Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The year off 1993

Optimus Prime

Posted

I always found 1993 interesting for it's almost clean cut change from warm to cold from the first 6 month to the last 6 months.

January was very mild and wet with strong winds and record low pressure readings. But with a short spell of snow mid-month.

The CET value ended up at 5.9c +2.1c on the average.

February was vastly different. Mostly dry and anticyclonic. Not particularly mild though (4.6c +0.8c)

March was similar, quite warm with some high temperatures. CET 6.7c (+1.0c)

April; Very warm 9.5c (+1.6c)

May; Wet and warm, easterly month. Major cold spell mid month. CET 11.4c (+0.2c)

June; Very warm CET 15.0c (+0.8c)

First half had an average temperature off 8.9c. 1.2c above normal.

Then came the second;

July; Very cool after warm start. CET 15.2c 0.8c below normal. Extremely low maxima mid month.

August; Cold. CET 14.6c. 1.2c below normal.

September; Mostly cold with some remarkably low temperatures towards the end. 12.4c. 1.2c below normal.

October; Very cold with frosts and snow. CET 8.5c. 2.1c below normal.

November; Very cold after a warm start and snowy. Maximum temperature of -8c at Braemar towards the end of the month. CET 4.6c 1.9c below norma.

December; Fairly mild. CET 5.5c. 0.9c above normal

Second half had an average temperature off 10.1c. 1.0c below normal

Summer was very poor overall. The maximum temperature for the whole year was only 29.7c. Lowest since 1981c. June was almost the warmest month. Summer had an average temperature off 14.9c. 0.4c below average.

Spring was overall extremely cold with all 3 month atleast 1c below normal. Coldest autumn since 1952. At 8.5c it was 1.7c below normal.

Posted

Yes, a very interesting year was 1993. That very cold November certainly stands out in my memory.

Any chance of 2007 going the same way after a warm June? Extremely unlikely IMO but would be nice and you never know!

:)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As look would have it, 1952 is a minor anologue this year, so an outside chance of a cold Autumn, but being realistic, it is doubtful we will see such negative anomolies this year.

Any personal acounts????

Posted

Autumn 1993 is in the top 30 coldest Autumns on record. So it is the coldest season since winter 1978-79 relative to its average.

In Scotland, December 1993 was a cold month so that made it 6 consective colder than average months for them.

Summer 1993 wasn't brilliant but I don't think it was bad as those mid 1980 ones. Certainly temperatures were not much to write home apart but it wasn't a washout. Infact, Wimbledon forthnight was completely dry that year and not a single day was washed out in any of the Test matches played that year.

The cold spell kicked on the 9th of July, when that vigorous cold front swept southwards. After that the temperatures never seemed to recover for much of the rest of the year.

Never forget that thunderstorm on that Friday night in October. It lasted for two hours overhead. Those storms of early June were pretty good as well.

Posted
Autumn 1993 is in the top 30 coldest Autumns on record. So it is the coldest season since winter 1978-79 relative to its average.

In Scotland, December 1993 was a cold month so that made it 6 consective colder than average months for them.

Summer 1993 wasn't brilliant but I don't think it was bad as those mid 1980 ones. Certainly temperatures were not much to write home apart but it wasn't a washout. Infact, Wimbledon forthnight was completely dry that year and not a single day was washed out in any of the Test matches played that year.

The cold spell kicked on the 9th of July, when that vigorous cold front swept southwards. After that the temperatures never seemed to recover for much of the rest of the year.

Never forget that thunderstorm on that Friday night in October. It lasted for two hours overhead. Those storms of early June were pretty good as well.

I seem to remember August 1993 being a fairly dry and pleasent month overall, although obviously not particularly warm. If I remember correctly, there were some record cold nights during the last week.

Posted
I seem to remember August 1993 being a fairly dry and pleasent month overall, although obviously not particularly warm. If I remember correctly, there were some record cold nights during the last week.

Just looking at my spreadsheets for my observations of August 1993 and it was a remarkably consistent month in that virtually every single day up til the last week recorded temps between 19-22C, nothing higher, then again in the last 3 days. The coldest night was the morning of the 25th when 5.5C was logged (this is 150m up in the Chilterns), which I suppose is quite cold for late August, but not exceptionally so.

