Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Snow of the season!

Posted
the earliest snowfall at low levels in england appears to be 31st 0ctober 1934 when 2 inches fell at belvoir castle, leicestershire, also in the costwolds november 1st 1942

ill be lucky to get sn0w in dec and jan in my crappy area 76m asl now in 2000's

As as recent as 30th OCT 2000 snowfell and laid down to low levels, personally can remember snow mid Oct 1993. 1974 was very cold and wintry. Link below shows some extremes in October weather.

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley..._in_october.htm

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
I had snow here in Asby, which settled briefly, on October 23rd 2002.

Yep I forgot about that one OON.

Nice pic of A66 on 30th October 2000 on link below about 15cm fell in very short period of time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/998179.stm

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The earliest lying snow I've recorded here was 30th October in 1974 and in 2000 on the same date.

The earliest falling snow or sleet is Oct 3rd 1994. I've no doubt there are earlier instances of falling/ lying snow in the historical records of this area but it would take a lot of trawling through the books to find them. September 19th/20th 1919 is a likely candidate.

T.M

Posted

Cold air for the time of year has been sinking through the Canadian Prairies and High Plains of the US. Cold enough for snow at sea-level in Regina, Saskatchewan this morning. Then again, snow is possible from late September to May in most of these places. In 1995/6, Grand Forks North Dakota had snow on the ground pretty much from October to April...

Posted
The earliest lying snow I've recorded here was 30th October in 1974 and in 2000 on the same date.

T.M

Same here with a covering of snow in the morning which thawed but it was a very disturbed couple of days from this deep low with severe gales torrential rain/hail flash flooding aswell as a sleet/snow shower later on the 30th with a severe squall to boot. B)

Rrea00120001030.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/20...00220001030.gif

Posted

The earliest falling snow or sleet is Oct 3rd 1994. I've no doubt there are earlier instances of falling/ lying snow in the historical records of this area but it would take a lot of trawling through the books to find them. September 19th/20th 1919 is a likely candidate.

T.M

I remember blizzard conditions in Aberdeen on 2nd October 1994 but the snow didn't lie in the city centre. The 4th May 1997 I woke up to a covering of snow which lasted only a few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I haven't come across sleet, let alone snow, in October in the Tyne & Wear area, although 30 October 2000 had rain at a temperature of 3C, and snow was reported further inland. However, I did witness sleet on 20 October 2002 at Lancaster University, when a band of rain moved north into cold air, and the rain turned sleety for a time with a temperature of 3C.

The earliest snow I've ever witnessed was on 8 November 2001, though I do vaguely recall wet snow during a fireworks display in 1992.

The Octobers of 1992, 1993, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2002 and 2003 have all featured snowfalls in some parts of lowland Britain, but away from high ground they have tended to be localised.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

I'm sure I remember waking to lying snow here in late October, either 2000 or 2001, think it was 2000 but can't remember for sure, but I do remember driving to work in the early morning and hearing the traffic news warning of snow on ungritted roads and thinking 'You're not wrong there mister' !

Posted
I'm sure I remember waking to lying snow here in late October, either 2000 or 2001, think it was 2000 but can't remember for sure, but I do remember driving to work in the early morning and hearing the traffic news warning of snow on ungritted roads and thinking 'You're not wrong there mister' !

30th October 2000, we had falling snow at sea level here. October 2001 is the warmest October on record for the CET

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

There was snow in the Dublin hills in october 2003.Also if i remember correctly a few times aswell back in october 1981, i remember that was a very cold october there must have been some snow at low levels in Britain sometime during october 1981 as it was one of the coldest octobers in 20th centuary.

Posted
An early snowfall from the 20th century: 31st October 1934.

1934a.jpg

1934b.jpg

1934d.jpg

1934f.jpg

1934e.jpg

Interestingly, December 1934 was the joint mildest on record with December 1974 and had a of CET of 8.1C!

:rolleyes:

Posted
An early snowfall from the 20th century: 31st October 1934.

1934a.jpg

1934b.jpg

1934d.jpg

1934f.jpg

1934e.jpg

What a great post, thankyou very much for that it made both very interesting reading (Ambleside being appreciably milder than anywhere else seems very strange!) and also just shows how informative and detailed weather forecasts were some 70 years ago even.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I remember it quite clearly aswell and it must of been around then as I was about 9 or 10.

Posted

Have to make another comment about the fantastic excerpt posted from a newspaper with regard to october 1934.

The information with regard to depths of snow and roads closed is fantastic and superb. I sometimes go on ceefax in the winter months to check which roads may be closed, I don't think any of the broadsheets today provide such information.

Once again a great post and if you have anymore I certainly would be very pleased to see them..

Posted

A recall a heavy snowfall in West Yorkshire when I picked up my first ever set of wheels (Mk2 Fiesta!).

It was either November 1995 or November 1996. If I was to bet on it I would say November 1995.

Be interesting to see the synoptics of that day.

We had about 2 or three inches in Bradford.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It will probably have been sometime in November 1996, the main possibilities are:

19 November 1996- low pressure system pushed into an area of cold Arctic air. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119961119.gif

Or overnight 22/23 November 1996- NW winds brought snow showers. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119961123.gif

I doubt that snow showers will have penetrated far enough inland to bring anything to Bradford in November 1995, but there was certainly a cold snap that month, with heavy thundery wintry showers near the east coast:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119951117.gif

Posted

Talking about early snowfalls, I suppose you could add the July 1888 snowfalls to that list as being a very early in the season for a snowfall.

It occurred in the second half of the year and if you divide the potential season as July to June. July being the start and June the following year, the end of that season.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...p;#entry1063907

Posted

The earliest i've witnessed snow is mid november, in 2001, when i used to live in blackpool can't remember the date but we had breif light snow showers that day with abit of hail, i'm sure eastern england was covered in snow during that time.

And for fun the lastest iv'e seen snow is April, can't remember what year ( probs the late 90's or early 00's) but it was easter hols and i was gobsmacked seeing it snow.

Nothing extreme but there you go, ;)