Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How do Travel to work

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Okay I live 2.5 miles from work. I walk four days of the week both ways and on one day do the weeks shop at the large tesco's.

The only exceptions are for Doctor appointments and Hospital visits.

If it rains it's waterproofs and walking boots unless you like wet feet.

So how do you get to work and what distance do you travel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I work from a home office so my travel impact commuting is nil :drinks:

At my last job I used the train as it was quicker than driving and there was nowhere to park at the other end or cycled (about 12 miles one way).

I'm afraid a lot of people are just bone idle though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

i walk from wildwood to stafford 3 miles since sep 99 and it always seems to rain for my walks to and from town

my wettest walk of all time was 8th november 2005(around 4.45-5.30pm), i had my huge wimbledon umbrella but no defence against those rains every bit of me was drowned, :rolleyes:

www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120051108.gif wettest walk

Posted

and that reply just about sums you up D-B

I travel to work by train as i have no other option. the bus journey takes over an hour and a hlaf to travel the 11 miles, whereas the train takes 35 mins. so after a 12 hour day the thought of a 1 1/2 hr + journey home on a full bus is not very appealing.

Posted

I'm not able to work anymore, but I walk my children to and from school (about half a mile) every day - except Friday when Youngest has to take his trombone to school. He is too small to carry it that far himself and I am not supposed to carry it, so we have to use the car that day. I walk to the shops (about the same distance) and then get the shopping delivered.

However, before I sound too goody two shoes, I am only trying to make up for Lord P who drives everywhere in either his hateful works vehicle or our lovely Volvo. As far as he's concerned feet were made for putting on pedals.

Edited by Lady Penelope

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Interesting replies so far seems that so far Netweather users are fairly green. If you're not do be shy own up. Just interesting thats all.

Posted

Hows this for good and bad, I work from home so do not travel daily but I own a nice Mitsubishi 4x4 which I got real cheap because there espensive to run 8)

Seriously I think that working from home is the way ahead for many!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't work at the moment, but I used to travel on foot to my junior school (usually with my close mate from around the corner and his mother), and at secondary school I got the school bus, apart from a few occasions during my A-level exams when sixth-formers with cars drove me home.

At University I was always near enough to lectures to be able to walk to them, and did a lot of my work from home anyway.

Agree re. working from home; I reckon that if there was more scope for more people to do at least some of their work from home, there would be many advantages to it, from an environmental, work-life balance and social point of view.

Posted

I drive to work. It is only about 1.5 miles, but I'm afraid dodgy knees prevent me from walking that far. I would need to catch 2 buses, take almost an hour each way & spend £4.50 otherwise.

Dave

Posted

I drive. It's about 12 miles and takes between 20 and 25 minutes.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Ive been issued the company van , seeing we moved another 12 mile away, the distance i travel to work is just under 25mile , so its a round trip of around 50mile

nigel

Posted

I work in my shed and have to walk right across the lawn to get there. About once a month a drive my small diesel van to make a delivery.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I would love to walk to work - from my kitchen, with a freshly brewed cup of coffee in my hands, to my PC. Unfortunately, I am a man who gardens for a living and I would have to be built like four Arnold Schwarchennegers to carry all my stuff and then still do a day's work when I get there. Having said that, I do know a man who is a Landscaper and actually does the work of FOUR Arnies each day on his own. Due to my rather slight physique( my wife says rather offensively that I have chicken legs.....), and age, I find that your average white van that is just scraping through its MOT every year is quite adequate for motoring to work.

However, with age creeping up(is it just me that feels a bit older than last year?), it is now time to find something that will make me greener. I am looking for an enterprise that will ensure I stay at home and earn far more money. Loads of money. Oodles, pots of it, so much that I don't have to leave the house for hours at a time. So much, in fact, that I can then buy a gas-guzzling Chelsea Tractor for my wife(who won't be able to drive it because she is too small and will sit at roundabouts waiting until there is not a car in site)and a top of the range Aston Martin, or hopefully(if I make enough money from this home biz....?)a whole gas-guzzling Ferrari F1 team to play with...............dream on, buster!

Meanwhile, we have

Wind:calm

Temp: 14°C

Qnh: 1010

...And a few clouds overhead at 3700

G'nite

Andy

I work in my shed and have to walk right across the lawn to get there. About once a month a drive my small diesel van to make a delivery.

Do you have to put your wellies on to walk across the lawn if its raining?

Andy

Posted

i drive 30 minutes/miles each way to work

it takes 2 and a half hours on the train and is three times as expensive

Posted
i drive 30 minutes/miles each way to work

it takes 2 and a half hours on the train and is three times as expensive

i used to drive 75-80 miles a day to work after 3 years i knew every pothole in the M25. :drinks::rolleyes:

Posted

I get the train to and from work - around 15/20 miles to London Waterloo from where I live.

However, before I travel to work, I do have to drive my daughter to school (school is around 5 miles from where I live) cos I simply cant fit everthing in before 8am to get to work for 9am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

I drive to work. If I could walk I would, but having the responsibilty of building contracts all over East Anglia (50 mile radius of Haverhill) - I couldn't do without my company car/van. Good on those who do walk to work, especially if ones work place is located within a few miles from ones home.

Mammatus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I drive a 1970 tax exempt diesel landrover. Distance to work varies from 500 yards to 20 miles, about 20% of my mileage is off road, that off road that anything not made in England more than 30 years ago usually falls to bits in about 6 months. The old Landrover does brake but its just so fixable the parts are cheep, believe me I regularly have minor shunts off road into rocks, trees and the like, the underside is shiny with wear some days, the landrover just keeps going. Me and my friends have tried all sorts of 4x4 in Forestry work, they all break quicker and cost more to mend and as regard off road ability, most can be out done with this 50 year old design with out too much trouble. Adequate for my needs, and kind to the environment, 37 years old and still hard at work every day that's saved about 5 or 6 other type 4x4's at least. I must admit I am rough with vehicles aswell, I just get all determined to get the job done you see. If something is in the way I usually drive through it or over it if I cant get around it........It is very good fun too :rolleyes:

Regards,

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
I drive a 1970 tax exempt diesel landrover. Distance to work varies from 500 yards to 20 miles, about 20% of my mileage is off road, that off road that anything not made in England more than 30 years ago usually falls to bits in about 6 months. The old Landrover does brake but its just so fixable the parts are cheep, believe me I regularly have minor shunts off road into rocks, trees and the like, the underside is shiny with wear some days, the landrover just keeps going. Me and my friends have tried all sorts of 4x4 in Forestry work, they all break quicker and cost more to mend and as regard off road ability, most can be out done with this 50 year old design with out too much trouble. Adequate for my needs, and kind to the environment, 37 years old and still hard at work every day that's saved about 5 or 6 other type 4x4's at least. I must admit I am rough with vehicles aswell, I just get all determined to get the job done you see. If something is in the way I usually drive through it or over it if I cant get around it........It is very good fun too :rolleyes:

Regards,

Russ

I don't think you can beat an old 4x4 this Mitsubishi I got is 10 yrs old and drives like new, just think if all cars were built as well how much car production would slow and the benefit to the environment :drinks:

Posted

I drive either 15 or 75 miles to work, depending on which office I'm in that day, and between zero and 250 miles during the day. Public transport is not an option, except at weekends when staying sober is not an option.