Edited by Nick H

Posted
Just looking at my spreadsheets for my observations of August 1993 and it was a remarkably consistent month in that virtually every single day up til the last week recorded temps between 19-22C, nothing higher, then again in the last 3 days. The coldest night was the morning of the 25th when 5.5C was logged (this is 150m up in the Chilterns), which I suppose is quite cold for late August, but not exceptionally so.

Interesting stuff!

IMO we need like in 1993 to see a run of below average months for a better chance of a colder Winter, although Winter 1993/94 in the south at least was fairly average.

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As far as I'm aware, the summer of 1993 was distributed as follows:

June- warm in most parts, quite dry with slightly above average sunshine over much of England, particularly the east and south, but wet in the south-west, and very dull in Scotland.

July- on the cool side, generally wet, quite sunny in the east but dull in the west.

August- also cool, mostly dry & fairly sunny in many areas but dull in the north & west of Scotland.

Thus, I reckon that it probably was as bad as the mid 1980s in the north and west of Scotland, but in other areas, particularly eastern England where sunshine was generally slightly above average, it was nothing compared to them.

Posted

IIRC most of June (especially the end of June) and first week of July in 1993 were actually very warm and pleasant, with temps around the mid to high 20s and lots of sun- I remember it coming to an end with a thunderstorm at middday which turned the sky very dark (that must have been July 9th?), temps never recovered after that but it was mostly dry until September as I recall.

Although 1993 was certainly not a good summer here, I'd rate it no worse than 2002 (virtually no hot weather, and very dull, wet at times as well) or 1998 (terrible June and July but reasonable August) and probably better than 1992 (promised so much with a fine May and June but July and particularly August were abysmal); neither did it contain any one month as bad as July 1988 or June 1997.

October and November were certainly memorable with their frosty cold weather (Nov 21st first day with snow lying since Feb 1991), it did snow on Christmas Day (didn't stick though) and there was major flooding round here in early December- not a bad year all in all.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

It is remarkable how cool August 1993 was. There was almost no modified Arctic Northwesterly airmasses and yet the month was a good 1C below average. In fact the prevailing winds were transitory maritime tropical westerly airmasses and sunshine!

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted

Although summer 1993 was cool (Highest temperature only 25.5ºC), it was fairly dry here with almost half the summer rainfall occuring on just a few days (June 11th - 25.9mm, July 9th, 17.0mm, July 16th, 10.9mm and August 22nd - 21.1mm).

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

From personal memory, plus a few diary extracts:

January

A very unsettled, mild first half, with severe gales on 10th / 11th. Continued unsettled but less mild towards the 4th week. A brief, chilly NW blast on 25th, followed by a milder and wet day on 26th - but then more settled, though dull and still fairly mild.

February

A very dry month, with hardly any measurable rain until 20th. Very dull and misty in the first half, with barely any sunshine at all, and no frost.

The third week was fairly mild, cloudy but less gloomy in a run of anitcyclonic NW winds. Colder and brighter on 21st, with a sleet shower in the morning as winds had turned northerly, and frosty evening. The 22nd saw some light sleet later, as a warm front crept in from the west through a ridge of HP over Ireland. The 23rd and 24th were milder and cloudy in WNW winds, but the 25th became wet and windy with a gusty SW wind. The 26th turned much colder with NW winds and some sleety rain in the morning. The 27th saw proper snow showers in a 'true' Arctic northerly, repeated on the 28th, with accumulations around 3 to 5cm, and sharp overnight frosts under clear skies.

March

Began very cold and wintry, with further snow or sleet at times in increasingly dull NE winds. The weather turned more anticyclonic by the weekend of 6th / 7th, as HP relaxed over Scandinavia, but remained cloudy or dull. An abrupt change later on 8th, as clear skies drifted up from France, leading to an overnight frost - but then a largely superb week of sunny skies and light SE breezes. It became warm by day, reaching 18º c by about the 12th.

Mid-month remained warm, but more cloudy at times with just an occasional burst of rain, and temps still reaching 14 to 17º c. Cooler into the fourth week with WNW winds, some bright sunny periods and the odd shower.

