Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Carinthians Latest Arctic Reports - (Summer 2007)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
The poleward transfer of heat into the Western Arctic Sector of N.America has produced air temperatures higher enough for the first melting pools in the Beaufort Basin and Chukchi Sea. Thermodynamics in this region sometimes produce acute changes to the polar ice which can shift and breakaway from landlock. However, the depth of the ice analysis at this moment in time records a thickness of 40" with surface temperature still below 0c ,this despite the air tempertures are now rising above that level.

In complete contrast a "winter Low " over the Northwest Territories is feeding Polar winds southwards into the Eastern Arctic of Canada.

C

Further to the above report, a developing cold pool over Svalbard brought snowfall down to almost sea level earlier this morning. Widespread cover in the mountains. Temps today may just reach a shade over 0c.

C

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Very interesting Carinthian, what is also of sinterest is that the surface low pulling the Jet Stream south over Russia is also forecast to remain for the next week at least, so it it possible these two cold pools will connect.

Posted
The poleward transfer of heat into the Western Arctic Sector of N.America has produced air temperatures higher enough for the first melting pools in the Beaufort Basin and Chukchi Sea. Thermodynamics in this region sometimes produce acute changes to the polar ice which can shift and breakaway from landlock. However, the depth of the ice analysis at this moment in time records a thickness of 40" with surface temperature still below 0c ,this despite the air tempertures are now rising above that level.

In complete contrast a "winter Low " over the Northwest Territories is feeding Polar winds southwards into the Eastern Arctic of Canada.

C

Further to the above report, the second half of June, historically records the greatest rate of ice melt in Hudson Bay.This years rate of loss is much slower with more than 30% ice cover than this time last year. Polar winds continue to retain lower temperatures in the region.

C

Posted
Further to the above report, the second half of June, historically records the greatest rate of ice melt in Hudson Bay.This years rate of loss is much slower with more than 30% ice cover than this time last year. Polar winds continue to retain lower temperatures in the region.

C

Sad I may be, but it's amazing how a couple of sentences bring a smile to my face!

Keep up the good work.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
Sad I may be, but it's amazing how a couple of sentences bring a smile to my face!

Keep up the good work.

Hi Ribster,

Yes it certainly makes me feel better to see colder conditions holding on for a change, long may it continue. And fingers crossed more ice retention will maintained until the late August re-freeze, about another 11 to 12 weeks away.

Paul

Posted
Hi Paul, Carinthian, Ribster

More encouraging words to round off the weekend. A much much better weather pattern than this time last year - can it hang on through high summer ??

Tamara

Hi Tamara, Paul, I hope so. Things further north seem much more encouraging. I am also enjoying the start to summer so far. Maybe things will be slightly different this year, time will tell.....

Edited by ribster

Posted

How can it be more encouraging ? the difference between this year and last year is minimal. The one or two cold pools which are left have hung around in the areas mentioned but they haven't really helped the overall ice to be much better than last year only spread slightly diffferently. The Hudson will always melt it's annual ice (and probably quickly in the next 2 weeks as some very high temps get to work).

I am looking for signs that the ice will re-establish as well but I can't see it atm.

Posted

Morning all,

Fantastic shot of snow showers in the mountains above Longyearbyen on latest Svalbard web cameras. Still shows frost on the ground. Can anyone bring this picture up ?

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
Morning all,

Fantastic shot of snow showers in the mountains above Longyearbyen on latest Svalbard web cameras. Still shows frost on the ground. Can anyone bring this picture up ?

C

Morning Carinthian

there you go.

Svalbard web cameras

Posted
Morning Carinthian

there you go.

Svalbard web cameras

Thanks Paul,

They are just great pictures. Makes me feel better !

Cheers

C

Posted
Thanks Paul,

They are just great pictures. Makes me feel better !

Cheers

C

Yes some cracking shots on there this morning, pictures speak a thousand words. :D

Posted
How can it be more encouraging ? the difference between this year and last year is minimal. The one or two cold pools which are left have hung around in the areas mentioned but they haven't really helped the overall ice to be much better than last year only spread slightly diffferently. The Hudson will always melt it's annual ice (and probably quickly in the next 2 weeks as some very high temps get to work).

I am looking for signs that the ice will re-establish as well but I can't see it atm.

would have to agree. Also, although cryoshperes figures aren't the whole story, my recollection (which could be wrong) of last years melt was that it was constantly ahead of the previous year (2005) until quite late in the season so even though we are at a better place than this time last year by a nose might we still be worse off than at the same time in 2005 - in which case a new record low ice extent is still within possibility for the year.

Trev

Posted

Far from perfect but compared to last year the view of Tamara is indeed more encouraging: Most Arctic sectors are showing a surplus to this time last year.

