Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How do Travel to work

Posted

I walk down the stairs to the office.

When I go to meetings/appointments then I will drive, have attempted/tried public transport on many occasions but it is eitther late or cancelled.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
4 by 4. Work can be anywhere in Ireland. So comfort is important.

Anywhere, as in "lots of places without roads", I presume?!

I work anywhere in England, and when I drive (which is often when I'm carrying pictures, or when I'm touring in a play) I use a smallish, but capacious - and perfectly comfortable - 10 year-old hatchback. I wouldn't be seen dead in a 4X4.....and I'd never find anywhere to park in my street either. And if did find somewhere, then two other people wouldn't be able to! I walk/tube/bus it within London - except when transporting. And then a lot of the time I have an extra £8 to pay, not to mention £4+ an hour parking, courtesy of Ken's "congestion" charge. Needless to say there isn't, and never was, much congestion in Kensington & Chelsea, the newly-extended charging zone....but I must admit that the charge has had the intended effect of reducing my London car usage considerably.

Posted
i walk from wildwood to stafford 3 miles since sep 99 and it always seems to rain for my walks to and from town

my wettest walk of all time was 8th november 2005(around 4.45-5.30pm), i had my huge wimbledon umbrella but no defence against those rains every bit of me was drowned, ;)

www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120051108.gif wettest walk

Yeah, some birthday present that day was ;) Non stop torrents from 9am-10pm.

I usually drive but still have to walk from the car park to the office and back- which can still catch me out as it did the other week (Wed 9th May) when I decided to make a move for it at 5.30 when it had been raining since 1.00- not so much wet T-shirt as wet everything :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Interesting. It seems many of you commute large distances and would be hit fairly hard by congestion charging. Now what are the chances of you moving closer to work since it's beeen suggested by one on here that it's your choice and therefore your fault.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Most days I wander into my office on foot. Most nights I crawl out of it on hands and knees. When I'm not working from home I often do so at my colleague's house which is a 5 mile journey. I drive. I could ride my horse but my computer is too big to comfortably carry and the farm lorries and ghastly White Van Man delivery people make riding along our small country roads dangerous. If I rode her across fields in the straightest line, she'd take off and I'd end up in Wales or Scotland.

I walk into the village to the post office or to go to the pub (a rare event). For all other journeys, food shopping etc., I drive because everything is too far away and out here we don't have the public transport to even get to the doctor's surgery.

Posted

I walk and cycle, depending on the weather but it's only a mile.

If I drive it's 2 miles and takes 5 minutes longer with all the traffic. ;)

J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I have to drive literally everywhere around here, apart from a Post Office there's nothing else in the village. Work wise; self employed gardener, so going public transport is not an option, there are three buses a day in and out of Bath - that's it. I drive an Audi A6 Tdi, use it for work too, with the back seats down it's more than big enough most of the time. I didn't see the point of having a van for work and a car for weekends or be lumbered with a 4x4 doing minimum miles per gallon, the A6 does about 45mpg and they go on for years with next to no maintainance. It replaced an old Audi Avant which eventually died with close on 200,000 on the clock, I'll keep this one until it dies too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
I walk and cycle, depending on the weather but it's only a mile.

If I drive it's 2 miles and takes 5 minutes longer with all the traffic. :doh:

J

Yes Johnny, I noticed that Newbury seems more busy now than before the bypass. The people that wanted it are now wrong and Swampy was and is right, but he is a New age traveler, the unclean so he can't be right :nonono: He deserves Knighting IMO. All that money would have been spent on Rail if they listened to Him and his ilk, and by now Newbury would be a very pleasant place to live, where you can actually cross from one side of the road to the other in under an hour(!), plus an ambulance or fire engine has a good chance of getting through quick... 8)

Make Swampy the new Conservative transport Minister and I reckon the Tories would win the next election and stay in power for ever................. :lol:

:unknw:

Sorry about going off on an off topic ramble b/w.

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

I have a 44 mile round trip to work and also have to have my car available for work so don't really have any choice but to drive. My last job involved a 120mile round trip every day and the lack of frequent public transport (only one train every hour in rush hour and every other hour outside of that) meant that it wasn't a viable option. Had there been one every half hour, I'm sure I would have used it as it would have made life less stressful.

Posted

I live, work and play in the same street, so walking is the way to go. I don't have a car so use public transport, which can sometimes be frustrating outside the city.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I bus it to the station from home [two and half miles] and train into East Croydon where I have to change to get my connection to Thornton Heath. We were a two car family but have reduced to one car and my wife has that as she looks after little 'un [2 years] full time. I have to admit that it is down to funds rather than anything else why I do this...I get free rail travel too! It is a pain sometimes as I do shift work but also has pluses too...and I don't mean environmentally....sorry. The fact I am green is a bonus but can't take any credit for it.

BFTP

Posted

Unfortunatly I drive. My work is 6 miles away and my youngest goes to school 5 miles away, so have to leave home at 7.30 to get her to child minder next to her school for 7.45am, to be in work for 8am. Tried the bus route once and it took me an hour and a half, a lot of stress and was exhausted before the day even began. So my half hour in my car is more stress free for me and my daughter! Downside is I'm not as fit as I used to be when I lived closer.