Things changed quite a bit around 29th, turning much wetter for the end of the month, with Atlantic troughs piling slowly into western parts, and keeping temps near 10 to 13º c at best.

April

No diary extracts avilable for this month, but I recall it being often mild or warm and on the wet side - especially during the second half. The heaviest rains being around 25th - 27th, being of continental origin and asscociated with misty, muggy and mild east or north-east winds. The month ended drier, sunnier and very warm, as the Iberian low weakened.

May

A fine, warm start - then cooler, but still sunny, as a northerly blast missed most of the UK and swept through Scandinavia into eastern Europe. HP then developed again over Scandi by 7th. On 8th, a diary entry describes clear blue skies and a very gusty easterly wind, but warm in the sun. By the morning of 10th, heavy rain pushed north, as LP became establised near SW England and southern Ireland. Brigther for the afternoon, except for a short-lived thunderstorm which produced huge raindrops.

The week of 10th - 16th was generally unsettled, showery and less warm - and was notably chilly and wet on 13th in a NE wind. By 16th, LP had moved westwards into Ireland, then a vigorous new LP formed over Bicsay, replacing its parent by 17th.

Winds turned brisk and southerly, bringing further dull and damp weather for 16th, but very warm and brighter for 17th.

The 18th and 19th turned fresher in lighter SW winds, with some sunshine.

On 20th, rain spread from the near continent, making for a cool and wet day with light northerly winds and even a crack of thunder at 1pm.

A ridge formed over western parts, then moved across the UK on 21st / 22nd then into Scandi, and so the period was more pleasant with warm sunshine.

By 25th, warm easterly flow had established again, but became tempered by increasing strength and rain moving up from the south. The morning of the 26th saw this rain turn very heavy with thunderstorms.

A more stagnant spell followed, generally cool, dull and damp with light and variable winds, then vigorous lows swept wet and windy weather from the SW to end the month, and temps no better than 15 or 16º c.

June

The first week saw more benign weather develop, with lighter winds and a muggier feel with a fair amount of cloud. It turned very warm and sunny for the 6th / 7th, with a max of 26º c on 7th. The 8th was hot and sunny in a light ESE breeze, and reached 27º c. The 9th was very sticky and hazy, with a short thunderstorm around 11am. Some lightning after dusk later. The 10th was dull and sultry, dry all day until violent thunderstorms broke out in the late afternoon with gusty NE winds and flooding.

Persistent heavy rain on 11th, and only 13º c reachhed. Dry, but dull and cold on 12th. The 13th brightened up for the afternoon with some nice sunshine, though a cool NNE breeze, and a high of 16º c. Heavy rain arrived from the SW later that evening, with a light ESE breeze. The rain eased away on 14th, with a chilly NE wind bringing a sunnier but cold evening. The 15th - 18th has a more W or NW wind regime with some showers, then things turned mainly dry with good sunny periods for the rest of the month, though some chilly nights at first.

I will add the period July - December 1993 in the next 2 - 3 days, as my typing fingers are feeling sleepy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

I dont remember the summer of 93 as being all that bad down here in Bournemouth.. mid-july I remember being wet and August was reasonable even if not very hot.

I also remember the first few days of October as being especially wet with a lot of violent showers between the fronts.. also some cold days in November with one day having a subzero max. Not had one of those in any month since early 1997 here.

Posted

Interesting, but would'nt you say that since March, 2007 has been a slightly warmer version, and now as we enter July, we see temperatures dipping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

One of the most memorable events of 1993 in this area was the monsoon-like event of the 12th/13th May. I remember an uneventful dry cloudy day on the 12th, followed by a huge mass of dark cloud gathering to the north on the evening of the 12th. I remember my dad saying "there's something ominous about the sky". All of a sudden the heavens opened. The rain was so heavy and persistent late that evening that I remember being concerned about possible flooding.

During the 48-hour period from 2000 on 12 May to 2000 on 14 May, about 80mm of rain fell.

Further north, notably in the Scottish Lowlands, this same period was notable for an exceptional snowfall with a max of only 1.9C at Eskdalemuir on the 14th.