Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Snow of the season!

Posted

I cannot believe this thread has been started in June for crying out loud.

Posted
I cannot believe this thread has been started in June for crying out loud.

:rofl: :lol: :rofl:

Edited by Don

Posted
As we have had threads about when will we reach 25C or 30C, i thought that it would be good to create a thread conserinng the first snowfall, obviously we have had recent snow in the Caringorms, so i am thinking more along the lines of Inverness or Abberdeen.

When are the first snowfalls usually in these cities??

As others stated its a bit early for predicting snow but just for interest i would say Aberdeen will gets its first snow on the 9th Novemeber

Inverness - 27th October.

Posted

The BBC weather presenter John Hammond just mentioned don't be surprised to see some flakes of snow in the highlands tomorrow, this emphasises the cold conditions we are under right now..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

According to the forecast on the tv just now, chance of snow TONIGHT in the highlands. Have they gone barmy or this really possible?

Damn! In the midst of typing this, I was beaten to it. At least I now know I didn't imagine it...

Edited by jethro

Posted
According to the forecast on the tv just now, chance of snow TONIGHT in the highlands. Have they gone barmy or this really possible?

Damn! In the midst of typing this, I was beaten to it. At least I now know I didn't imagine it...

I think it's possible any month, I have read of it snowing in the mountains in August in the 19th century at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

I drove through the Spey Valley to Inverness this morning, and the Cairngorms had a fresh dusting of snow on the tops. Not really too unusual for June, would be more unlikely (though not impossible) in July/Aug. If we therefore determine that the date when the lowest chance of snow occurs (prob late July, say 20th for sake of argument!), then the snowfall today will be possibly the last of the season. After 20/7, it will be 1st of the new season.

Now let's get a life and pray for SUMMER!!

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
I drove through the Spey Valley to Inverness this morning, and the Cairngorms had a fresh dusting of snow on the tops. Not really too unusual for June, would be more unlikely (though not impossible) in July/Aug. If we therefore determine that the date when the lowest chance of snow occurs (prob late July, say 20th for sake of argument!), then the snowfall today will be possibly the last of the season. After 20/7, it will be 1st of the new season.

Now let's get a life and pray for SUMMER!!

:D

Summer would be nice, I guess though if you live where snow is a fairly common occurance then it's not so exciting. Down here we saw nowt last year, zilch, nada oh and the year before and the one before and the one before that, oh as long as I can remember. Time to move me thinks...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Whilst in Iceland I was on a guided tour where they began talking about daylight & the weather in Reykjavik. Even 1000 miles north of here snow is pretty rare there with only brief encounters with the white stuff during winter. Certainly a higher chance than here but with our good friend, the NAD in force, we can never expect too much snow here.

Posted

Apparently Cairngorm had a dusting of the white stuff above the Ptarmigan yesterday! Although the webcam was conveniently out of action so couldn't take a look.

Posted
Apparently Cairngorm had a dusting of the white stuff above the Ptarmigan yesterday! Although the webcam was conveniently out of action so couldn't take a look.

Another whitening on the tops this morning!!

Posted
Did you get a photo?

Sorry, no. I have one of those mobile phones that only make phone calls!! Not going that route for another couple of weeks, so prob won't see it again til Autumn. I wonder if the webcam is back on line?

• 2 months later...
Posted

Quick check this morning - I see that snow symbol has appeared in highland Scotland this Friday night.

Can anyone tell me the earliest snow event we've had for different parts of the Country. Sea level more so than mountains

cheers B)

There is anecdotal evidence that snow affected the A939 in the first days of August 1928, to the extent that it was blocked! I haven't been able to substantiate this, but it is from a credible source.

What is definite is that it (the A939) was "difficult" in 1976 during the second week of September. Above 3,000 feet in the Cairngorms snow lay 3 feet deep and gave good skiing for over a week, this was less than 2 weeks after the record hot spell of August 1976!

Blizzards in July, though rare, are not unknown. Skifreak (a contributor on here) has reported blizzards in July as recently as 1999.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
thanks for this,

what about first snows for

Glasgow

Manchester

Belfast and

London

And Cardiff too :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
thanks for this,

what about first snows for

Glasgow

Manchester

Belfast and

London

Late November

December

Get a machine

:o

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

the earliest snowfall at low levels in england appears to be 31st 0ctober 1934 when 2 inches fell at belvoir castle, leicestershire, also in the costwolds november 1st 1942

ill be lucky to get sn0w in dec and jan in my crappy area 76m asl now in 2000's