Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion early to mid June (merged)

Posted

Good luck to those waiting for their first storm. Mind you the lightning here last week caused havoc with lots of people's landlines, and ours is still knackered, so be careful what you wish for :lol:

Posted

Looking at all those strikes, i guess i'd better get the cats in now, before they drown during the night! Will try and get some pics if it gets really bad down here..... :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Very strange night out there tonight. Calm, very misty, orange sky, feels like something nasty is brewing!

Lets be careful what we wish for guys

Mammatus :lol:

Posted
Just come back from work this evening and there is consistent flickering lightning and low booms of thunder to my SE out to sea. Noticed it as soon as I came out onto the street in the town.

Now home and sitting in my garden watching what is happening. Quite a lot of sheet lightning and continual distant thunder - starting to sillhouette some cloud structures approaching..!

Tamara

Id love to see that sounds really nice.

thunder and lighting about the only thing isle of lewis gets rearly

Posted

There is some intense activity now starting to cross the English Channel however whilst one major cell developes and continues to intensify to the more to the East set for Kent and East Anglia further west, going by satellite, activity looks in decline. So looks like the Southeast corner having quite a night. Mkae sure to get some pics! :lol:

Posted
Ever increasing strike rate:

post-2-1181257827_thumb.png

thanks Paul. looks like Kent and SE Gtr London may see some activity tonight. Met office warning may be updated soon as flash warnings start to roll out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
being new to this I noticed on pauls image that the strike rate was 19 per min is that high or low?

Quite high!

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Damn anyone noticed the latest METO radar, thats some seriuosly heavy rainfall in those storms, the infrared sat i pretty good also, showing some really high cloud tops going on the reflectivity of the storm clouds... You lucky people in kent are in for some stinkers shortly :)

I'm jealous, if i'd got a free day today and a decent car i'd hav driven down to the south east coast tonight, looks like some really great opertunities for lightning photos tonight :)

Edited by SnowJoke

Posted

I don't think there's anything nicer than being in the garden on a warm humid summers night and hearing rumbles of thunder approaching and seeing lightning light up the beautiful cloud structures. Enjoy it all in the SE of England :)

It's been glorious here for the past few days with temps up to 24c and due to continue till next tuesday with hopefully thundery showers breaking out by then.

Posted
Storms are on the way!

Brighter flashes of lightning now with low rolling thunder and general activity is increasing all the time - every 5 to 10 seconds.

This looks very promising and seems to be heading right this way! :)

Tamara

hey tamara. whats the direction they are taking. is it SE/NW? only they will miss us here in london if so

Posted
Storms are on the way!

Brighter flashes of lightning now with low rolling thunder and general activity is increasing all the time - every 5 to 10 seconds.

Tamara

The radar is looking absolutely crazy at the moment and you are looking good for a direct hit Tamara!!!

Blow it all NNE to london when your done pleaseLOL

Posted
Storms are on the way!

Tamara

Get some pics for us storm starved people !!!

Posted

not sure if the IOW boltek is able to cope at the minute. traking 3 seperate cells one of which has reached severe status, currently it just recorded 93 strikes a minute in noerthern france :)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
Storms are on the way!

Tamara

Send it this way Tamara, suffering storm withdrawal symptomns since the US chase! Can see nothing to the South here yet.

Must admit it looks impressive on the radar returns, but wonder how much of it is evaporating from the high bases before reaching the ground.

Sferics:

post-1052-1181259213_thumb.png

Posted

Storms to the north and south but nowt here as usual.....even parts of NE Scotland have seen lightning today.

And yes, I know the synoptics. Just frustrated that they keep occurring.

Posted
not sure if the IOW boltek is able to cope at the minute. traking 3 seperate cells one of which has reached severe status, currently it just recorded 93 strikes a minute in noerthern france :)

dear god 93 strikes a minute :)

Posted

On another note. been reading the recording on these storms and it seems they are producing lots and lots of +CG & +IC strikes. Is there any reason for them to produce more positive strikes? Most storms I have witness tend to produce negative strikes in the UK :)

This might also be why tamara is reporting very vivid bright lightning, as if i'm correct positivly charge lightning packs a much bigger punch voltage wise than negative bolts!

Edited by SnowJoke