Geri

Posted

So far major thumbs down to public transport (The Bus) for either being too crowded, slow or doesn't even run.

Posted

I drive to work, about 1.5 miles and yes it's a 4x4, after i getr there i put on the high viz kit and drive up the pier, then after work i do it in reverse, usually calling into town on the way home so i don't have to do more journeys. i work split shifts, 3 shifts a day. so i ain't green :nonono:

oh and the big thing in my avatar ... that's what i drive at work.

Posted

Walk about 500m to the bus every day, and the journey takes about 20 mins. Usually get the bus home, but sometimes share a car home with a pal.

Work provide me with a monthly Lothian Buses Ridacard - so all work business is conducted on the bus throughout the city. Which is sometimes really nice as one regular journey I make takes about 55mins - very relaxing getting paid to listen to my oiPod :nonono:

Posted
Interesting. It seems many of you commute large distances and would be hit fairly hard by congestion charging. Now what are the chances of you moving closer to work since it's beeen suggested by one on here that it's your choice and therefore your fault.

I wouldn't want to move closer to my work because that would mean moving to a crap area that looks rubbish and has a high crime rate. When I do move house (hopefully later in the year) I will consider what public transport is available but it really won't be that hight up my list of 'things I want from my new house'.

I did sell my 20mpg car and get a 40mpg car (That cost me thousands of pounds which I definitely won't recoup in fuel costs) and when this one finally breaks I will buy an even more economical one but that's really the limit of what I will do unless public transport is transformed.

I would loose 1.5-2 hours from my day switching to the bus. If I work out how much I earn per hour then multiply that by 2 hours then that is how much more expensive per day driving would have to be for me to stop using my car.

Posted
I drive to work, about 1.5 miles . . . then after work i do it in reverse, . .

Tugmistress I salute you. That's a long way to reverse, specially for a girlie.

Posted

I'll be cycling every day next week as I value my car. It's only 5 miles each way, but being Postman Pat country, there's 600ft of ascent each way (and descent, which is fun). How I love it when the ladies stare when I wear my lycra. "Good god, will you look at that" they whisper.

Posted
So far major thumbs down to public transport (The Bus) for either being too crowded, slow or doesn't even run.

Thumbs down to the train as well for me.

Out of the 8 times I have decided to use a train to go to London, I was late once, so drove instead, once I was waiting for 25 minutes in the queue for a ticket as my local station doesn't do the collect at station for online purchases and just as I got to the front of the queue the train went, and the other 6 times the train was either extremely late or cancelled. I cannot get an earlier train locally as the first one is at 6 so unless I go the night before and stay in a hotel at even more cost, then it is considerably less expensive and more reliable to drive and pay the £12 for a days parking in Victoria

Edited by Pickles

Posted

What is coming across loud and Clear there are problems with public transport. Since there isn't going to be any real effort to improve this in the near future it looking like hard times are coming for people who have bothered to get of there backsides and work.

Posted
What is coming across loud and Clear there are problems with public transport. Since there isn't going to be any real effort to improve this in the near future it looking like hard times are coming for people who have bothered to get of there backsides and work.

No such problems for me. When I worked full time, I would cycle down the hill to the rail station, train to Euston in 1/2 hr in a decent 1st class carriage because there was no space (BR days of course), then a 3/4 hr walk along Euston Rd, Pentonville Rd and City Rd to the office (by 0745). Same again in the evening.

Very healthy.

Edited by Nick H

Posted
Yes Johnny, I noticed that Newbury seems more busy now than before the bypass. The people that wanted it are now wrong and Swampy was and is right, but he is a New age traveler, the unclean so he can't be right :hi: He deserves Knighting IMO. All that money would have been spent on Rail if they listened to Him and his ilk, and by now Newbury would be a very pleasant place to live, where you can actually cross from one side of the road to the other in under an hour(!), plus an ambulance or fire engine has a good chance of getting through quick... 8)

Make Swampy the new Conservative transport Minister and I reckon the Tories would win the next election and stay in power for ever................. :lol:

:hi:

Sorry about going off on an off topic ramble b/w.

Russ

Eh? Ever considered what Newbury would be like without the bypass? Swampy was not right he was just another environmentalist luddite. We have to have roads & good ones too. The whole of the A34 between the M40 at Oxford & M3 at Winchester shoud have been built/upgraded to motorway standard.

Perhaps the reason that Newbury is so crowded is because it's full of former London residents happy to pay £200,000 for a 2 bed terrace (costing less than £90,000 in most parts of the north), rather than £400,000 & then have a 2 hour drive there & back.

I was a delivery driver back in those days & that bypass along with the completed M40 reduced my journey time from Stoke to Southampton from 5 hours to just over 3 (leaving at 3am as I used to have to).

Dave

Posted

I walk.

But I get a lift back because in the dark its too dangerous due to the risk of getting attacked by a random village-chav.

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil

Posted
We have to have roads & good ones too.
Of course we do. How else would we be able to use up the world's fossil fuel resources so quickly that we put the biosphere at jepordy? :hi: