Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mid June-mid July 1980

Posted

Mid June-mid July 1980 was a very cool unsettled period with low pressures and fronts crossing the UK from time to time. In the wake of the low pressures, as they moved into Scandinavia or the Low Countries, they often pulled down a northerly flow. Maxima were often in the low teens and a local ground frost in one or two sheltered areas on the clearest nights

Rrea00119800620.gif

Rrea00119800709.gif

CET mean: 16th June-15th July 1980: 12.9

England and Wales rainfall: 100.1mm

Only once did Manchester reach 20C during that period and that was on the 3rd of July and on 14 days it never got above 15C as as a maximum.

For London Heathrow, just 4 times in the same period.

Wimbledon fortnight that year was a distinctly chilly one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

And the winter which followed was my most memorable and favourite winter ever. I know there's no correlation between summer and the weather the following winter but allow me a little dream eh.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i do rememba that period cus we went abroad 4 the 1st time ..i was 13 went 2 france..and always rememba it being cool and dull...however the winter that followed wasnt anything out of the ordinary..maybe your confused with winter 81-82..rather than 80-81?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Damn my aging, addled brain. You're quite right, it was 81/82 I was thinking of; bugger, there goes my dreams of a white crimbo. Again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For Summer 1981, see Mr Data's 5 August 1981 storm thread.

As for Summer 1980, there were 5 consecutive thunder-days at Newcastle from 22-26 June, which is almost unheard of in this area. The period 22-26 June would appear to have been bright and showery with storms, but by the looks of the synoptics and the Lancaster stats, the rest of the mid June-July 1980 period looks like it was very dull, cold and wet.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

• 1 year later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

been sorted :)

Edited by mushymanrob