Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion early to mid June (merged)

Posted
Exciting scary though!

What do you reckon the strike-rate is? Is there heavy rain there yet? BTW are you on the coast directly in the firing line? Some big echoes just off the coast!

Posted

I only logged in to have a look at the radar and see the progress of the storms moving into the progged places, particularly Essex. Then I get a big clap of thunder directly overhead south of Edinburgh city centre. I'm very surprised.

Posted

B) -->

QUOTE(Ross B @ 8 Jun 2007, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wasn't expecting that... 2 cells have just popped u to the north and east of here.. No lightning from them yet on the detector though.

I noticed those small echoes too. Did not expect that either!

Posted

I know its a bit ot, but the first 2 seconds from the latest online clip of BBC Weather is rather weird: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/summarie...ather_uk_bb.ram

What on the earth is that sound, lol.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
BTW whilst the attention seems to be on the SE, there looks to be some storms in Scotland too. Anyone able to let us know? :)

Yeah just look at post 53 from Mackeral Sky, he just confirmed a huge crash of thunder overhead 7 mins ago.. B)

Posted

Just had another flight transfered to London ATC requested to divert off track for 80 miles.. ! starting to pick up static on VHF now.

Posted
Yeah just look at post 53 from Mackeral Sky, he just confirmed a huge crash of thunder overhead 7 mins ago.. B)

Absolutely, I just checked in to see what was happening with the storms moving in to the SE. Just checked the 5 minute radar now to see something in the Firth of Forth, and I am not hearing things. I'm up in Edinburgh with work and coming back tomorrow.

Edit: Another low rumble just heard, more distant. So perhaps 3 strikes in the Lothian area in the past 20 minutes. The first strike was very local to here.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
I'm on the Isle of Wight.. any chance that I might see some of the storms?? B)

kelly F is in sandown, she storm watches and should be able to let you know if its heading your way

Posted

Cant see any distance to my South, faily low cloud here, 600ft reported from Southend airport. TAF for Southend/EGMC now has a 30% chance of TS

from 0400 GMT:

2007/06/08 00:10

TAF EGMC 080010Z 080110 35010KT 5000 BR -DZ BKN006

TEMPO 0104 2500 BKN003

TEMPO 0410 1500 +RA +SHRA BKN002 PROB30

TEMPO 0410 TSRA

Posted

The "storm" which has affected Edinburgh is a very localised feature, however something more significant is moving in an WNW direction up the Firth of Forth. If the localised storm which I think created 2 or 3 strikes is significant it could be a lively night also in the central lowlands.

It is nice also to see spending time up here and living in the Midlands and the SE where the regional bias exists with regards weather taking place elsewhere in the British Isles. But I knew this already. Sadly its a function of members versus geographic location which gives the bias. We need members to distribute themselves more evenly across our nation.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
Tamara, is it to early to ask which way the storms look to be heading? (Away from radars etc)

You can see the track on this radar, sorry I dont have the NW one B) you can zoom in and move the map about.

http://www.meteo24.com/uk/index.php?go=4

Posted
The "storm" which has affected Edinburgh is a very localised feature, however something more significant is moving in an WNW direction up the Firth of Forth. If the localised storm which I think created 2 or 3 strikes is significant it could be a lively night also in the central lowlands.

It is nice also to see spending time up here and living in the Midlands where the regional bias exists with regards weather taking place elsewhere in the British Isles. But I knew this already. Sadly its a function of members versus geographic location which gives the bias. We need members to distribution themselves more evenly across our nation.

Had a look at the NW radar mate, the storms just off the East coast appear to be moving NW, so more than likely they will end up towards the Perth area. The cell that developed just north of here is going to miss us but it seems to be dieing anyway.

Posted

Ty Tamara B) Strikestar seems to have the majority of it to far SW of me and looks like that will be the trend. Shame really, its an impressive cell.

Thunderstorm ID W-1656 detected 23:33

Storm location bearing 109.8 dgr distance 268 mi

Last recorded activity 01:58

Intensity class Severe

Intensity trend Intensifying

Current strikerate 42/minute

Peak strikerate 93/minute

Total recorded strikes 6484

Cloud-Ground strikes 3264 - 50.34%

Intracloud strikes 3220 - 49.66%

-- Strike type distribution --

Positive Cloud-Ground [+CG] 2099 - 32.37%

Negative Cloud-Ground [-CG] 1165 - 17.97%

Positive Intracloud [+IC] 3128 - 48.24%

Negative Intracloud [-IC] 92 - 1.42%

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

Who ever does recieve it though - Enjoy! it does look a biggie :)

Posted

B) -->

QUOTE(Ross B @ 8 Jun 2007, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had a look at the NW radar mate, the storms just off the East coast appear to be moving NW, so more than likely they will end up towards the Perth area. The cell that developed just north of here is going to miss us but it seems to be dieing anyway.

Still got a bit of light rain here, I think its headed off towards Grangemouth. The bigger thing is definately headed for Fife and developing a bit on the 5 minute radar. At least the Scotsman said there would be showers overnight for Lothian and Fife.

I hope most of this stuff dies away by morning as by afternoon I want my pipe and slippers to be delivered my faithful hound in Northamptonshire. With the sun out.

Posted

Supprised there are not more on here giving reports from SE England. Alot of activity there now. Though it is a little late. Should be an interesting day tomorrow!

Posted

Can anyone tell me why (on the IOW lightning page) there are red dots constantly over ne'ern france when you play the loop?

Posted
Supprised there are not more on here giving reports from SE England. Alot of activity there now. Though it is a little late. Should be an interesting day tomorrow!

would be updating for the SE if i was at home. unfortunately am at work tonight so even if london does get a good show i would miss it. (no windows here) B)

Posted

The showers that are pushing in along the Firth of Forth in a general ENE-WNW direction are intensifying. They are rather localised and i'm sure this isn't of that much interest at the moment, but if a small localised shower produced a few claps of thunder then the chances are more might be on the cards. I will have to sit down and try to understand why these showers are becoming potentially electrified and heavier later.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
Can anyone tell me why (on the IOW lightning page) there are red dots constantly over ne'ern france when you play the loop?

I think because there are so many strikes of lighting about, the plotter is having a little trouble mapping exactly where the srikes are occuring, seems to be blocking them together in a large mass at the minute. May change as they work a little closer towards the base station, but i wouldn't bank on it with the current strike rate being so high!

Posted

Morning all. Well what can i say. Very nice cluster of storms rolling in. Hope i get one here in Guildford. Well just looking out my window to the E and SE i can see very faint sheet lightning, very sparse but getting more frequent. This will be my first storm of the yr after my tornado fest in USA this past three months. Could be interesting.

Posted

Some really intense echoes now. The entire cell is continuing to grow. Flooding could be a problem even before daylight in some places.

Posted

Night all, enjoy the storms. Potential for one or two more small ones rolling into Edinburgh, the Lothians and Fife judging by the radar after the earlier suprise. Must go as i've got a plane to catch to Luton in the morning.

Have fun.