday and none last night.

My main ambition is to be able to put my tent up around 4 pm tody (at the Town campsite) and up high above Lost Vagueness tomorrow morning, in the DRY.

I expect little else than rain otherwise ...

I may be some time, said Captain Oates .... have a good time all and come to the Fest well protected. Nikwax and Goretex are your friends. As are the interiors of beer tents and music marquees ...

Because of the likely showery nature of the rain this week, I think you'll see some reasonable dry patches at Glasto, so although you're certain to see some rain, possibly every day I think you've a good chance of some reasonable bright spells too, so not all doom and gloom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I live about 20 minutes away from Pilton and it's fine and dry here, we haven't really had much rain in the last few days so the site should be ok. Enjoy!!

Posted

Poor folks at Glasto. I was going to say they had a near miraculous escape yesterday because the torrential rain where I am in Devon stuck over us and hardly budged, and the forecasts suggested that today's rain band would push up the south east.

Unfortunately, the band has advanced right across Glasto overnight by the look of it, and now there's another heavy convection right over the top. Nothing like as bad as 2005, but it'll all depend on the rest of the festy weather to see if it can get a chance to dry out, or if it'll go the way of the quagmire. Hope they all have a good time regardless.

Posted
Yep, it's wet at the moment, signs of it clearing through soon though.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=events2;sess=;

Probably going to be wet on and off all day..

Sometimes do wish I had the 5 min radar!

Just one query ... isn't the prevailing wind direction now more northerly / westerly now as the fronts begin to swing around? Latest Meto radar I saw for 11 am looks very grim over Glasto. Not entirely sure I'm trusting my trumpeted Meteox Paul ...! Seems at odds with the MetO.

Edited by West is Best

Posted

The wind direction on the rainwatch is the 500hpa winds so should show the approx direction the rain is moving in.

It's looking very wet there right now thats for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
The wind direction on the rainwatch is the 500hpa winds so should show the approx direction the rain is moving in.

It's looking very wet there right now thats for sure.

Persisting it down here, has done most of the night and we're 20 mins from Pilton. Daughter came home from festy last night to grab wellies and duvet to go over sleeping bag, apparently site rapidly getting sludgy. I'm sure they'll have fun all the same.

Posted

i know its early just looked at the radar looks like its pouring down there at the moment :lol: :lol: :D

Posted
i know its early just looked at the radar looks like its pouring down there at the moment <_< :D:D

I hope the smilies are in sympathy!

Yes, this was not really quite what the Beeb were forecasting: more rain in the east. But a very heavy band hit us in the early hours and has now moved over Glasto. Really bad news 'cos it looked like it was drying out there. Spirits were high yesterday, but I've been through this and it can start to fade if it carries on raining. Tomorrow looks like it might be ghastly.

Posted
I hope the smilies are in sympathy!

Yes, this was not really quite what the Beeb were forecasting: more rain in the east. But a very heavy band hit us in the early hours and has now moved over Glasto. Really bad news 'cos it looked like it was drying out there. Spirits were high yesterday, but I've been through this and it can start to fade if it carries on raining. Tomorrow looks like it might be ghastly.

looking at the radar now you lot will need a boat before the day is out :)

Posted
looking at the radar now you lot will need a boat before the day is out :)

I feel so so sorry for them. People look forward to this for ages. It's all very well presenters saying it's ok, but believe me it is horrendous if the wet really sets in. This is a bad year, and worse than 2005 because then at least after Friday it didn't rain again and by Sunday was dry. This is relentless in turning the entire site into a quagmire.

A lot of people are leaving already. I feel so sorry for them.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=83000

Posted
Only wash these Hippies have had for months, do them good !!

I hope none of the festy goers come on here and read that. I know it's meant to be funny, but believe me a really wet Glastonbury is horrible and I feel so sorry for them.

The days of hippies at Glasto is long long gone. Well a few remain, but it's really nothing like that nowadays. I turned up in 2005 in a 25 year old Series III landrover and every other vehicle in the car park was no older than 4 yrs and mainly mondeos etc. It's a very different festy from the old days.

Posted

For at least eighteen hours on the trot from 6 pm Sunday onwards, often heavy, with lots before that too (especially daytime Sunday, on and occasionally off), and only intermittant breaks later on Saturday too. Wednesday afternoon, and the evenings of Thursday and Friday, were the best (least worst) conditions.

Worse than 2005, that's for sure, and worse in my opinion than either 1997 or 1998, two other notorious mudbaths. Although ten years ago the site drainage was far worse and the mud deeper. Still plenty of it by Monday just gone mind! :whistling:

The only Glastonbury that was clearly worse for mud, according to REAL old schoolers, was 1985, when apparantly it pretty much NEVER STOPPED raining for a week up to the Sunday evening of the fest ...

Still had a fantastic time (my twelfth), just ultra frustrating that sitting down was at such a premium, and that the rain never seemed far off resuming again** even when it wasn't actually chucking it down.

**except, infuriatingly, over two nights! The site late on Thursday night was drying out wonderfully, great drying wind at that point

I think we had a maximum of about 4 hours sunshine over the whole Wednesday to Monday period.

West In Best : gambling odds pretty much dictate that Glastonbury 2008 will be a very good one to head for weatherwise, so make sure you come. We are so OWED a dry and sunny one with not even a threat of rain. Fix the forecast so we know this for definite for a fortnight before ... will save so much stress!

Posted

That was seriously hard work! Still enjoyed it - not a vintage year, but still Glastonbury. For the first time I would consider going on a Friday if the weather forecast was like that again. There were bright spells in between - you'd end up stripping off your waterproofs and jumpers for sunshine and then it would suddenly start raining again.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I've learned a bit about the weather. I'll be dropping by and lurking now and again until next time :D

Only wash these Hippies have had for months, do them good !!

Cool, vintage stylee humour from the Jam Davidson / Daily Mail old school. Very funny. :lol:

You do know what year it is don't you? It's not 1973 anymore. ;)