Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms/Convective General Discussion ...

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Seems that a distinct convergence line is triggering storms to fire from NE London WNW across the South Midlands to the Welsh borders, looks like some rather large rainfall totals if you are caught under one of the storms along the line, UHI effect of London maybe helping explode cells N and NE of the city aswell:

post-1052-1181835002_thumb.png

Cold front curling up from the SW and short-wave upper trough just ahead of it also a trigger for the heavy thundery rain area over the East Channel area coming into Sussex/Kent.

post-1052-1181835174_thumb.png

Steady light rain here from high cloud now. Think I'll be too far West of the stuff coming over the Channel, always the way!

Posted
The storm is backbuilding and ive just had another rumble from another new cell to my SE, looks like itll just brush past to the East.

Joe :)

Skies above Ipswich are beginning to bruise, wonder if that big beast is heading this way?

Posted
I'm thinking about having a nervous breakdown and crying if anyone in my area wants to join me, sky is dark and cloudy here but all the thundery showers are sitting all the wayfrom the NW to the SE in a big arc. Absolutely nothing here :'(

aww hun i will join you apart from a feww rumbles the other night we have had zero storms they have been to the north south east and west but again today nothing over meeeeeee sob sob sniff sniff :) ow that hurts ..

lol kaz xx

Posted

Absolutely zilch in C London Mick, not even a raindrop, we had some heavy tropical style rain when the Updraught was going beserk on that cell to the North East but now we have crapness. Beka I am open to suggestions for a French Chase, would certainly like to go with 3 others to keep the cost down, 4 in a car is a Good number!!

Paul S

Posted
Seems that a distinct convergence line is triggering storms to fire from NE London WNW across the South Midlands to the Welsh borders, looks like some rather large rainfall totals if you are caught under one of the storms along the line, UHI effect of London maybe helping explode cells N and NE of the city aswell:

Cold front curling up from the SW and short-wave upper trough just ahead of it also a trigger for the heavy thundery rain are over the East Channel area coming into Sussex/Kent.

Steady light rain here from high cloud now.

indeed, the strongest convection was in an SE/NW oriented line, and still is although moving slowly east, it really took off suddenly, i guess as the convergence set up, the storm cells developed right overheadwithin about 20 minutes!

Very dark to my east as new cells set up on the convergence line south of the first one, milky skies everywhere else.

Edited by jshaw

I'm thinking about having a nervous breakdown and crying if anyone in my area wants to join me, sky is dark and cloudy here but all the thundery showers are sitting all the wayfrom the NW to the SE in a big arc. Absolutely nothing here :'(

I seem to repel all storms too if it's any comfort.

Posted
Absolutely zilch in C London Mick, not even a raindrop, we had some heavy tropical style rain when the Updraught was going beserk on that cell to the North East but now we have crapness. Beka I am open to suggestions for a French Chase, would certainly like to go with 3 others to keep the cost down, 4 in a car is a Good number!!

Paul S

I'm tempted too....

Posted

Paul S

If you have good views to your East/NE youll see some mental black clouds!

Posted

Paul S

well i shall go for a fag in a minute. i am at old admiralty building so will look straight down the mall :)

courtesy of Met Office

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/...t_warnings.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Storms?......whats all the fuss about? lol....I'm positively green with envy! Its , warm & sunny here in south devon, & I'd swap it for thunder, lightning & torrential rain in a heartbeat!

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Oh Eeerrrrr. Met Office has milton keynes under a severe weather warning now for thunderstorms, everything seems to be moving away though, unless theyare going to start moving east to west in the next few hours?

Latest met radar shows this is a poissibility, showers to the east seem to be back building and affecting bedfordshire now, there must be 3 strong cells only 30 to 40 miles away now

Edited by SnowJoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Cold front curling up from the SW and short-wave upper trough just ahead of it also a trigger for the heavy thundery rain area over the East Channel area coming into Sussex/Kent.

Steady light rain here from high cloud now. Think I'll be too far West of the stuff coming over the Channel, always the way!

Well you seem to be spot on with the convergence just about slap bang over the Evesham area as we have just had a thunderstorm! The winds are east northeast here and the winds not far to the south of us are more or less blowing in from a southerly direction. :)

Posted

Seems as if South East Essex has kept another Clean sheet but only just :) No reports of any Storms there, nearest came within 25 miles, and the MCS Is going to miss by about 25 miles the other side, would have been a shame to lose the record, but for today it seems the forcefield has held firm, at one time a Storm over Medway just fizzled out as it tried to penetrate the force field. :)

Paul S

Posted

Good old Shoeburyness Sounding made an appearance at noon today, and the 12z ascent suggested a rather unstable atmosphere given an convective temp of only 21-22C - cloud tops reaching rather high (250mb) and a fair bit of CAPE through the profile when the parcel trajectory is altered to a convective temp of 22C. Rather juicy atmosphere N and NE of London this afternoon!

post-1052-1181836279_thumb.png

Posted

Raining steadily here and we're starting to get some rumbles of thunder. I can just about hear it over the blasted air con in the office.

Posted

Paul S

Prehaps someone more knowledgeable than me could keep an eye out for the right conditions and when they appear open a new thread for France only??

We would need a driver and some additional passengers. Maybe 2 cars if they can be filled! Work and house moving permitting i'm definately up for it this year.

Posted
Thought you were on roof duty today :)

No need at the moment Nimbus, as it has been dry but breezy for the last hour

so I can have a break and watch these storms develop to the South.

I wonder if Mammatus ( Gavin) is still out storm chasing, haven't read any of his posts for a while

Posted

Just thought. Apart from that point that they are most likely not to happen - is it easier/cheaper to plan a storm chase here? More people maybe able to come also as its not abroad ... Any thoughts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Heavy Rain here, had Rumbles of Thunder Earlier and Just a Little While ago i thought i saw Lightning to the Corner of my eye.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Hi Brian, haven't been out in the car yet. Just standing by the window looking at all the lightning down to my south and south west. Storm still a few miles away but the rains are getting heavier and thunder and booms louder. Thunder cracking away every few seconds. Just waiting to see the dark base edge in and i'll post some images hopefully with some lightning.

Mammatus :)

Posted

I'd love to but i'm a bit to far west to travel.When storms break out over in the west sometime this year? give me a shout and i'll be up for it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Big booms of thunder now to my south west, the skies are looking a yellow colour, evil looking. The rain is still moderate too heavy gradually increasing in intensity.

Mammatus :)

Sorry about all the posts! This is getting interesting!! A massive crack of thunder, that lightning certainly hit something south of me. The nasty storm is only a few miles away! :) That thunder seriously scared me! :)