Hudson +30%

Greenland Sea +5%

Barent +5%

Kara+10%

Laptev+5%

Siberian +10%

Baffin+15%

Only Chutchi Sea showing a shortfall on last year.

However, we have a long way to go still this summer.

C

Posted

Thanks Carinthian, but overall things are only marginally better than last year(the lowest on record) and still probably in the bottom 2 or 3 years, also we have more old ice melt this time this year than last year.

Marginally better, but far from much more encouraging.

Let's see how things come out, but discounting the hudson (which as I said earlier always completely melts) I don't really see anything to be optimistic about.

Matt

Posted

Different weather patterns indeed. Sorry not so much splitting hairs but failing to understand what was encouraging, all clear now. :)

The difference between this year and last is quite stark with some areas notably the Hudson much better off, whilst the Alaskan side is quite a bit worse off.

The two pics show this nicely.

Posted
Different weather patterns indeed. Sorry not so much splitting hairs but failing to understand what was encouraging, all clear now. :)

The difference between this year and last is quite stark with some areas notably the Hudson much better off, whilst the Alaskan side is quite a bit worse off.

The two pics show this nicely.

Interesting images, referring to this years image, anybody know what the very large dark to almost black areas are over the ice near Alaska? The same area this time last year was clear white. It will be worrying if that area is really that dark, as it will rapidly accelerate melting.

Paul

Edited by Paul Carfoot

Posted
My guess is that they are deep melt water pools, due to the recent warm plume, still not really good news considering this is generally annual ice.

Thanks, Iceberg, I suspected that, possibly not as bad as soot or black algae, but as you say not good news, as the area looks to be very large indeed.

Paul

Posted
Thanks Carinthian, but overall things are only marginally better than last year(the lowest on record) and still probably in the bottom 2 or 3 years, also we have more old ice melt this time this year than last year.

Marginally better, but far from much more encouraging.

Let's see how things come out, but discounting the hudson (which as I said earlier always completely melts) I don't really see anything to be optimistic about.

Matt

Indeed. A report in this month's national Geographic includes analyses of both polar caps and glaciers right around the world and the story is consistently pessimistic apart from, as we have mentioned on here before, the interior of the Antartic where nearly all the massif is low latitude and GW may, at least for a while, provide a beneficial increase in snowfall.

The report includes some good analysis of the feedback loop caused by increased melt, allowing more water to percolate through to the ground, and so increasing the flow rate of galciers. In the Arctic this manifests itself, in, amongst other things, increased calving. The report also observes the meltpools mooted above, and the lower albedo - so increased rates of melt - that these also encourage.

Also some "good" pictures showing high altitude melt in both Bolivia and Iceland over the past decade. The highest ski resort in the world (Bolivia) is all but alas no more.

Finally, and we have mentioned this before, sites like Cryosphere now may well capture spatial extent of the ice, but the story they don't tell is of the rapidly reducing thickness. If the NG article is to be believed, melt rates will increase in future.

Posted

post-3489-1181824314_thumb.jpg

Open water now seen on the Barrow Web Cam. The week has seen a real break up of sea ice in the Canadian Western Arctic , now recording below average ice retention. The polar ice edge now slowly retreating in the North Barent Sea but more advanced than last year. A prolonged cold pool still exists in the region of Svalbard.

C

Posted
post-3489-1181824314_thumb.jpg

Open water now seen on the Barrow Web Cam. The week has seen a real break up of sea ice in the Canadian Western Arctic , now recording below average ice retention. The polar ice edge now slowly retreating in the North Barent Sea but more advanced than last year. A prolonged cold pool still exists in the region of Svalbard.

C

Hi Just looking at the latest sounding off Svalbard. Indeed there is a developing cold pool aloft with temperatures of -7C recorded at Pressure hpa 850mb. Southward extent of this cold pool is expected over Northern Scandinavia this coming weekend. Cold enough for snow, particularly in the mountains of Nord Land.

C

Posted

post-3489-1181923641_thumb.png

Yes, Duncan bang on cue. Always at this time of year rapid melting takes place in Hudson Bay. The ice thickness here is much less than above the Arctic Circle. You will note that the ice will persist for much of this month in Foxe Basin in the Northern reaches of the Hudson Strait and Baffin Island.

C

Guest Viking141

Hi Carinth. When do we get to the lowest extent is that sometime around end of August/Sept before it starts to thicken again?

Posted
Hi Carinth. When do we get to the lowest extent is that sometime around end of August/Sept before it starts to thicken again?

Hi Viking 141,

Last year was the end of September which is a fair bit later than normally to be expected. There is yearly variability from Mid August to late September. Some years have recorded lowest ice extent as early as the first week in August or even late July as was the case in some years in the 60s. Melting pools always freeze over by early August at the pole itself.

C